Looking for evaluation and advice...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Looking for evaluation and advice...
By Pennylane (Pennylane) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 10:15 pm: Edit

Hey everyone. I'm a senior in high school who is beginning to work on applications. I plan to double major in English & Psychology, and be very involved with drama and music as EC's.

I'd appreciate if you could evaluate my stats for the following schools: Brown ED, NYU, Boston University, Sarah Lawrence, University of Chicago, Barnard, Providence College... and also, please FEEL FREE to make any more suggestions for schools that you think would fit, as well. Thank you :)

GPA: 3.93
SAT I: 1330 (720 verbal, 610 math)
SAT II: Writing: ? Literature: ? US History: ?(taking all 3 on 10/11, plus possibly Spanish later on)
Essays & Recommendations should be great.

Extra Curricular Activities/Work Experience:

-Drama Club (Performed in: 5 plays, Tech Work: Assistant Director of a play, Usher for a play, Upcoming Performances: 2) - 9, 10, 11, 12
All Children’s Theater Ensemble (Performed in: One play Tech Work: Props Manager for that play, usher for other productions) - 9
-Chorus - 9, 10, 11, 12
-Chorale (invitation/audition only vocal group) - 10, 11, 12
-Show Choir - 11, 12
-Girl Group (small, female vocal group) - 10, 11, 12
-Mini Musical (performance of play that teaches lessons about character to elementary school students) - 10
-Internship at Kent County Daily Times (town newspaper) - 11
-Part-time job: Baby-sitting (9 hours/week) - 10
-Part-time job: Kids R Us (anywhere from 10-20 hours/week, more in summer) - 11, 12
-Student Council - Homeroom Representative (particated in many fundraisers/community service) - 11, 12
-Social Committee - Homeroom Representative - 11, 12
-National Honor Society - 11, 12
-Tri-M Music Honor Society - 11, 12
-Spanish Honor Society (w/ honors) - 11, 12
-Peer tutoring/Teaching assistant in math - 12
-Aware Records Representative - Promoting music artists - 12

Awards

-Brown University Book Award
-We the People Competition State Champions (represented our state in the national competition in Washington DC)
-News article published in Kent County Daily Times
-Danced in Macy’s Day Parade, Thanksgiving 2002, with show choir and America Sings
-Letter for show choir
-Numerous awards from music festivals
-"110%" award for a drama performance
-Production award for a drama performance

Thanks again,
Ashley

By Briteeyez4322 (Briteeyez4322) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 10:40 pm: Edit

whoa... you're stats, prospective majors, and ec's are frighteningly identical to mine (well maybe not identical ec's but very very similar)... I am applying at: swarthmore, haverford, bowdoin, bryn mawr, scripps, kenyon, willamette, washington, mary washington, and muhlenberg... I know kenyon has an AMAZING writing program... (but these are all LAC's so it depends on what you're looking for I guess)... Brown looks like it will definitely be a reach but you're ec's will be a boost for you! :)

By Pennylane (Pennylane) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 10:53 pm: Edit

See, the thing is, I really want to go to school in a city (as you can probably tell), and most LACs are outside of the city (or, at least the cities I'm generally looking at, such as NYC, Boston, etc). So I have nothing against LACs at all, it's just that I prefer the urban location.

I was hoping the EC's, being concentrated in mostly the performing arts, would help... hopefully it shows my dedication... I was also voted "Class Thespian" for senior superlatives this year, but am debating as to whether or not I should include it...

Thanks for the reply, and I'll look into the schools you mentioned as well :)

Ashley

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 02:34 am: Edit

You have too many small or minor awards and EC's.. put down only your important ones that show your passion for one particular subject.. ther is no need for NHS, SHS, MHS, Tutoring, Mini Musical, Macy's Day Parade, etc...

Show the ones you have 3-4 years dedicated to or the EC's/Awards that are really special/prestigious.

If you list 30 EC's, it will seem like you are padding your application.

btw: You'll get in.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 09:55 am: Edit

I think you have a good mix of schools. You'll certainly get into several of them.
My son's girlfriend from several years back had a resume almost identical to yours except with a mid 1500 SAT, was #2 in her class, many APs. She applied to most of the ivies and BC. She only got into BC. She did not make one of the top 25 applicants at BC (she was #42). So you can see how competitive some of these schools are. (By the way, she loves BC, she's big in theatre there,and loves Boston, ) But you have a good variety in your basket, a great spread.

By Pennylane (Pennylane) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 05:26 pm: Edit

Thanks for the replies. Do you think that writing about the Macy's experience in my essay (as opposed to including it on my application) would be a good idea?

By The_Slc_Bug (The_Slc_Bug) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 10:51 pm: Edit

I go to Sarah Lawrence.

You'll get accepted unless something goes wrong in your essay or interview, which is unlikely. It's just that they are slightly different and pay a lot more attention to things beyond GPA and test scores. A friend who got into Vassar didn't get accepted to SLC, etc. And I have friends here who chose SLC over Brown, CMU, and similarly selective schools simply for the conference system. *shrug* I wouldn't, but they did.

SLC has good psych and english, and excellent drama, so that works for you. It is also the most liberal curriculum you're going to get, even more so than Brown.

I'm actually trying to transfer to Cornell, though--almost finished applying. Oh god. I'm nervous. Ha.

I would think that Boston University and Providence College are probably definite acceptances, though I don't really know too much about BU admissions, so.

GOOD LUCK WITH BROWN!!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page