UPenn ED, or go for MIT?





Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: UPenn ED, or go for MIT?
By Bab (Bab) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 09:14 pm: Edit

Hello. I'm not sure whether to apply early to Penn or not. I would rather go to MIT or Caltech. But if I don't get into one of those, and I don't ED to Penn, I may not get into Penn regular, and then I would be really screwed. So what do you think, should I apply ED to Penn or wait until regular so I keep MIT and Caltech as options?

Here are my scores and such:
1540 SAT (800m, 740v)
800 physics, 780 math IIC, 640 Writing
GPA(UW) of 3.8, ~4.15(W) (I got all B's in math bc I was taking advanced classes very early; I took Calc BC in 10th and college courses 11th and 12th)

PSAT letter of commendation
NHS
I go to public school. Leader of a few clubs. Participant in a few others. I played a lot of sports, but none varsity level. Hardest courses available taken. Tutored kids over the summer, attended governor's school.

By Bab (Bab) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 09:15 pm: Edit

I forgot to mention I want to major in math, physics, or computers. Possibly double major in two of the three.

By Subgiambi (Subgiambi) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 12:39 am: Edit

You seem like a very strong student academics wise, and I would suggest going with MIT or Caltech, and not risking the Penn ED and getting locked out of both of those.

By Gotspice (Gotspice) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 01:18 am: Edit

Go for MIT/CalTech! Because even if you don't make it, I think you're strong enough to get into UPenn reg. decision..esp. since you're not applying for Wharton

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 02:16 pm: Edit

That is the issue, isn't it? You are not alone. Kids with Columbia and UPenn as 2nd or 3rd choices are stuck with the fact that they may well get in but only if they apply early. But if they apply ED, they will never know if they could get into their first choice school.
Theatre majors are stuck the same way. If CMU is your first choice and NYU is second, the problem is that CMU does not have ED for theatre majors but NYu gives generous preference and it is almost essential to go ED to get your preferred studio, advantages you lose going regular decision.
There is no good answer to this. It really depends on who you are. I would take a deep breathe, and suck it down. Apply to my first choice as first choice, and see where the chips land.


Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page