Are ECs that important?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Are ECs that important?
By Tim Murphy on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 12:27 am: Edit

I was wondering if ECs are really that important. I have a 1600 and 3 800s on IIs. I took 10 APs and got 5 on each. I am taking the most rigorous course load the school has offered and I am about 3rd in my class. However, I don't have any ECs. I'm on the varsity golf team and the varsity debate team and I have a job in the communications department of a small non-profit organization. Other than that I have nothing. Do you think this will hurt my chances of getting into Princeton, even though my dad went there.
Tim

By dsa on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 12:28 am: Edit

You do have some EC's. I think that you might be able to get in based solely on your academics because they are so outstanding. Plus your legacy status

By Tim Murphy on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 12:31 am: Edit

I hear all this talk about ridiculous ECs. People are curing diseases and founding every club in their school. I just feel like they're gonna laugh at my two things.

By Lex on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 12:32 am: Edit

I think your EC's are fine. Plus your academics are excellent and legacy status is huge.
Btw, if you're Asian, don't check it on the "Ethnicity/race" box, this will hurt your chances. You'd be better off just leaving it blank.
Otherwise, I'd say you're a shoe-in wherever you apply to. But I'm no admissions officer.

By Try it on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 12:51 am: Edit

You should have a really good shot. If the job is 20hrs/wk and you devote lots of time to the "few" ECs you do have, then ur in! How are you third in your class with all those APs!! The only thing is that you clearly come from a high income background so their expectations of you are high. There's such a thing as a varsity debate team?!Who'd a thunk it
BTW, Tim MURPHY...that sounds very Asian (not) so maybe you should choose other.

By A Guy on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 12:52 am: Edit

I'm no admissions officer either but I'd say that you shouldn't downplay your EC's; stress the quality of your participation (obviously easier to do if you've won at either golf or debate). I mean jeezuz, to really win at debate is like a fulltime job by itself. You carried an athletic load while working while doing a time consuming EC and performing near academic perfection. How much more should any person expect of themselves. I sure hope that you get in because you surely deserve it.

By DAS on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 12:56 am: Edit

Hey, a lot of the "amazing" ec's you hear are exaggerated. Plus, this website represents the best and brightest because the people here are the ones paranoid about getting in to Harvard. realize that 70 percent of applicants to a school like Harvard or MIT don't stress as much as the people here

By jku on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 01:06 am: Edit

yes ecs are important. who knows, maybe you hole yourself up in your room everyday and spend 15+ hours studying. they want people. not robots.

.. you asked.

By pãezinho on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 08:45 pm: Edit

Being Asian really hurts my chances? I guess i can't get out of it... Even if I leave the ethnicity box blank, they'll know from my last name!! aaaaaaaah!

By haha on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 09:03 pm: Edit

LOL, you have a perfect gpa and a bunch of APs, perfect SATs and say...nothing else? Congrats, you are one of those happy 4000s who will get rejected this year....

P.S. Varsity sh1t is so common that it won't help you at all. Legacy status is the only thing that can help you, it won't be enough tho..There are a lot of people much more interesting than you.....

By pizzaluvr on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 12:02 am: Edit

actually, varsity sports are very demanding. you obviously have never taken part in any, "haha."
just swimming alone occupies about 3-4 hours after school every day.
Varsity debate is also very demanding if you do policy, it requires about 2 hours or research a week just to keep up.
So Tim, ignore "haha's" post. he obviously doesn't know what he's talking about.

By Choachoad (Choachoad) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 06:48 pm: Edit

eh

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page