D in 11th grade

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: D in 11th grade
By Cyclones86 (Cyclones86) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 01:42 pm: Edit

Hey everyone. I'm a senior this year, and I made a little boo=boo junior year. I got a D in Precalculus.....I know, I know. The best year to get such a lousy grade, right? My transcript thus far has one C from ninth grade, and all As and some Bs. In my application, should I address that D??? Is it going to hurt my chances really badly if I have some solid ECs, recs and good SAT and ACT scores??? I'm freaking out....so please help!

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 01:50 pm: Edit

Yes, a D junior year in math will hurt. How much will depend on the schools you are applying to. Is there any possibility you could retake the class? If not, explain it but don't over explain it in your application (i.e., put the blame on yourself not on a bad teacher or something else) and make sure you indicate what you learned from the experience.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 02:59 pm: Edit

where? it's not gonna hurt at a community college and at almost every state school, and most private schools.
I doubt any Ivy/ivy level school will accept you though unless there's something super-unique about you

By Cyclones86 (Cyclones86) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 03:18 pm: Edit

thanks guys.
i figured it wouldn't be a good thing...
so i guess i can just say somewhere in the app that i made bad study choices and got a bad grade, and i learned from my mistakes, etc, etc

i'm not applying to any ivies, but i am looking at some top schools.
think rice, emory....that caliber.
and some good state schools too!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page