Chances at Ivies

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Chances at Ivies
By Fencinggirl28 (Fencinggirl28) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 10:49 pm: Edit

Hey, if any of you could rate my chances of getting accepted to Yale (Early Decision), Cornell, and Harvard, please let me know. Information is as follows:

New York resident
Public school
Rank: 5/252 but my school doesn't put class ranking on the apps

SAT I: 1480 (750 math, 730 verbal)
SAT II: Bio 590, Math IC 650, US History 750, Writing 740 (worth taking any over?)
GPA: 4.0 unweighted
AP: Euro Hist 3, American Hist 5, Chemistry 4
AP Classes this year: AP Physics, Government, Economics, English, Caluclus BC

Awards:
Outstanding award in French (2 years)
Outstanding in Band (3 years)
Photography contest winner (3 years)
Difference award in band
NYSSMA (flute) 3 years

Extra Curriculars:
Jazz band (4 years)
Band (4 years)
Marching band (4 years)
Pep band (4 years)
Pit orchestra (3 years)
Orchestra (3 years)
School magazine (2 years)
Debate (1 year)
Poetry club (1 year)
Art club (1 year)
National beta club (3 years)
Math honor society (3 years)
National honor society (2 years)
Music honor society (2 years)
Foreign language honor society (2 years)
Social studies honor society (2 years)
Flute quartet group -- founder (3 years)

Leadership:
Student council VP (1 year)
National beta club VP (2 years)
Section leader in band (2 years)

Outside of school:
Volunteer at library for children
Credits at local colleges
Fencing at local college

Summer activites:
Work at children's camp
Intern at county law office (the lawyer I interned for is a Cornell graduate -- recommendation sent to Cornell from him)
Volunteer at library

Probably a few other things I can't remember.. but what do you guys think are my chances are at Yale, Cornell, and Harvard? I'm especially interested in Yale (applying ED).. please let me know! thanks!! :)

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 09:07 am: Edit

You have a pretty good chance because of your dedication to music. Any other EC you add in will adulterate your app. I highly highly suggest cutting the following out of your app:

National beta club (3 years)
Math honor society (3 years)
Foreign language honor society (2 years)
Social studies honor society (2 years)

It sounds really cheesy!

Good luck

By Fencinggirl28 (Fencinggirl28) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 10:06 am: Edit

Hi, thanks for your advice. I don't think I'm going to cut National Beta Club (English honor society) because I've been VP for two of the years and I've instigated a lot of volunteer programs for my school through it. It's one of the activities I am very dedicated to. But I agree with you on the debate, art, and poetry. It isn't very necessary to add those. Thanks for your time, I appreciate it :)

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 10:38 am: Edit

hey i posted that exact thing and my post isn't here for seme reason

By Dmitrypetrovna (Dmitrypetrovna) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 04:21 pm: Edit

you definitely have cornell. Who can say more to anyone about Harvard and Yale other than "you've got a shot." Good luck.

By Anduin (Anduin) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 07:16 pm: Edit

A few things. First, Yale does Single Choice Early Action, not Early Decision. Second, even though your school might not report your rank (which is very, very odd), I believe that you have to put it down yourself anyway. Your devotion to music is clear and will be a strong asset. You have a good shot at Cornell, and as good a shot as most people at Yale and Harvard.

By Ace7749 (Ace7749) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 10:44 pm: Edit

Yea I definitely think that having such a strong interest in music should help your chances. Ivies want to see that your an interesting person too. My dad is high up in the world and we're having brunch with the President of Harvard so Ill try and dig some information about what they look for in admissions and Ill post ya back.

By Fencinggirl28 (Fencinggirl28) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 09:22 am: Edit

Yeah, i found the whole not posting ranking weird, too, but what they do is they post if you're in the top tenth, top third, etc. I'm definitely in the top tenth. Suppodedly, this is supposed to better students' chances of getting into top schools.

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 02:58 pm: Edit

my school doesn't even send out GPAs or any rankings...just grade distribution charts.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page