GOD HELP !! NEED TO CONDENSE MY COLLEGE LIST 16 SCHOOLS!!!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: GOD HELP !! NEED TO CONDENSE MY COLLEGE LIST 16 SCHOOLS!!!!!
By Zee on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 01:39 pm: Edit

I need to condense my list; I can't possibly apply to all these schools. Please help me.

I'm a full-paying international applicant from India. I'm aware of the fact that international applicants usually have high math scores with lacklustre verbal scores (for obvious reasons); as you can see, I'm quite the opposite--how will this affect my chances? Besides my test scores, all other elements in my application are beneficially "unique".

SAT: 790 Verbal
640 Math

SAT II (expected on the December administration)
Writing 700+
Literature 700+
Math IC 630-670

TUFTS
GOERGETOWN
NYU
AMHERST
SWATMORE
University OF CHICAGO
STANFORD
UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN- ANN ARBOR
HARVARD
PRINCETON
YALE
BROWN
DARTMOUTH
COLUMBIA
UPPEN
CORNELL

EC
-- Soon-to-be-published author
Some months ago I started to write a book. The Skydancer is a 'factional' thriller based on true events of a 15-year old Tibetan Lama's incredible escape across the Himalayas from Chinese-occupied Tibet on the eve of the millennium. It is a real-life adventure about Ugyen Trinley, a handsome, effusive teenage Lama who is the target of Chinese assassins on the Roof of the world. The young Lama's run for freedom
across the
Himalayas was a David and Goliath situation played out on an extraordinary spiritual battlefield. Like 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil' it is both a real-life entertainer that observes a fascinating society and a cinematic travelogue that cartwheels the reader across a magical landscape. And this is the story of the boy-king who may well emerge as Buddhism's next spiritual head and who is expected to lead Tibet's struggle for freedom in the 21st century. Well, I finally completed 3 full chapters and a detailed chapter by chapter synopsis and mailed the whole 60- page package to the Managing Editor of a leading publishing house in India. I received an acceptance letter soon after =)

-- Interviewed Abdul Kalam, India's new President. I believe I'm the youngest person to have interviewed an incumbent Indian head of state. (School paper & national daily)

-- Audience with His Holiness the Dalai Lama slated to take place sometime in January. I will enclose the questions I intend to pose to him within my application package. (School paper & national daily)

-- School Paper, political editor

-- summer with a major news paper( work exp.)

By Zee on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 01:56 pm: Edit

Remember, my post has a specific purpose: I need to know which schools to exclude from my list and why. Please answer carefully; I am my own councilor, so what you say will influence me.

By indian here on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 01:56 pm: Edit

You're in at all of them except HYP, which will be tough. To condense your list, take out the ones that have a bad journalism department since that's what it seems you plan to do in college. Like, Princeton is wicked hard to get in and has mediocre journalism department. It's unnecessary to apply there. Money is probably an issue for you (50 rupees is a Dollar here). So fifty bucks is a ton of money (2500 rupees!) So, cut it down in half.

By Zee on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 02:11 pm: Edit

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. Fortunately, money isn't too much of an issue. I have more to say but my computer is about to shut down (power cut, malfunctioning generator, UPS has 2 minutes worth of power remaining).... I'm in hell.

By Do something for your Country......... on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 12:57 am: Edit

Go visit the colleges you are most interested in. Research all the colleges yourself and find one that you are REALLY sure you will like to spend the next 4 years of your life at. And don't screw up US journalism more than it is.

By Zee on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 01:23 am: Edit

Hello,

My preference really isn't a consideration -- with colleges such as the ones I'm applying to, I don't think I will have a choice. Because of my lopsided statistics, I haven't been able to clearly identify my "level," if you get my drift. On the basis of my "chances" of being admitted, how should I go about condensing my list?

By DUMBLEDORE on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 10:32 am: Edit

Try out these 6: TUFTS, NYU, SWARTMORE,
STANFORD, UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN- ANN ARBOR
and UCHICAGO, A LITTLE VARIETY. TRY NORTHWESTERN IN CHI, COLUMBIA, OR MIZZOU FOR PURE JOURNALISM PLAYS. GOOD LUCK FROM HOGWARTS!

By shellman on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 10:47 am: Edit

Just a note: Georgetown's Walsh School of Foreign Service offers excellent preparatory programs on journalism, with majors in IPO and IPE. Great school for journalism lovers, i think.

By Allison (Allison) on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 02:06 pm: Edit

i think it all depends on what kind of school you want. i hated nyu, because it has no campus, and that, for me, doesn't denote "the college experience" at all. on the opposite side of things, i hated amherst and swarthmore, because everyone there seems to look exactly alike. (haverford's my favorite of the tri-co.) penn, michigan, and cornell are huge, you might get lost in the woodwork - i don't know whether or not you want that. and i just didn't like brown :-). but honestly, it's up to you. and if you really WANT to apply to 16 schools, go for it, just don't exhaust yourself with applications. (be like me - the only non-common app i'm applying to is columbia :-).)
i hope that some of this helped you. i can't eliminate schools FOR YOU because i'm not you. but maybe some of the things i said will aid you in your decision.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page