Race: Black
SAT I: 1550
SAT II: 780 MATH IIC, 770 Writing, 780 Chemistry
GPA: 4.6 with 14 AP Classes
Family Info: Welfare mother, father abandoned
family
You fill in the rest, but this person would be in with this info alone

By Angry White Male on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 04:24 am: Edit

Doesn't it make you mad that if this person was white they would be teetering on the edge but since they are black they're in for sure

By Liz (Liz) on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 10:05 am: Edit

Actually...

Anawake Fourkiller (recognize the name, anyone?)
State: Wyoming
Race: 3/4 native american,
SAT 1: 1590 (800V)
SAT 2: 800 / 800 / 790 (Math 2C / Latin / Writing)
2/300
3.999 w/ 10 AP's (hardest possible)
Great recs
Great essays
Great interview
Underpriveleged background
Nationally ranked, hmmm, lets say cross country runner
Income < 30,000 a year.

That's the perfect applicant.

By NYLawyer on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 10:19 am: Edit

Actually, there's a true story about a guy w/ similar stats who managed to get into Princeton. Turned out he was a fraud. Maybe someone remembers the details.

By Pip on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 03:30 pm: Edit

sorry but you guys lack imagination..the PERFECT applicant has a 1590 SAT? How about the long lost (very poor) son of Nelson Mandela who finally met his father after finding the cure of AIDS.

By asdf on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 05:44 pm: Edit

perfect applicant to Harvard: Son/daughter of Dean of Admissions at Harvard.
perfect applicant to Princeton: Son/daughter of Dean of Admissions at Princeton.

etc. etc.

By Liz (Liz) on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 05:50 pm: Edit

1590 SAT in one sitting is the best to have, not the best you can get. Colleges like Harvard/Stanford/Princeton etc like to brag about how many val's with 1600's and 800 sat2 avgs and 4.0's they turn down...

By a on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 06:03 pm: Edit

But still they accept maybe 60% of 1600s

By DSA on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 10:24 pm: Edit

Cmon if we just said 1600 with all 800's it would be too borings

By mmok on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:48 pm: Edit

What's up with the National Achievement Scholars??? It makes no sense! Their selection index is considerable LOWER than that of NMS, yet they get the same finaid package at most schools?? Is it MY fault, or even THEIR fault, for that matter, than they were born with a tan?

By Kahuna613 (Kahuna613) on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:50 pm: Edit

It's easy to take that position but if you think about it...it's no one's "fault." It's just that they are less likely to achieve as well as kids of other racial backgrounds...did you read somewhere on this board that like less than 800 African-American's got over a 1400 on the SAT last year. It's kind of frustrating but it's life.

By Gregon on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 11:02 pm: Edit

Name: White Horse
Race: Navajo
SAT: 1540
SAT II: Latin 800, Math IIc 800 and proved that one of the problems was incorrect, Writing 760 because the grader didn't understand the Native American words he used.
GPA: 3.987
STATE: New Mexico
BACKGROUND:
Both parents were migrant workers until they were hit by a meteor while saving their son from a vicious assailant.
ECs:
Founded a software company which was bought out by Microsoft.
New Mexico state champion chili festival, for his "Nasty Flamin' Navajo Chili"
New Mexico all state running back.
Eagle Scout
COMMUNITY SERVICE:
Helped illegal immigrants and their children obtain citizenship
OTHER PURSUITS:
Wrote a book, in process of publication, about the Navajo code of World War II and the civil strife of the Native Americans in the 20th century. Named "Voices of Past: The Navajo Voice"

By George Smith on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 10:45 am: Edit

Name: George Smith, Jr.
Race: White
SAT: 1140
SAT II: None
GPA: 2.987
STATE: Texas
BACKGROUND:
Grandfather Senior U.S. Senator from CT. Father is head of the CIA.
ECs: Cheerleader.
COMMUNITY SERVICE: None.
OTHER PURSUITS: None.

Got into Yale & then Harvard Business School. Rejected from U. of Texas Business School.

By PerfecT? on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 10:38 pm: Edit

Name: Bzyxio Zxyithop
Race: African-American
SAT I: 740M 780V
SAT II: 780 Math IIc, 740 Writing, 800 Spanish
GPA : 4.0
State: Nevada
Activities: Asian Club, Indian Club, Spanish Club, French Club

Accepted by Yale, Stanford, Princeton, Harvard, MIT

By Liz (Liz) on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 10:55 pm: Edit

The question here is, which minority is the MOST under-represented? Native American, Hispanic, or African American? From there you can build the perfect applicant. But that's the first question.

By Shannon on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 10:59 pm: Edit

I can understand where most of your frustration is coming from, but as an African American female, I find most of these posts to be offensive.
Contrary to popular belief, some of us who fall under the "URM" category DO work for what we receive.
I got accepted EA Harvard, but I think I would have gotten in without my URM status anyway.
My stats can be found under the "Did any URM applicants get accepted early?" topic or something like that.
The point is, I WORKED for what I received.
Nothing was handed to me, and as far as I'm concerned, affirmative action can kiss my black ass.

By PerfecT? on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 11:03 pm: Edit

I certainly hold nothing against african-americans (my best friend is black) or you personally.

African-americans and native-americans are the most under-represented students, and so they are often admitted without top grades, SATs.

Certainly there are many (even a majority) of intelligent african-americans that don't need affirmative action to get in... so I am sorry if the post offended you.

By Shannon on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 11:09 pm: Edit

Understood. I also think they need to eliminate aff. action altogether.
I am living proof that no matter where you're from or what color your skin is, if you want to succeed it will happen...
although my parents didn't die when I was 13 and I didn't suddenly contract AIDS. But those are rare cases.
Generally, I think scholarships should be kept at a financial status minimum... regardless of race.
And merit scholarships don't hurt either =D

By Ooop (Ooop) on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 11:20 pm: Edit

I agree with Shannon. Even being a white boy from the south I think that discriminating against people from URM's is inmature and wrong. Why are you people so jealous of these people?

By Duh on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 11:30 pm: Edit

Hey, not to be politically incorrect, but someone needs to set the record straight. The fact is that a URM can get into Harvard, Yale or any other IVY with stats that are much much worse than your average white male. Oh, and Shannon, I read your stats and, while they are very impressive, they are pretty standard for Harvard. Go read some of the other posts of people who got rejected from Harvard and even places like Wharton who had WAAAY better stats than you. Congratulations, but recognize that without being a URM you probably wouldn't have gotten in.

By Ted on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 11:31 pm: Edit

An Exemplary College Application Essay.

I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have been known to remodel train stations on my lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning operas, I manage time efficiently. Occasionally, I tread water for three days in a row.

I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook Thirty Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love, and an outlaw in Peru.

Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single-handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army ants. I play bluegrass cello, I was scouted by the Mets. I am the subject of numerous documentaries. When I'm bored, I build large suspension bridges in my yard. I enjoy urban hang gliding. On Wednesdays, after school, I repair electrical appliances free of charge.

I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless bookie. Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear. I don't perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I receive fan mail. I have been caller number nine and won the weekend passes. Last summer I toured New Jersey with a traveling centrifugal-force demonstration. I bat .400. My deft floral arrangements have earned me fame in international botany circles. Children trust me.

I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly accuracy. I once read Paradise Lost, Moby Dick, and David Copperfield in one day and still had time to refurbish an entire dining room that evening. I know the exact location of every food item in the supermarket. I have performed covert operations for the CIA. I sleep once a week; when I do sleep, I sleep in a chair. While on vacation in Canada, I successfully negotiated with a group of terrorists who had seized a small bakery. The laws of physics do not apply to me.

I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. I have made extraordinary four-course meals using only a Mouli and a toaster oven. I breed prizewinning clams. I have won bullfights in San Juan, cliff-diving competitions in Sri Lanka, and spelling bees at the Kremlin. I have played Hamlet, I have performed open-heart surgery, and I have spoken with Elvis.

But I have not yet gone to college.

From http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena/user/w/c/wchuang/www/humor/college/college_essay.html

By UBoat on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 12:04 am: Edit

No one is jealous. We are simply saying that:

It is fine to be of a different race or different country, however, you should be held to the same standards as everyone else.

Therefore, we commend an intelligent and hard-working african-american such as shannon. However, many minority students with as low as 3.5s and 900s who wouldn't otherwise get into an IVYesque school do simply because of their minority status... which begins to give them and unfair advantage over intelligent hard-working non-minority domestic students.

I hope I don't further confuse with this post.

By Shannon on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 12:47 am: Edit

To duh:

Do you even know what the Emerson Scholarship is?
You obviously don't know what you're talking about.
If anything, I got accepted because of my music talent-- I could have applied to Cleveland Institute of Music and they would have provided me a partial scholarship to say the least.

So even if the rest of my stats are "average" to you, my musical ability isn't. Which may be the only reason I got in (if i wasn't URM)

By Shannon on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 12:51 am: Edit

Oh, and in case you didn't know, Cleveland is currently ranked #1 in the nation for music.

By a on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 12:53 am: Edit

George W Bush

Father: rich from oil
no other stats needed

By Gregon on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 01:03 am: Edit

I think when it comes down to it, affirmitive action makes qualified applicants cast in an aura of doubt. No one would have been to suprised if a white person had been admitted to Harvard with Shannon's credentials. But its unfair to Shannon to have to defend her acceptance (which was well deserved) because she is black. Affirmitive action hurts whites, asians, and all URMs.

If I were black, I'd hate having to proove that I wasn't accepted on race. Forever will it cast doubt on the quality of your application. People assume that someone is accepted on race instead of credentials (because they frequently are)

BTW, Anyone seen the Andy Richter on race relations? "Guys, I just want to say that race is a very uncomfortable subject, but only by talking about it like we've been doing, have we proven -- just how uncomfortable it really is."

By true on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 01:07 am: Edit

true

By true on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 01:07 am: Edit

true

By PRO AA on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 02:05 am: Edit

TRUE AS IT MAY BE, a.a. is helping "borderly" qualified URMS to accepted no matter what..and that is great! As soon as the URM numbers reach 15% or so (they are rising each yr) THEN aff. action WILL stop..until then i applaud the system for its attempt to straighten up a skewed system. I doubt highly that ppl with 900s get accepted by the way..standards are still n place

By D3structo (D3structo) on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 10:30 pm: Edit

You all failed to address the real perfect applicant.

Name: Imwe Tarted
SAT's: 200 Math 200 Verbal-top in the school.
SAT II? Required? I cant afford any more SAT's.
ACT? Yes, I can act.
Special Talents: I CAN ACT!

Applied to Harvard, Yale, Princeton and accepted.
Reason by Admissions officers:
#1) Stood out from the applicant pool. Was a complete idiot.
#2) We need diversity!

hope you had a laugh... I can bet this is true... too bad Im asian and will never see the day...

By NOAA on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 10:36 pm: Edit

To PRO AA: the number of URMs at MIT is well over 15% now.

By j on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 10:37 pm: Edit

Heh. I guess he would be the only idiot who's "smart" enough to know how to apply.

By fewa on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 10:45 pm: Edit

URMs do have an unfair advantage. I do believe it should be equal for everyone. I myself am hispanic and I try to make sure I'm not looked at as the hispanic kid, but just a kid.

By Gregon on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 11:01 pm: Edit

Exactly fewa.

Race should be looked on as having blue eyes. Maybe Harvard should put that on its application.

By Kahuna613 (Kahuna613) on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 11:02 pm: Edit

If you ask me, people should be looked at for what they did with they have, not what they did. I don't go to some elite boarding school, but I took advantage of everything I could have during high school and it paid off.

By theperfectapplicant on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 11:29 pm: Edit

this is the perfect applicant

(1st generation african american female)
(father attended harvard, mother attended yale)

ACT-36
SATI math-790 verbal 800(1st time)
math-800 verbal 800(2nd time)
1600 composite

SAT2 physics-800
math I-800
math II-800
literature-790
french w/listening-800
spanish w/listening-800
writing-790
chemistry-780
us history-800

AP's
-environmental science-5
-physics-5
-calculus AB-5
-calculus BC-5
-us history-5
-european history-5
-computer technology-5
-chemistry-5
-biology-5
-french-5
-spanish-5(took two languages thruout HS)

GPA 4.0(hardest curriculum possible)
attending #1 public high school in nation
(rank 1 of 1292)

EC's

-500 hours community service
-class president
-mock trial president
-french honor society president
-won national math and physics award
-all american softball player(team came second overall in states)
-all american tennis player(ranked first in America for my age group)
-founded FBLA
-started new software company for IBM

work experience
15 jobs since sophmore year

By Shannon on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 12:04 am: Edit

totheperfectapplicant:

people like you make me sad.
Some of us actually work for what we earn.

It's unfortunate what AA has done for URM's who actually get what they earn...
because with AA in place, there's always that shadow of a doubt.

By Josh Hungtington on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 12:26 am: Edit

Maybe we should call this thread quits?

By . on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 12:46 am: Edit

"
(1st generation african american female)
(father attended harvard, mother attended yale)
"

Sorry, this is totally FAKE!! Can't be 1st generation if parents attended college. DUH!!

Yes, I know the entire post was fake, do not think I was actually serious. Have a laugh.

By bub on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 04:17 am: Edit

numberswise, native-americans are the most underrepresented, and therefore, the best race to have. blame the government for their half-assed attempts to educate them.

By movie buff on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 04:26 am: Edit

Y'know, that one dude that Freddie Prinze Jr. was playing in "She's All That" sounds like the perfect applicant. After all, we did see that one scene with all his acceptance letters.

By Liz (Liz) on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 09:59 am: Edit

To everyone: this thread isn't really supposed to be about racism or AA - it's about "the perfect applicant". Even Shannon would admit that (although she would have gotten in w/o AA) many other minorites are in top colleges today because of AA - but I'm not saying that they were not qualified to be there. The dean of admissions for Princeton says that up to 90% of the applicants are qualified to do the work by the usual standards - only 10% are granted admission. Part of the selection process is ensuring diversity, and being a URM does make you stand out among other equally-qualified applicants. The *perfect* applicant would be qualfied by numbers/grades/ec's AND have an additional obstacle they had to overcome, like a disadvantaged background, or discrimination because of his/her race. I feel a little sorry for some people cause they get the bad end of the stick on this one...I for one am against affirmative action if it means that less-qualified applicants get in over super-applicants - but I really think that AA should be a tip factor, if for no other reason than that I would die before going to a homogeneous college.

By Snuggleybearboy on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 03:33 pm: Edit

Why do you have to speak about AAs?

Leave the alcohol anonymous people alone!

By Mike (Mike) on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 06:10 pm: Edit

The perfect Yale candidate is a white male named Bush with any GPA or Sat score.

By Bush on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 06:15 pm: Edit

Should be "without" any GPA or SAT score.

By duh on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 06:23 pm: Edit

"Sorry, this is totally FAKE!! Can't be 1st generation if parents attended college. DUH!!
"

Duh, ever hear of a student visa?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page