Chances at Top Schools

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Chances at Top Schools
By Futurcivilengnr (Futurcivilengnr) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 05:50 pm: Edit

Hi, I'm a senior at a catholic school in CA. I'm looking into civil engineering with maybe something to do with business too. What do you think my chances are at schools like Stanford, UCLA, Berkeley, Cornell, UIUC, Duke, Notre Dame, Caltech, and any others that might be good?

Unweighted GPA
3.75 (most rigorous schedule possible)

SAT I (will retake)
1430 (800m, 640v)

ACT

SAT IIs
MathIIC - 800
Physics - 760
Writing *still need to take (expecting 700+ to be safe)

AP
5 Physics
5 US History
5 Calculus
3 English Language

I have plenty of community service (200+ hours) and some leadership (president of 1 large club). I'm a big tennis player, having played varsity since freshman year on a good team. I've also played some other sports, but tennis became my priority. I received third place in state science fair sophomore year and am again pursuing science fairs this year. In addition, I've interned and attending multi-week engineering programs during my summers.

Thanks for your help

By Futurcivilengnr (Futurcivilengnr) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 10:02 pm: Edit

bump

By Dreadpirate (Dreadpirate) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 10:26 pm: Edit

Sure thing for UIUC. Good at UCLA and Berkeley. Decent at Duke if you apply to the College of Engineering, which emphasizes SAT I & II math and physics much more than the adcom for Trinity (Arts & Sciences). Being from California will help with Duke. You will get a good look at Cornell engineering, which also likes objective measures (standardized tests). Stanford and Cal Tech are a stretch but worth a shot.

By Bobbyh (Bobbyh) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 10:33 pm: Edit

I don't understand... how does an 800M and 640V add up to 1430? Just kidding mate. I don't want to ridicule you. I think your gpa is too low for some of those schools. Everything else seems to be in order.

By Futurcivilengnr (Futurcivilengnr) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 11:21 pm: Edit

Thanks for the input... I got a 790 on the SAT 1 math section, not an 800 (oops). Just an added piece of information, my gpa weighted is a 4.24.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page