RELIGION important for GEORGETOWN admission?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: RELIGION important for GEORGETOWN admission?
By David on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 04:57 am: Edit

Because Georgetown is a Catholic school, does religion play a role at all in admission? I know that about 55 percent of the student body is Catholic. If anything, do you think that Georgetown wants more Catholics, or wants more non-Catholics to diversify the population? Or does it not matter at all? Thanks.

By Curious on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 03:41 pm: Edit

just out of curiosity, do colleges look at religion at any time during the selection process?

By Lokislip (Lokislip) on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 05:45 pm: Edit

Colleges do not look at religion in making admissions. That would be illegal. (funny how that is illegal but looking at race isn't though).

By nacho on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 07:30 pm: Edit

Well the supreme court annouced last tuesday or perhaps the tuesday before that, that they would review the ruling on the use of affirmative action in college admissions. They are to rule next June.

I think just because one's skin color is rarer in this country that he or she does not deserve more consideration. However if a person has faced adverse conditions because of their minority, I think the colleges should account for that. Much like the account for HS's without advanced classes like AP or students growing up in rural Kansas.

By Sean on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 09:00 pm: Edit

Uhmmm... nacho, the Supreme Court can only issue a ruling for state university admission. Private unversities can do whatever they want to do.

By Kahuna613 (Kahuna613) on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 09:14 pm: Edit

I have an interesting question that I was thinking about....if you are of European descent but grew up in Zimbabwe for example and then moved to the US, are you African-American? (Does black skin=African AMerican??) If not, wouldn't that imply that colleges always follow a policy that cultural heritage=racial background?

By Nacho on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 05:00 pm: Edit

Sean I disagree because I can find fault in your logic. Private universities cannot do whatever they want. If privates wanted to segregate their school by race, could they just because they're privately funded? I think not. Furthermore I believe Constitional law applies to everyone in this country, and since the Supreme Court's name duty is to interpret Constitutional law I beleive their ruling would set precesent at the very least. Even if not forced to, private universities would most likely disband any such policy for fear of future law suits using the Supreme Court ruling as example. However, I believe the Supreme Court ruling can bannish private racial admission policies. Why? Because what is really going on here is the interpretation of the Fourteenth Admendment. Past rulings in other areas of similar debate should already have established that this type of admissions policy is unconstitutional. Private universities are not immune from Consitutional law, or the rulings that interpret it.

By MarkHarris on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 05:16 pm: Edit

Schools that recieve NO government can admit on any basis they want. Few colleges recieve no funding though (Grove City College in PA is one) This is why places like Augusta don't have to admit women. It's called freedom of association, the constitution is federal level stuff not everyone, sadly we have crazy judicial activists (the kind that wrote Roe v. Wade) who feel their job is to invent what the founder meant as opposed to actually doing their job.

By Em on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 05:20 pm: Edit

I'm not positive on this, but I'm pretty sure that private schools can admit only a certain race if they choose. In Honolulu, for example, I believe it's the Kamehameha school that only has students of Hawaiian descent. They accept applications from everyone, but have never actually admitted one of those other students. I think it's perfectly legal.

By nacho on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 05:48 pm: Edit

You guys do make a point. I do think though the ruling will affect many so called private universities.

By the.me on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 08:49 pm: Edit

When I visited Georgetown, they stressed to me (although I am Catholic, but they didn't know that) that religion is not a factor, and that they do in fact encourage (the typical gibberish speech) religious diversity and whatnot.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page