Applying to Harvard, Princeton, Duke, Yale.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Applying to Harvard, Princeton, Duke, Yale.
By Politicalgenius (Politicalgenius) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 06:57 pm: Edit

Hello and greetings to those in the College-Confidential realm. Lol. The real reason I'm posting is to determine whether or not I have a fighting chance at any of my top four. That is, the top four universities I'm applying to. Having stated my introduction, let's move to the stats:

Class Rank: #1 out of 474
GPA: 4.65 Weighted, 4.00 Unweighted
ACT: R-36; E-36; S-33; M-33.
Composite: 34
SAT I: Verbal-800; Math-780 = 1580
SAT II Subject Tests As Follows:
Math IC - 800
Math IIC - 760
Writing - 800
Physics - 800
Biology (E) - 700
Literature - 720

AP's:
Calc BC - 5
Comp. Gov't - 5
Biology - 5

EC's: President of Nat'l Honor Society, VP of FBLA, Sophomore and Junior Class President, Student Body Secretary (Senior Year), Membership in FCCLA, FTA, Physics Club, Chess Club, and Beta Club. Debated freshman through junior year. Accumulated just over 1400 NFL Points, making me #4 in the Nation, and a contender for NFL ALL-AMERICAN title. I was a National Merit Semi-Finalist, attended the National Student Leadership Conference, the MO-KAN-NE Student Leadership Conference, and did an internship with a State Representative (who is also writing me a recommendation.)

Comm Involvement: I worked as a secretary for our local courthouse, aided a local lawyer for three months, and took four college classes: Philosophy, Economics, Public Policy, and International Law at the local community college.
I teach a Kindergarten summer school class, and volunteer for Special Olympics each year as well.
In addition, I received our Community Excellence Award, the Henton Medal for Outstanding Involvement. This qualified me for the Minnesota State competition, but I was too busy to register. I plan to major in Poli-Sci, and be a lawyer, then a Senator, then hopefully a President.

Alumnus: My Dad went to graduate school at Yale, and my Great Uncle taught there before he retired.

So--what are my chances? People told me Yale looks good, but it's not my first choice. I want in at Harvard! Where do I stand?

By Justinfiddler (Justinfiddler) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 06:58 pm: Edit

lol why do you even ask. of course you have a chance. your rank, gpa, and test scores are all high.

By Politicalgenius (Politicalgenius) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 07:01 pm: Edit

I know I have a chance, but I was asking what kind of a chance I have. Perhaps I should be more direct so my question is answered with less difficulty? Okay here goes once more:
WHERE do I stand...Not do I stand, but WHERE?

By Fee12345 (Fee12345) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 07:04 pm: Edit

ouch those 20 math points will hurt man...

I suggest an SAT retake

if your that smart you should be able to figure out where you stand

By Cornell00 (Cornell00) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 07:07 pm: Edit

if you want in you better apply Ea harvard

By Justinfiddler (Justinfiddler) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 07:08 pm: Edit

you are a good candidate for any school. why are you asking? you almost have a 4000, you're rank one, and have a 4.0. you're ecs are good too

if you can't get in, who can?

By Politicalgenius (Politicalgenius) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 07:44 pm: Edit

Well, I'm not so confident just yet. What is the basis for most Harvard admissions? What do they look for?

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 07:56 pm: Edit

I'm beginning to doubt your credentials . . . what town/state do you go to school?

By Politicalgenius (Politicalgenius) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 08:01 pm: Edit

The school is Apple Valley High School in Apple Valley, MN.

By Pat57575 (Pat57575) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 09:23 pm: Edit

hey, I've been through apple valley. I have relatives in eagan.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 03:52 am: Edit

You're a lottery ticket, imo. A *good* lottery ticket but still a lottery ticket.

Legacy will help a lot at Yale; will help even more if you go EA.

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 11:15 am: Edit

Nobody can say where you stand. Obviously you look very very good on paper and have the credentials. You have achieved at a high level across the board. So, you should get into some top notch colleges. The thing is nobody can predict admissions at this level. You stand a better chance than many applicants. Unfortunately with the element of a crapshoot at these schools, that is not always enough. They build a class and you certainly are a person that will be considered to be in that class and could not do much better in the credentials department. But who can say who they choose to build that class? They turn away many kids like you even though it does not make sense or seem fair. I think you stand a better chance than many but could never say for certain that you could get into a particular school such as Harvard. I feel you stand a great chance to get into at least one very top school. Be confident of your credentials, put together a great app package, and realize that elite admissions has an element of unpredictability to it, even for the very best candidates such as yourself.
Good luck..
Susan

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 11:21 am: Edit

Ps...looking closer at your description, I think you should play up the stuff you have done that relate to your career or academic goals as that is one strong thing I notice on your EC list (obviously the grades, class rank and test scores are tops!). The rest of your ECs are so so in my opinion, clubs, some volunteering and so on. The work with the state rep is different and relates to your goals, plus other leadership things in student government. The other things like club this or that are nice but not that significant. Some kids might have stronger ECs than you, is my thought but yours are ok but you need to play up the significant ones, which as I see it are the ones that related to your political science interests.
Susan

By Pacman (Pacman) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 01:12 pm: Edit

Your chance is very good for any school except for Harvard. Your grades and SATs are good but there are a lot of people with grades and scores that's at least as good as yours. And many of them are rejected. To try to get into Harvard by just GPA and scores is a joke.

Your ECs are so so. They are many, but they seems to be the kind that anyone can do if they wanted to. You need some national recognitions.

But you definately have a chance at Harvard.

By Peterkitts (Peterkitts) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 05:08 pm: Edit

How in the world can you get OVER 1400 NFL points when the highest you can achieve is 1000?

By Kyle (Kyle) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 05:22 pm: Edit

You obviously have a good chance, but nothing is guaranteed. I would apply for some back-ups as well.

By Dmitrypetrovna (Dmitrypetrovna) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 05:46 pm: Edit

YOu guys are whacked. Buddy, welcome to the Harvard class of 2008.

By Politicalgenius (Politicalgenius) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 06:37 pm: Edit

the most NFL points u can get in one event is 1000, pal. Plus Nationals and IE's puts me at 1400. Check the stats if you don't buy it.
www.nflonline.org. Look up ALL-Americans then top in top 5. I'm #4. Another poster on here is number one, or so i've heard?

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 07:06 pm: Edit

i think your academic status is excellent by all means...however your ECs, while above average, might appear less stellar compared to the Ivy applicant pool. emphasis is key... i can tell your strength is the humanities (english/oratory, etc)...just make sure to emphasize this in your application. best of luck!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page