Have I ruined my chances at any decent college?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Have I ruined my chances at any decent college?
By Overflow (Overflow) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 08:25 pm: Edit

I recently transferred from boarding school after a week of classes into a decent public in my hometown. The problem is that I have attended three different public schools over the course of my high school career and am worried about the impact it will have on my record. Will colleges see this as a huge negative? During my two years at boarding school I earned decent grades and was committed to a few in-school organizations. I'm also worried about my extracurriculars, and even though I have gained leadership in several during the 11th grade, I don't know if they are worth listing after a short two-year involvement. I also want to know if I should aim lower and if I should bother applying to many of the colleges on my list at all (I'm considering Barnard, Carnegie Mellon, Howard, Penn, UC-Berkeley, and University of Maryland-College Park).

My stats are here: http://pr.damnsw.net/display.php?user=overflow

Thanks in advance for any responses or recommendations.

By Me1 (Me1) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 10:23 pm: Edit

Hey I think u have a chance & should apply. Being a black female (I noticed that on your stats page) will help you, although you would probably still have a chance w/o it, but it will help if you're on the edge. Your internships seem interesting/not overly common. If there's a reason why you transfered (besides something like not liking the schools) it might be good to explain it. Of course apply to some safeties but definitely don't give up on your reach schools. Good luck!

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 10:03 am: Edit

I think you have a good chance at those schools especially if you write an essay about the hardships of moving around from school to school and all the different kinds of schools you attended from being a scholarship student at a boarding school to all of those public schools. You have an unusual resume and that will attract attention. Take your perceived disadvantage and turn it into a strong point. I find it impressive that you have done so well with all of the upheavals and moves. we have moved a lot and our kids did not take the transitions well at all. You are an inspiration to those who do have to switch school, or any type of gears inlife and who persevere.

By Overflow (Overflow) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 12:06 pm: Edit

I appreciate your your responses. I know I need to apply to more safeties, but not very many colleges, prestigious or not, have captured my interest. Can anyone suggest a few safeties based on my stats and prospective majors? And also, how should I list my extracurriculars on my applications? In a couple of clubs that I participated in at boarding school, I was named head for the current school year. Is it worth listing that I made head, or will it simply look like I'm padding my EC list?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 08:51 pm: Edit

Smith or Wellesley perhaps? Some other possiblities: U of Chicago, Claremont McKenna, Pomona, Johns Hopkins.
Some possible safeties: Trinity U (TX), Trinity College (CT), Rhodes College, Lafayette, Macalester, Willamette (Oregon), U of Rochester, George Washington U.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 11:15 pm: Edit

I think you have a nice selection of schools. You are way ahead of the game if you actually like each of them and are not just picking out of the blue or for prestige purposes. i think you can add a few stretches just for the fun of it. You might get in. You certainly have the resume to be in the running. You seem to have your matches and safeties covered already. I think you are shortchanging yourself a bit if you have some schools in mind that you feel are too much of a stretch. Heck, you have a core list of schools you like with reasonable to excellent chances of getting in. Have a little fun with an ivy or two. Good luck.

By Overflow (Overflow) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 03:14 pm: Edit

Thanks for all your responses, they've made me feel a bit better about applying. Does anyone have an answer about my extracurriculars question in the second message I posted?

By Overflow (Overflow) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 11:38 am: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page