Illegal immigrants

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Illegal immigrants
By Illegalintheus (Illegalintheus) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 08:00 pm: Edit

i think this may put an interesting twist into this forum...

what are my chances... at life?

this is a thread i recently posted on another group
---------------------------
I am in quite a quagmire

My parents immigrated with me to the US about 15 years ago. Since then we have become a rather succesful family and have fulfilled to some degree the quote, unquote American dream. They have raised so as to enable me to acquire the best possible education and I would like to say that I have done my best to make their efforts worthwile. You decide

1 out of 806
1560 SAT (800V/760M)
IIC 790 Bio 770
5 - Calc, Bio, US History 4 - Eng. Lit
NHS President
Lots of other stuff

I go to one of the best public high schools in southern texas. However I am lacking one omnipotent item that may jepordize any chance at college admission. The infamous green card. We have had an application on file at the INS for god knows how long. My only other option may be to apply as an international student but that also entails a certain amount of risk. My dream is to be able attend the Jerome Fisher M&T program at UPenn. I've found myself in quite a rut. Anyone have any advice for me? Any connections with George W, a federal judge, or Almighty God :-P, because those are about my only chances now.

-one screwed illegal
--------------------------------
say everything works out, can someone tell me about my chances at the M&T program, i know it is the most selective at 11% and 50 students enrolling. I did attend a summer program at upenn though, this could help my chances right? I would appreciate any advice on any of this.

By Indie_Boy (Indie_Boy) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 09:35 pm: Edit

yea dude...i face the same problem...The freakin Green Card man. im on h4 visa...green card takes forever. Since we dont have green card we dont get any financial aid. if u really cant pay then go to a community college and transfer...thatz what im doin. good luck

By Becks777 (Becks777) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 10:03 pm: Edit

if u have completed all 4 yrs of HS here..then you should be evaluated as a domestic student...although no fin.aid for sure

By Agamemnon314 (Agamemnon314) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 11:06 pm: Edit

Becks777, what do you mean "you should be evaluated as a domestic student"? what difference would that make? Would that mean its easier for "domestic" Internationals to get admitted than Internatinal Internatinals? Where did you get that info from?

Well, sorry for the battery of questions, I'm in the same boat as all of you in this forum, I'm really stressed out. no MIT for me.

By Njjunior (Njjunior) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 11:41 pm: Edit

Maybe if your family considered not coming here to drain our economy and put the added cost of tuition onto those families who were not fortunate enough to sneak across the border, yet were just born here and worked hard enough to support themselves.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 11:56 pm: Edit

that's the attitude njjunior. those stupid immigrants, those lazy bastards that weren't born here! Of course it must be their fault.

You know what's sad about people who're so opposed to immigration? They wouldn't be here if it weren't for it. People dream to have something you have acquired through no labor of yours. Yet you're enough of a hypocrite to talk about how it hurts the country.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 11:58 pm: Edit

noone works harder than illegal immigrants, they get payed below minimum wage(if they're fortunate enough to find a job), and that alone makes them deserve the coveted green card more that you, who probably didn't have to work for anything in your life. And yet you will have the card, the parents, the money, the education and will your children will be just like you are.
I hope to god my children appreciate and realize that not being born in the US doesn't make one less deserving of the American Dream

~one very fortunate immigrant.

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 04:34 am: Edit

Rubenizm, not all immigrants are migrant workers.

By Illegalintheus (Illegalintheus) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 10:09 am: Edit

word Ruben

My father has payed taxes every single year since we moved to this country. We came here for reason only, to move forward. I consider myself to be as American as you, in fact I'm probably more knowledgable about America then most Americans are. All I've done is work hard all my life to try to make something of myself, if that's not an American ideal junior, then tell me what is?

If anyone else has any constructive comments that might help me out, please let me know. I don't even know whether to apply as a international student, I've only lived here!

By Njjunior (Njjunior) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 12:01 pm: Edit

I have absolutely nothing against immigrants to this country, except for the ones who come here ilegally and expect to be rewarded for doing so. However, I do commend you and your family for trying to better yourselves in the world.

By Agamemnon314 (Agamemnon314) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 12:29 pm: Edit

Someone actually want to comment on my question rather than debating about immigration. To reiterate my question: Does colleges actually count Internationals who went to school in the U.S. as "domestic applicants" or in the same pool as other internatinals?

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 07:26 pm: Edit

i think you're international at most schools. Columbia wants me to file as an international, only because i haven't completed 5 grades here. Sucks for Columbia because i'm not taking the TOEFL just because one school wants me to. They also have foreign, which at all NORMAL schools means international. So as far as i know your schooling doesn't have any effect on your status(at normal schools, not Columbia). So if you have a green card/citizenship, you're domestic. If you don't you're international(at normal schools) or foreign(at Columbia).

Columbia sucks, i'm taking AP english and they still want to see my toefl scores...stupid yankees.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 10:50 pm: Edit

There are schools that are need blind for foreign students. You need to have a heart to heart with an admissions officer to find out exactly where you stand in applying. Find a nearby college, make an appointment and ask what the policy would be for you. Would they ignore your illegal status or do they require paperwork that you do not have? I would then talk to an attorney about your situation and what you can do? Legal aid perhaps. Do not use your real name when making these appointments.

By Illegalintheus (Illegalintheus) on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 01:08 pm: Edit

bump

By Rhinomorales (Rhinomorales) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 01:45 pm: Edit

I recommend you to ask the admissions President for a "Presidential Waiver" every school has a program like it. This Waiver helps out of state students get a lower tuition so that they could go to the school they want most. Since you graduated from a "Domestic" High School, you should be considered as a "Domestic" student as well in College. However, I really recommend you to talk to the admissions President. If you have not been able to talk to this guy, wear something formal as a business suit to impress them and get to talk to them in their own terms. Make sure to tell them what you want and then tell them who you are.

Sincerely,
an "illegal" junior student at Georgia Tech

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page