Can i get in w/ just scores?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Can i get in w/ just scores?
By Joe on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 01:14 pm: Edit

well i have perfect college boards...
1600 SATI
800 Math 2C
800 Writing
800 Physics
800 Chem

and i have 3.98/4.00 unweighted GPA
(school doesn't rank or weight GPAs)

Did some research, science fair stuff
Varsity volleyball, JV in 2 other sports
bunch of student organizations...
basically, i'm all numbers with enough extra's, but nothing special

i applied to a whole bunch of schools:
MIT
Harvard
Yale
Princeton
Duke
Columbia
Cornell
Stanford
Northwestern
UMich
Uillinois
Berkeley
Cooper
RPI
Rutgers

What u guys think?

By Joe on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 01:18 pm: Edit

Asian male from NJ, both parents went to college
school is very competitive, science-centered, 1470 avg SAT.. almost half of graduating classes go to ivys, class size of around 100, a whole bunch have GPA over 4 (like 15)

By Joe on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 01:19 pm: Edit

the gpa is 3.98/4.33, not 4.00...
thanks again

By NYMom on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 02:19 pm: Edit

Well, if you present yourself like that, no one will be very impressed. I'm sure a smart guy like you can think of something special to say in an essay to set yourself apart from the crowd. What motivates you? You must be very driven to have done so well in school, etc. You obviously have a lot of potential, what do you want to do w/ it?

By ProfRoberts on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 06:32 pm: Edit

Your either lying or did a fantastic job. I am a professional college counselor and from my past experiences ( I have worked with lots of smart kids). You are very highly competitive. Even though you are not a shoe-in for most of the schools, you have a fantastic chance. You seem to do well in Math and Science. Do you have any math or science related awards/activities. Such as the United States Math/Physics/Chem Team. With any of those under your belt, you are a SHOE-IN. Congrats. Any more questions, just post.

By in the $$$$? on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 06:38 pm: Edit

How many APS? are you semi-rich there? Did you try to make it seem like you weren't so privilidged?

By liar liar on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 06:38 pm: Edit

Very bad spelling and grammar, "Professor Roberts." I've also never seen a guidance counselor questioning the character of someone asking for aid before answering the question.

By Joe on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 06:47 pm: Edit

AP chem (5) and AP Calc BC (4, subscore 5) in junior year.. AP Physics this year... my school doesn't offer AP english, history, or foreign languages... the APs i didn't take were Bio, the Econs, and music theory.

thanks for the replies everyone

By jamesyoon on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 02:38 pm: Edit

dr. roberts! are you gul-maj? jimmy wants you

By zzz on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 03:17 pm: Edit

SAT: 790 Verbal
640 Math

SAT II(expected on the December administration)
Writing 700+
Literature 700+
Math IC 630-670

I'm a full-paying international applicant from India. I'm aware of the fact that international applicants usually have high math scores with lackluster verbal scores (for obvious reasons); as you can see, I'm quite the opposite--how will this affect my chances? Besides my test scores, all other elements in my application are beneficially "unique".

Schools I'm planning on applying to

-- All the Ivy?s +

U Chicago
Stanford
Northwestern
Amherst
Swarthmore
Georgetown
NYU
Tufts

Well I'm hoping to be admitted to those colleges on the basis of my rather unique extracurricular activities.

-- Soon-to-be-published author
Some months ago I started to write a book. The Skydancer is a 'factional' thriller based on true events of a 15-year old Tibetan Lama's incredible escape across the Himalayas from Chinese-occupied Tibet on the eve of the millennium. It is a real-life adventure about Ugyen Trinley, a handsome, effusive teenage Lama who is the target of Chinese assassins on the Roof of the world. The young Lama's run for freedom
across the
Himalayas was a David and Goliath situation played out on an extraordinary spiritual battlefield. Like 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil' it is both a real-life entertainer that observes a fascinating society and a cinematic travelogue that cartwheels the reader across a magical landscape. And this is the story of the boy-king who may well emerge as Buddhism's next spiritual head and who is expected to lead Tibet's struggle for freedom in the 21st century. Well, I finally completed 3 full chapters and a detailed chapter by chapter synopsis and mailed the whole 60- page package to the Managing Editor of a leading publishing house in India. I received an acceptance letter soon after =)

-- Interviewed Abdul Kalam, India's new President. I believe I'm the youngest person to have interviewed an incumbent Indian head of state. (School paper & national daily)

-- Audience with His Holiness the Dalai Lama slated to take place sometime in January. I will enclose the questions I intend to pose to him within my application package. (School paper & national daily)

-- School Paper, political editor

-- summer with a major news paper( work exp.)

-- Debate team

-- I appeared on 'We Are the People', a talk show on the Asia-wide news channel 'Star News', to dispute the revision of our History text books.

-- Community service: My family runs an orphanage; I have spent hundreds of hours there.

By . on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 03:36 pm: Edit

zzz post your own thread. Don't just plop that down in the middle of someone else's question!

By Normal on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 09:31 pm: Edit

Man, Joe is a complete NERD!! GET A LIFE....GET SOME EXERCISE...JOIN SOME SPORTS TEAMS!! LOL...U'RE A RIOT!

By Sar (Sar) on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 08:19 am: Edit

Go away, normal. You're not behaving very normally here. Come back in April or something, when the posting pool rotates.

By BirdMan on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 09:49 am: Edit

I already finished that book

By allison on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 12:13 pm: Edit

i'd say you have more than just scores. your gpa isn't bad at all.

By jamesyoon on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 09:03 am: Edit

i'd say your mom

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page