DOESN'T ANYONE HERE WORRY ABOUT MONEY??!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: DOESN'T ANYONE HERE WORRY ABOUT MONEY??!!!
By Pobre on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 01:22 am: Edit

Everyone here is saying things like "Do I have a shot at Harvard? Princeton? Yale?......" You all know that the IVIES cost about $40,000 total per year? How the hell does everyone afford that?

By pobre2 on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 01:45 am: Edit

true, true......they're all a bunch of stuck up who wont settle for state school......hell i'd give everything for state school...UT total is like $16,000 a year. my dad doesnt even make that.....come on harvard is overpriced.....if these kids knew the value of money they wouldnt do stupid decisions like that......

By rico on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 01:47 am: Edit

Oh, so that's why people like you would be working for me in a decade or so.

By Pobre on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 01:47 am: Edit

But seriously, even for the upper middle class kids, don't they realize that they're not gonna get enough financial aid to cover 40,000 a year?

By Alix on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 01:18 pm: Edit

if you are poor, ivies pick up the tab 100%. I know a girl that goes to Yale for $600 a month.

By Mike (Mike) on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 01:34 pm: Edit

Some schools provide most of your need. The problem is I worry about my parents being able to meet the family share. The forms are biased against people who own their homes and have their retirement savings in taxable accounts. My Dad didn't have much access to 401ks so most of he and Mom's money is supposed to be available for college. For me safety school means affordable as well as within my skills. No scholorships and I am off to state U

By Common Sense on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 02:26 pm: Edit

In my opinion, Mike is right on. Parents who live on debt, always spending and buying new cars, going on trips, will get aid. Those who save, and put money away, end up having nice balances in their accounts, only for the University to decide they do not have need for aid. Since when should superfluous spending be rewarded? Makes you think.

By DB on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 04:55 pm: Edit

I agree w/common sense. theres a big issue w/our school system which should be reformed. I suggest following the likes of European countries, increasing the taxes, but letting education be free.

By Alix on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 05:30 pm: Edit

I totally agree. I am kinda woried about the money factor. All I care about now is getting in, then I will worry about money.

By Common sense on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 09:18 pm: Edit

As to DB's suggestion (higher taxes, cheap education)..... that's the Canadian model. School here is approximately $11000 USD including full room and board. That's for the top Canadian schools - University of Toronto, Queen's, McGill - all fine institutions.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page