Evaluate my Chances Plz

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Evaluate my Chances Plz
By Pcqo (Pcqo) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 04:22 am: Edit

English is my 3rd language
Appling as a computer genius what are my chances for UVA , UCB , Carnegia M, what are my chances for Computer Engineering?

I am webmaster since 8's grade
and my webpage has been published in the most famouse TV's , computer magazines and newspapers as the best network security webpage in my nation. Now my site is getting apr. 2000 hit per a day. And I have hacked the best icq number in the world which is 123456798.

Sat 1 m800 + v500
Sat2
m2c 770
m1c 770
german 680
writing 440

gpa. 3.4/5.0
rank 78/152
that's the worst part but my highschool is in top 5 in my country

my Ec's :

Lions Club President

Have beendancing for 3 years
Folk - Traditional Dance
Waltzh
Tango etc..

I am the manager of a very big offerestation ( 200 acres)

Have been plying basketball for 7 years ( in clubs )

Have been playing bowling for 2 years in a club.

Have participated in national math competitions.

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 05:01 am: Edit

what is your website url?

I think if it is really as good as you say it is and you are really famous you will get into CMU and UCB.. why not apply to MIT and Caltech and Harvey Mudd and University of Illinoise Urbana Champagne? I'd also apply to some safety schools, like UCSD, incase the colleges arent impressed with your computer "genius".

By Pcqo (Pcqo) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 05:41 am: Edit

but as you see I am not a very good student in my school.
To study in MIT I also have to be a nerd.
I learned nothing that I know about computer from a course. I just did research and got every information that I needed from my own resources. So I actually do not like to do what someone like a teacher commands me to do.

That's why I think that I wouldnt have any chance in MIT or Caltech.
Am I right?

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 07:25 am: Edit

you dont have to be a nerd to go to those colleges...(well sort of)

but you can also get in if your famous...
and they will help you stay in school...so that they can have a high retention rate

By Pcqo (Pcqo) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 07:31 am: Edit

but I am not famous
my website is famous

so you recommend to apply to these schools?
I was about to do early decision to UVA.
Shouldnt I do that?
What would u do If you were me?

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 07:47 am: Edit

if YOUR website is famous...then your famous since you created it...(well i think)

if i were you...i would at least try
the worst you can get is a rejection letter

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 10:31 am: Edit

I think that you should let your schools know about your web site. If your website is famous, it would be an enormous plus for your case. It may even override that class rank. It all depends on what the experts in that field--that is, those in the computer science departments , say about it. Admissions tends to be more ignorant about specialized info like that and may not give it enough credit. They'll need a memo from faculty. Lots of kids have websites and I don't know if they will really check yours out. So you need to impress someone internally so your ap gets a tag. Otherwise, it'll get thrown in the 1 read discard bin. That class rank will kill it. UVA--if you don't contact a professor and get an ally, I really doubt if they will check out your website. They get close to 15000 aps and they don't really have the staff to closely scrutinize every ap. And they do not defer early aps, they just dump them as rejects so you don't have a chance to send additional info or get to know the profs-email them, advertise your site--all of that stuff. The decision is made on about 2000 aps in less than two weeks with the notifications mailed by the end of November. They will zip through the aps focusing on the numbers and you do have blemishes. You need time to woo the school and let them see that hook of yours and then look at your app and see if they can accept you, rather than having them looking for the flags on you credentials . Good luck.

By Nyu2010 (Nyu2010) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 08:48 pm: Edit

"And I have hacked the best icq number in the world which is 123456798."
Whoa..too bad no one has ICQ anymore.

By Chenfei (Chenfei) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 08:54 pm: Edit

Just because Americans don't use ICQ anymore doesn't necessary mean that the rest of the world doesn't have ICQ. :)

By Pcqo (Pcqo) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 11:17 pm: Edit

in my country it is still the most popular messenger
but its not the point now

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page