Hispanic with decent scores contemplates ivies

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Hispanic with decent scores contemplates ivies
By clzn on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 09:53 pm: Edit

I've been browsing some of the interesting conversations on this forum and have been alternating between depressed and confident in regard to my chances at some top schools. Any input would be appreciated.

1/2 Hispanic, 1/2 White Male
Lives with mother, in a Spanish-speaking household
Legacy- Yale (Dad), Stanford (Mom).
btw-do grad. degrees count? Dad got PhD at Stanford too...

Scores-
SAT I (M/V): 790/790
SAT II Writing: 790
Math IIC: 770
Spanish: 800
French w/Listening: 800
Chemistry: 750
(Just took World Hist. too)
IB French B SL: 7

Academics:
GPA: 4.0/4.0 unweighted

-In full IB program with 1 extra test (Russian B SL) in addition to Chem HL, Eng HL, Hist HL, Math SL, Phys HL
-Took intensive 1st yr. summer Russian program at university over the summer (got 4.0) with no prior Russian experience
-Took 2nd year Latin at university last year and got 4.0
-National Merit Semifinalist
-Nat. Hispanic Recognition Prog. Scholar
EC
-Pres/Capt of Knowledge Bowl; Math Team; Student Volunteer Club + 4 yrs involvement
-JSA State Cabinet Position + 4 yrs involvement
-Nat. Honor Soc.
-1st Violin in Local Youth Symph. (9+ yrs involvement)
-Selected for All-NW Orchestra, 2003; All-State 2001
-Superior solo ratings on vln and flute at solo/ensemble contest; state qualif. for 2 ensembles
-msc. other stuff...

Work
-started a successful web design firm, making good income
-webmaster/ad sales for high-traffic website
=======================
Target Schools-
UChicago EA (backup)
Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, Berkeley, Pomona, Amherst, Columbia (in order of preference)

Again, any comments are appreciated.

By clzn on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 09:55 pm: Edit

oops---sorry---this should go in a different forum... my bad

By clzn2 on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 10:00 pm: Edit

hmm having some pword trouble and thought I posted in wrong forum, but I guess not

By impressed again on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 10:41 pm: Edit

very impressive, if you don't have a good shot nobody does

By Sure on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 11:02 pm: Edit

The day you don't get into one of these schools is the day i kill myself. You gotta good shot

By Junior on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 11:30 pm: Edit

Here is an example of where AA is not fair. This guy is Hispanic with parents that graduated from Yale and Stanford. He shouldn't be considered underpriviliged, and I think the college WILL take that into account. I'm Hispanic, and the most education my parents have is my dad getting taught how to count chickens in his rancho in Mexico. Everything I ever did was on my own, I never had parents that could help me with any of my work. If I'm competing with more "URMs" like this guy, I have no chance.

By A Guy on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 04:12 pm: Edit

Junior, get used to it. It's ironic that somebody who is going to get a boost from AA as it is, is complaining about the process being unfair. AA really should only have one goal: to produce enough parity at a racial level that eventually the system will be able to be abolished.

Impressive credentials, clzn. It's also ironic that a lot of people will assume that you only got in because of racial preference and not because you are emminently(sp?) qualified (which you are). Btw, I hope that your surname is from the hispanic side, as it seems like it could only be a plus.

By Junior on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 04:51 pm: Edit

A Guy, I'm not complaining about it, because like you said, I will benefit from it. Im just saying that the whole purpose of giving URM a boost is so that they may one day have an equal chance, like this guy. He already has the same chance as everybody else- his parents attended two of the most prestigious schools in the country.

I'm saying AA should only significantly benefit URM like myself (first generation college students who really have had less of an opportunity). You're saying that the point of AA is to produce equality, how is equality going to be produced if they keep picking guys like this over less priviliged URM. Look, you even told the guy that you hope he has a Hispanic sounding last name. This is really a "white" guy using AA in his favor because he has some Hispanic in him. And don't think I'm hating either, I really commend this guy on his achievements. But this is the truth about what is happening here.

By A Guy on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 05:30 pm: Edit

Yes, but if you say that, then if individuals are going to be given preference at all, it should be based on who is the most disadvantaged. And this is, in fact, what the UC Law school tried to do, but it discovered that it actually gave more preference to whites rather then less because of the larger number of disadvantaged (where disadvantage is defined as pverty level or lack of parental college participation).

So, it's really hard to say who is "deserving". The Ivys already are stacked towards the rich, advantaged crowd, and every white or asian applying has had to live with that. So it doesn't strike me as grossly unfair that less wealthy URM's should have to compete across the board with wealthy URM's.

As for what the definition of URM is, I won't venture to guess. It's interesting to me that Spanish people who are 1st generation from Spain are not considered URM, but hispanics from Mexico are. The whole thing seems pretty convuluted to me, so I can't see how things aren't eventually going to collapse under their own weight (as they already have with the UC schools which are now trying to simply use class rank and counting on school segregation to provide the balance).

I do view it as sad, because there are important reasons for preference to exist. I think that entire groups of people run the risk of being completely disenfranchised if responsible preference does not take place. I mean how much hope would a black or hispanic child be able to feel if he never knew of the existance of a minority doctor, lawyer, or other professional? Without black lawyers, you reduce the chances of black government representatives, so it all trickles down. Some kind of preference is practially essential, I just think that calling it "unfair" when that preference selects somebody other than yourself is just a little ironic (for lack of a better word).

Best of luck, I honest do hope that you get in and set the world on fire. Just remember that if AA does carry you, you have a responsiblity to be both a role model and give something back.

By Junior on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 07:05 pm: Edit

A Guy,

You really sound like you know what you're talking about. I guess my comment is ignorant since I'm just a high school kid trying to get into a good college, and I'm trying to look for things that will give me an edge, so I look at this guys profile and I think it's "unfair". Anyway, who are you? Does "A Guy" stand for "Admissions Guy". Look at my profile and tell me what you think?

Wait, I was going to put the link to my post, but I just saw that you had already responded. N/m then. So you're a software person from Silicon Vallley, no wonder you sound like you know what you're talking about-- because you do know. But, without trying to be disrespectful, why do you come on these boards anyway?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page