Do I have a remote chance?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Do I have a remote chance?
By Some kid on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 08:54 pm: Edit

# 10 in public high school of 530 seniors
(94.6) average unweighted

Black Male
790 Verbal 650 Math

-I am News editor of the school's newspaper
-I play the trumpet
-National Honor Society award for tutoring
-volunteered in Program Office and College Office at high school since sophomore year
----The problem is my parents make $19, 000 a year
I have two brothers and a sister.

Should I aim high or go to public college?

By Sean on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 09:01 pm: Edit

What colleges are you thinking about?

By humpty dumpty on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 09:53 pm: Edit

A black person with a 1450 (790!). Excellent EC's and top 2% of your class. Northstarmom did a posting a while ago that quoted an academic journal saying that there are about 800 black students with scores over 1400 in the country.

Go wherever you want. The vast majority of schools are going to admit you and almost any school is going to meet your demonstrated financial need. You may not get into all of the Ivys, but I predict that you will get into at least one and probably more.

By Gregon on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 11:23 pm: Edit

Black person + greater than 1400 SAT = acceptance letter this friday.

By right on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 01:46 pm: Edit

I find it really hard to believe that there's only 800 black students abover 1400.

I'm sure it's more than that.

By dmn on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 01:53 pm: Edit

NO, very few black/hispanics with above 1400. Their average is less than white/asian average. Something like 980. Some kid, you'll get into 80% of the school you apply to. NOt all the ivy's but at definately cornell, brown, darthmout, columbia, and choose one from HYP!

By humpty dumpty on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 03:39 pm: Edit

I can definitely believe it. I was suprised, but her documentation seemed pretty definitive. If you look at the college board website, composite 1400 represents top 4% of test takers. There are about 1.5M college bound seniors (I think), so about 60,000 people should have gotten 1400. Blacks are about 20% of the populace, so if everything else was equal, we'd expect that there would be about 12,000 blacks with 1400.

But then everything else is not equal, so I'm not amazed that the numbers are off by roughly an order of magnitude.

Btw, her numbers indicated that only slightly more than 100 blacks score over 1500.

By humpty dumpty on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 03:48 pm: Edit

Actually, just looked and they do show figures by ethnicity for each section, though they don't show the composite percentile.

For blacks, top 1% of verbal and math each go down to a 700. The composite mapping isn't going to be direct, but if it was then you could expect that about 3000 would score 1400 or better if all blacks in the populace went to college.

If the percentage of college bound blacks was about 30%, then you might expect to see 1000 black test takers with a 1400 or above.

A black with a 790 math though -- that's a ticket to wherever he wants to go.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page