Any chances at MIT for this Chinese immigrant?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Any chances at MIT for this Chinese immigrant?
By obsessionA on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 10:45 am: Edit

(Sorry guys this might be a little too long)Hey, I've been in the US for one year, immigrating from China last December. I really screwed up my SAT I, only 1300 (540V+760M). But probably I can substitute that with TOEFL, which is 287/300. My SAT IIs are: 800Math IIC,800Physics,760Chemistry,600Writing(I know it's bad), and 800Chinese.I'm now living in Vermont and applied to MIT under early action. I'm good at math and science and I won the 6th prize in a state math exam, also an AIME qualifier and a member on the state ARML math team (the only person in my district). My EC's are not amazing, just like math league, NHS and peer tutoring. My school does not offer many AP courses in science, but I'm taking the toughest ones. Do you think I stand any chance at MIT? By the way, I don't think I've got a good interview or essay. I also applied to Berkeley but would that be impossible for me to get in since I'm out-state? Thank you very much for responding, both negative and positive comments are welcome.

By obsessionA on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 10:47 am: Edit

Oops, I forgot to mention my GPA: 4.01, Class rank 4/193.

By obsessionA on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 10:51 am: Edit

I talked about my transition to the US in my essay. Does that sound like a cliche?

By obsessionA on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 12:11 pm: Edit

Anyone?

By me on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 02:37 pm: Edit

You SAT's are definetly subpar for MIT, but since you are a recent immigrant, they will probably overlook the low verbal/writing scores. Other than, that you have amazing SAT II's and good EC's. I think that you stand a decent shot at MIT, but not a great shot because you stated that your essay was not good. Ouch!! Hopefully, your essay was creative and about unique experiences, because I believe that the topic is quite common.

Berkeley is extremely hard to get into out-of-state.

MIT and Berkeley-20-30%

By original poster on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 02:57 pm: Edit

I wish I were Hispanic...

By URM : on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 04:04 pm: Edit

lol, we all do ;)

By Dominican on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 05:41 pm: Edit

as do i..wait I am..score!

By OP on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 05:43 pm: Edit

One more week...getting so nervous...

By bumper on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 06:37 pm: Edit

bump

By OP on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 08:19 pm: Edit

I think I may call the admissions office on 13th. Do you think they'll give me a response?

By bumperbumper on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 02:47 pm: Edit

Bump again!:D

By asdfd on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 07:39 pm: Edit

they'll think youre a dork if you call on the 13th

By aol on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 08:04 pm: Edit

isn't it just pathetic to take Chinese when it's your native language? :) it won't help you at all..

excellent SATIIs, your SATI is okay, don't worry about it; the problem is your ECs, they are too common. Same goes for the awards. If you rely on your SATIIs only, you don't stand a chance, but if you get good recs and your essay is really interesting (why not post it?), your chances increase.

By sigh on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 06:13 pm: Edit

From your comments, I already know that I am a reject :( Having been here for only one year is not an excuse, but that's the best I can do. Regarding the Chinese SAT, I just took it for fun.

When I finally stepped on American soil on a freezing winter night at the end of 2001, I firmly realized that my life had changed completely and drastically. My sanity was somewhat disturbed by the 27-hour trip, yet I convinced myself that this was the destination I had yearned for over the past few years. The joy of family reunion cannot be described in words; however, it was also accompanied with my and my parentsí worry about how I could possibly endure the transition from China to America. Yes, this was a big challenge, and especially so for me, a junior in high school who was already seriously aiming at the top American colleges. For the first time in my life, I felt an overwhelming pressure that didnít allow me to hesitate. I told myself three words: Never give up. A few days later, I entered XXX High School, where I started my new life.

A feeling of loneliness gradually emerged and overpowered my emotions. In my school in China, I had a lot of friends with whom I could share my happiness and frustrations. But here, I felt like I was a nobody from nowhere. No one was willing to talk to me except my teachers. Everyday when I went for lunch in the cafeteria, I saw many of my classmates, socializing and laughing, yet I didnít belong to them. I didnít blame them for this; however, I decided that I would let them know me.

As an immigrant with barely adequate English for basic communication, I was absolutely inundated with coursework. It wasnít unusual for me to stay up until midnight finishing my homework. Frankly, as I was amazed by strange biological terms, soaked in the sea of history books, and awed by the slang dialogues in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, I questioned my decision of coming here. However, this immature thought was always ended by determination Ė never give up. Whenever I was depressed about grades and school work, I kept it to myself, not letting anyone know. On my shoulders, I was carrying my own future and the true hopes of my parents. In order to catch up with my classmates, I had to devote much more effort than anyone else. I wasnít ashamed of asking and answering questions in class using my somewhat funny-sounding English. Also, people could see me sticking with teachers after class, asking about the materials I didnít fully understand. I brought a dictionary with me to school everyday so that I could look up new words at any time. My perseverance finally paid off. My transcript and math awards are the best evidence of how hard I tried. My academic achievement changed the way people looked at me and brought me new friends.

The first year to a new country is always hard. Surviving this challenge has become a precious treasure of my life. This transition shaped me into a tough young man from a childish boyhood. When I face difficult times and trying circumstances in the future, I will always recall this significant period of time. Life does not always go smoothly, but with courage and determination one can overcome the obstacles and find his way to success.

If you have the patience to finish reading this boring essay, thank you.

By s on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 07:33 pm: Edit

Youre welcome

By Arizona Kid on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 03:28 am: Edit

Don't call admissions. That's a bad idea.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page