Some idea as to where i'll get in?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Some idea as to where i'll get in?
By allison on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 05:30 pm: Edit

SAT I: 1540 (800 Verbal)
GPA: 3.62/4.00 unweighted (this is the bad part.)
SAT IIs: 730/730/still waiting for it, but >700 (Math IIC/Bio/Writing)
Regents Scores are all high, for those of you from NY.
2 AP classes junior year, 5 this year
All others honors

Awards:
National Merit Semifinalist
NCTE (National Council of Teachers of English) Nomination
Summa Cum Laude, National Latin Exam
"Who's Who Among High School Students"
Member of Nat'l Honor Society
"Most Essential Rower" - Crew
"Most Dedicated Swimmer" - Swimming
Nominated for "Swimmer/Scholar Award" (Scholarship) - Swimming
Member of 1st Place Cleanwater Congress Team

Extracurriculars:
Trombone:
-3rd Chair in honors band, in a school with an excellent music program
-Member of the orchestra
-Member of the Jazz Band (also honors ensemble)
-Part of a brass ensemble made up of the "best" players in school
I also play the piano.
Varsity Swimming: 4 years, captain this year, made sectionals all four years.
Varsity Rowing
President of Latin Club, member for 2 years
Member of German Club, member for 3 years
Vice-President of Environmental Study Team, member for 3 years
Copy-Editor of the Newspaper, reporter for 4 years
Youth Representative to the district for my youth group, member for 4 years.
Club Swimming - year round, have made YMCA states for 3 years.

Summers:
CTY Summer Program - 4 years
Summer Job at outdoor theater - this past summer

My grades in math are rather poor, comparatively, but i'm in the most advanced classes.

I'm applying to:
Bowdoin
Harvard
Columbia
Wesleyan
Haverford
Bryn Mawr
Barnard
Kenyon
Connecticut College
and 2 safeties that i will get into.

What are my chances? Will applying ED to Bowdoin (2nd wave) improve my chances of getting in there? Will my GPA really hurt me?

By chillywilly on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 06:51 pm: Edit

I predict you'll get into Kenyon, Bryn Mawr, Barnard, and Connecticut College. Harvard and Columbia are doubtful. Would be really curious what people think about your chances at Haverford - 'cause I appl there too. My GPA is about like yours, my ECs are weaker, and my SATs are a little lower too. I applied ED, however.

By I on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 07:21 pm: Edit

You'll get in to Conn, Kenyon, Bryn Mawr definitely. Possibly to likely that you'll get in to Bowdoin, Barnard, Wesleyan, haverford. Twenty percent change for Harvard and Columbia

By allison on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 09:03 pm: Edit

oh, and a note: my essay is very good (at least, so i think and have been told - i'm a very good writer, not to sound cocky...), my rec.s should be PRETTY good, but i'm not sure if they'll be excellent

By allison. on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 09:51 pm: Edit

oh, and i submitted a research paper to the Intel search. i forgot about that.

seriously, though, any input would be appreciated... please!

By Allison (Allison) on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 12:32 pm: Edit

bump

By asdf on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 12:36 pm: Edit

Dammit. You fart. You will get into Columbia. WHY DIDN'T you apply to more IVY's ??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PPL like you annoy me. 1540 dammit.

By Allison (Allison) on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 12:38 pm: Edit

sorry! my gpa sucks, if that's any consolation, i'm not sure i'm even in the top decile. but that's why i'm so stressed out... do you really think i'd get into columbia? because then i won't do bowdoin ED. it's my 3rd choice, after the ivies.

By Allison (Allison) on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 12:39 pm: Edit

(i'm not really ivy-driven, to answer your question about why i didn't apply to more. i'd probably be better off at a small liberal arts school in the middle of nowhere, but i've loved harvard since 6th grade, and nyc is my favorite city.)

By qwe on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 01:48 pm: Edit

Apply to Amhest and Swat. .. . .. I'll cut my dick off if you don't get in. you don't know how much this annoys me...... IVY LEAGUUEEEEEEEE

By qwe on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 01:50 pm: Edit

i mean IVY-CALIBERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRr

By Gard on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 01:52 pm: Edit

Bowdoin
Haverford
Bryn Mawr
Barnard
Kenyon
Connecticut College

Crappy colleges. Don't apply. Don't undersell yourself dick.

By Allison (Allison) on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 01:52 pm: Edit

i don't like either of them, otherwise I would. i'm sorry it annoys you... but you're actually one of the few who thinks i'm "ivy caliber" or whatever. i don't think i have enough of anything, just good scores. but thank you for your help, and if anyone else has advice, please provide it! thank you.

By tjfht` on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 01:53 pm: Edit

Still time. Still time. Still time. Change your mind. Still time.

By Allison (Allison) on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 01:56 pm: Edit

in regards to bowdoin and haverford, Gard, they're my 2 favorite non-ivies, and i AM applying to them. and i'm not a dick. but thank you. and i honestly hated both amherst and swarthmore... i was basically asking about the colleges i listed, not about additional ones, unless you think there's one that's really PERFECT or something. again, though, thank you.

By Zee on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 02:00 pm: Edit

Allison,

Check my post out:
"GOD HELP !! NEED TO CONDENSE MY COLLEGE LIST 16 SCHOOLS!!!!!"

You?re in great shape. My God, I think I've overrated myself!!! I?m very worried.

By Allison (Allison) on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 02:02 pm: Edit

thanks, zee. now i feel like a dick (thanks gard) because i posted this, because someone will come along and be like "wow, you just posted this so you can brag," which i honestly didn't. any other help (and reasons) will be appreciated, because, at least in my school, i really don't look like a great candidate for anywhere. it's a public school, but it was ranked in the top 10 in the country by the wall-street journal last year. anyways, zee, i'll check yours out.

By fava on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 02:22 pm: Edit

I have similar stats (although my SAT I is a bit lower than yours). I plan on applying to Bowdoin ED II if I get deferred from Middlebury ED I. Good luck!

By Allison (Allison) on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 03:04 pm: Edit

thank you, maybe we'll go to school together!

By Allison (Allison) on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 09:44 pm: Edit

bump again

By Allison (Allison) on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 10:49 pm: Edit

bump a third time

By Allison (Allison) on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 08:37 am: Edit

bump. please help me out, i need to know whether or not i should check that "ED" box on my bowdoin app!

By Rinaro (Rinaro) on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 12:07 pm: Edit

allison... what school are you from? Styuvesant?

By Allison (Allison) on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 03:49 pm: Edit

no. is stuyvesant public now? anyways, it's in upstate new york. observing the rules of internet etiquette, i won't say more. but some advice would be nice .

By Allison (Allison) on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 06:13 pm: Edit

bump. and congratulations to all who got in!

By Allison (Allison) on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 08:14 pm: Edit

bump

By ... on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 10:23 pm: Edit

i dunno... that gpa is pretty low, i'd say you'll have trouble with most ofthose schools.

By fatherted on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 10:26 pm: Edit

ed is dangerous! ea is encouraged!

By Allison (Allison) on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 10:35 pm: Edit

there is no ea at bowdoin.

By ertdrgftftdd on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 10:44 pm: Edit

theres no way in hell you will get into ivies w/ that gpa. people in my school got deferred with 4.3/4.0s. you better stick with the •••• schools you are also applying to loser

By Allison (Allison) on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 10:53 pm: Edit

why thank you, you're too kind. but you're also probably right. but the non-ivy schools i'm applying to AREN'T ••••... at all!

By Juanele on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 05:04 pm: Edit

do you think I can get into UT Austin, Texas A&M, Trinity University, Beloit College and UW-Madison?
Stats:
Hispanic male, born in Mexico
Public HS-very low performing avg school SAT/ACT =700/16
Low income family=less than $13,000
Part-time job in order to supplement family income..30 hrs per week
GPA=85.....but showing rise...last report card 97..overall
SAT=1180/610V/570M
ACT=27C
passed AP lang. & comp w/ a 3...only 5 total in school passed
taking dual credit fresh. comp and intro to pysch
have interned w/ doctor...plan to major pre-med
Texas resident
varsity cross country, track
in charge of senior video committee
good essays....good rec's....

By Pat57575 (Pat57575) on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 05:45 pm: Edit

You should get into UT and A&M no sweat... (are you in the top 10% of your class?) Emphasize your work history and underpriviledged background in your essays. Trinity San Antonio? That might be a bit of a reach but you're definitely in the running. I dunno anything about beloit and madison.

By Me12345 (Me12345) on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 08:01 pm: Edit

<removed>

By Allison (Allison) on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 08:42 pm: Edit

what is this?! please get your own thread...

By Allison (Allison) on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 01:28 pm: Edit

bump

By bump on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 06:48 pm: Edit

bump

By Juanele on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 07:26 pm: Edit

thanks alot Pat57575 (Pat57575).....oh yeah i am ranked 83 out of 319 (top 26%...off by one place to be top 25%). although at the midpoint of my junior year i was 159 out of 380. hopefully at the midpoint of this year i will be in the 40's rank and will be in the top 15% or 20%. i hope this will show an upward trend. i will also be taking a continuing education course at San Antonio College in order to work in a hospital environment(Monitor Technician) during next spring after school. i hope this will also show an initiative to the admissions counselors which i have also maintained good contact with (mostly at UT). i will also retake the SAT and ACT and hope to bring up my scores to 1250 and 30 respectively. i plan to major in nursing at UT and in cell biology at a&m and IB at Trinity. now what do you think my chances are?

By Allison (Allison) on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 09:35 pm: Edit

please get your own thread! i'd even offer you advice... but could you just post it on your own thing?

By seeker on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 09:55 pm: Edit

Hahaha hijack.

By Allison (Allison) on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 03:31 pm: Edit

ok, i don't know if this changes anything, but 790 writing SAT II.

By Ron on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 03:41 pm: Edit

Yes, lets make a new rule: If someone asks for advice, give them advice. DON'T just take over his/her thread with your own statistics and attempt to gain advice on your own college profile!!!!!!!!

By Allison (Allison) on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 04:53 pm: Edit

thanks, ron. and on that topic: anyone with some more advice for me, now that my applications are in?

By Allison (Allison) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 09:18 pm: Edit

an update in case anyone cares: i am going to bowdoin next year. perhaps this is helpful to you, i don't know

By Whodaman (Whodaman) on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 08:33 pm: Edit

allison did u get into columbia or harvard?
im a newbie to the board so im sry i couldn't post sooner but your stats are amazing...i cant imagine with all the extar curr. stuff an the amazing sat1 and sat2 writing score you wouldnt get into all the schools, cept the two ivies(they are always gambles no matter your stats), but m just curious as to whether you picked bowdoin over columbia....have fun at college

By Allison (Allison) on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 11:10 pm: Edit

i have no idea if i got in, i withdrew my applications, since early decision admissions are contingent on this. i was told by several different guidance counselors, etc., that i'd probably have gotten into columbia, but, as to harvard, it's quite doubtful - no one from my school got in, and there are people who are much more qualified than me...

thansk for thinking i have amazing stats :-). it makes me happy. but i decided that bowdoin was the best place for me, and i don't regret doing ED. best of luck with your college process, if you're just beginning it, or with college, if you've already gotten in. :-)

By C_C (C_C) on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 10:48 am: Edit

Um, last time I checked, 3.6 is an A average.....this is bad?!?!

By Allison (Allison) on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 11:09 am: Edit

that was over a year ago. it obviously wasn't bad enough to prevent me from getting in, but it's certainly bad at my school - barely top 10%, if it's even in it. to get into a school like bowdoin, one generally needs a higher "rank" than that.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page