How do you know if a school wants you?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: How do you know if a school wants you?
By Giraffe (Giraffe) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 03:15 am: Edit

I got mail from UCSD's Track & Field team after filling out a form on their recruiting website, where I sent them my best marks. Unlike all of the other mails I get from schools, the envelope was made out in blue hand-written ink. Inside was a letter, which seemed kind of generic. It address me as "Student-Athlete", not Paul. Furthermore, it congratulated me on my success for the 2003 spring season. Also included in the envelope was a pamhplet featuring UCSD's records for each event, along with a photo-copied article about their school being the #7 ranked public school (dated in 2000 might I add) and an article about their student-athletes loving the "UCSD experience."

What I am asking is, if they wanted me as an athlete, would they send me something similar to this, or would they send me a letter that said something like "We want you on our team here is free acceptance kthx."? UCSD's athletics programs are Division II. Thanks.

-Paul

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 03:18 am: Edit

They are interested in you. I doubt this means please come to our school we'll offer you a full ride and pay you money on the side and send hookers to your dorm, but it means something.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 11:52 am: Edit

You will rarely get the type of letter you described. LOL Most are more along the line of what you have. Most coaches or athletic departments cannot promise you admission. That comes from the admissions office. When they see your stats, talk to you and determine they can use you on their team, they will send a memo, or a list to admissions with your name on it. Someone from admissions generally has a conference with the athletic director and they then decide who gets in. If you meet the general profile of the student of that college, you will have no problem. If you are somewhat under what is typically accepted, there is some negotiation, and if they decide you can do the work, you are accepted. Div 3 schools are not permitted to give athletic scholarships, so the sport serve only as a hook to get in and also sometimes for sweeter financial aid packages. Though D 2 and 1 schools offer athletic scholarships, they do not for all sports. You need to find out what is available for your sport and if you are eligible for it. Unless you are a real stud in a high profile sport like football or basketball or a sport very special to a college, you will have to do alot footwork to get anything. A lot of coaches are just not proactive and are happy with what they get from regular admissions. What you want is a coach who is hot to build his team and on top of the recruiting process. My son found that out when he was going through his college process. Look at the division standings and check out the top 5-6 schools in D2 for your sport. Those schools are usually more proactive than the rest. Otherwise you have to push and prompt the coach for everything, and no that is not unusual. A lot of people think it's a shoo -in with a sports hook. It is not. You have to work for it.

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 01:52 pm: Edit

Paul...good luck and take Jamiemom's advice!

Cmaher...that was quite funny. I hope your wit comes across in your essays....truly a good thing.
Susan

By Giraffe (Giraffe) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 06:54 pm: Edit

"If you meet the general profile of the student of that college, you will have no problem."

If my SAT scores are slightly higher than the school's average, and my GPA is significantly lower than the school's average, would that be close to meeting the general profile?

Me v. Avg
(1260 v. 1222)
(3.33 v. 3.98)

(According to The Princeton Review, UCSD judges the SAT's on the same level of importance as they do GPA)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page