Community College classes...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Community College classes...
By trackman on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 05:14 pm: Edit

If I don't get into the summer program I am applying to is it a good idea to just take classes at my local community college instead? I will probably just take one or two. Also, will these classes be able to count towards college credit at my future college.

I am a junior and I am thinking of taking pre calculus and an advanced psycology class. I've taken one year of psyc. already, and the reason why I want to take pre-calc over the summer is just so I can take calc and AP Calc my senior year. I know that the college does offer these classes, however I am not sure if the pre calc class is offered over the summer(I know someone who took the psyc. class last year their and liked it). Does anyone know if this will be possible for me and if it is a good idea? Do community colleges generally offer pre calc courses over the summer? Does the class fit in just a summer semester? Any feedback is greatly appreciated...

(I know this is not really a "chances" question, but I'm hoping I'll get a little attention here.)

By goodidea on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 05:41 pm: Edit

You definitely should take the precal class if it's offered in the summer. It does fit in if it's available. Plus, it's useful if you want to take AP cal. I took a calculus class in the summer as a junior and it covered most topics in high school AP calculus class.

By trackman on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 05:44 pm: Edit

ty, I'm going to look further into the availability. Do you know if colleges will give me official credit for these classes?

By yes on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 05:47 pm: Edit

That depends. If you get good grades (generally C and up) then I don't see why not. They give credits taken at other colleges that are not high school graduate requirements.

By E-math on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 05:55 pm: Edit

DEFINITELY, take the pre-calculus course offered at a local community college if you cannot get into the “summer program.” Any college will be impressed that you have stepped out of line for your education.

I do not know the specifics for the colleges near you, but I can only offer my experience as an example. The two colleges I went to actually have a *two* semester summer program. For example, you could take Pre-calculus for the first summer semester and then Calculus 1 for the second summer semester. This would enable you to take Calculus 2 in the fall! (Note: a typical Calculus 1 course at a college will prepare you for the AP Calculus AB exam, while the second year of Calculus will prepare you for the BC exam).

Be aware that this is a crash course in the subject so it will run about 3.5 weeks every Monday – Friday for about 5 hours a day. You need to remain committed. Also, be aware that the courses fill up very quickly and most cap off around 20 students. Even worst, those limited seats are offered first to matriculated students, then to high school students.

My advice to you is to check out the “dual-enrollment” program at your high school if they offer one. If not, then I’m sure any college will be glad to help you out provided your grades are good, there are no disciplinary problems, you're not truant and so forth. Most importantly, get in touch with the colleges as soon as possible. The specifics will definitely differ. Do not hesitate, nor underestimate yourself.

Best of luck!

(By the way: what exactly is the “summer program?” Also, if the college is *accredited*, then the credit for the courses you have taken can be transferred.)

By trackman on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 06:29 pm: Edit

The college is accredited by the New England Association.

The summer program is at St. Pauls (a private boarding school here in New Hampshire). The program is tough to get into from what I know, but it looks very good, and was highly recommended to me by people I know who have gone.

ty, E-math, for your helpful response. I will definately look into the possibility of taking both pre calc and calc. during the summer. I'll talk to my guidance counselor tommorow morning and see what he knows about it and I'll call the college real soon too. Perhaps the community college classes will be an even better option for me than doing the summer program.

By just wondering on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 06:32 pm: Edit

Do you need to pay for the tuition? My high school pays for the courses I take at colleges.

By trackman on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 06:40 pm: Edit

I don't know. I'll ask. I didn't even think of that... but I sure hope they do!

By trackman on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 08:42 pm: Edit

Anymore thoughts and suggestions?

By jeff on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 12:57 am: Edit

I am taking community college classes through my high school program. The good thing about it is the county pays for all my fees (almost $2000 for my senior year - plus last year's fees and now i know why they are in debt 8 million). It was probably the best decision i have made.
The only thing is that community college students tend to be really really stupid (at least over here) and in my opinion some of those courses are less challenging than ap. nevertheless it looks good on your transcript.

as for the precalc class, im pretty sure most community colleges offer it during the summer and it will fit in to a summer schedule.

I have almost 60 credits by the time i graduate (45 transferrable). Most upper level courses as long as it is freshman and above level,me thinkies precalc is included, will transfer. i have already finished all the math at the cc (up to calc III).

hope that helps

By trackman on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 02:59 pm: Edit

thanks, it does help. I just have a couple of Questions...So what is the class environment like? Is there a lot of class discussion or no because of the "stupidness" of many of the students? You say the classes are easier than AP but after taking Comunity Colllege pre calc will I be prepared to take AP calc if I do work hard or will I be at somewhat of a disadvantage?

By Kahuna613 (Kahuna613) on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 03:54 pm: Edit

I am taking Russian 101 at the College of Charleston, and I don't find it to be hard. I think that almost all of the other people (2 high school students, 3 adults, and 1 college student) probably aren't on the same level as me, however, languages are my strongest academic ability. I have an A without much effort, but I still am learning a lot. I think it depends on the college. College of Charleston is not a community college; it has a pretty good reputation within South Carolina for foreign languages.

By asvab on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 08:44 pm: Edit

c-b-o-u-o-m-l-p

By jeff on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 12:31 am: Edit

Because it is a community college, there tends to be a lot of group discussions/involvement in the lower level classes. It's not much different than a high school class. But I noticied by calculus III, it seemed like more of a lecture type class and you are more on your own. But one thing is true - you definitely learn A LOT.
The classes depend a lot on the instructor you get. I am sure that you will be prepared enough after taking it as long as you put in the effort. after taking college phys/calc i was able to tutor college students with no problem. my chem teacher sucked quite a lot and i slacked off so i messed up my SAT II Chem. I always try to find out the reputation of the professor before i register.

By trackman on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 04:13 pm: Edit

thanks jeff, you are a big help, probably moreso than my guidance counselor, lol.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page