What if you just say you'r URM?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: What if you just say you'r URM?
By Angry white male on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 12:51 am: Edit

I've already sent in my app, so i'm not thinking about doing this or anything, but i was just wondering how would a college know you were lying if you said you were black? Some colleges ask for pictures, but it's optional. It's not as if they're going to check once you enroll? Something like this could get a student into Harvard.....

By irk on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 07:10 am: Edit

yeah

By noway on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 03:41 pm: Edit

They're gonna know you cheated and kick you straight out of school...Don't do it!

By ? on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 04:07 pm: Edit

and how would they find out?

By Kinda risky on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 05:48 pm: Edit

well, most ivies require interviews (definitely Harvard)! Buy some body paint and you might be ok.But since we're on the topic.. how would they check if you exaggerate on the comm. service/EC's?

By i_doubt_it on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 05:52 pm: Edit

I agree. There seems to be no way to check comm. service or EC's. So should EC's be evaluated so heavily?

By . on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 07:06 pm: Edit

By dsa on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 08:07 pm: Edit

I know. I could say I founded MUN and was an intern for a senator and won a national speech championship. And whereas there might be a way of checking something like the speech thing, they don't take the time to do that, otherwise they wouldn't mail decisions until deeeeep into the summer

By A Guy on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 12:07 am: Edit

UC Berkeley recently issued a press release saying that they're going to start validating some amount of EC's.

By Disgruntled on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 12:23 am: Edit

that's a very good question. and there's the whole issue of what "ethnicity" is defined as.
for example, an online buddy of mine was born and raised in Singapore, but he is white. But he classifies himself as Asian because that is his cultural background, and where he is from.
Also, they can't validate if you're 1/4 or 1/16 something... they just ask what you "define" yourself as. So if you see yourself as Hispanic, what can they do? Even if you already had an interview and you "looked" white... suppose you've been raised in a Hispanic culture or household. Another example, a friend of mine is 1/8 Hispanic, with blonde hair and blue eyes. Doesn't look Hispanic at all. But guess what else? Her last name is Chavez. Go figure.

By yeah guy on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 01:31 am: Edit

yeah!

By thatsucks on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 08:44 am: Edit

According to the Theory of Evolution, every human being should have the same origin. Haha!

By bump on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 07:57 pm: Edit

bump

By bumper on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 11:42 pm: Edit

bumpity bump

By Gregon on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 11:50 pm: Edit

Racial issues will eventually die out because of mixed race people.

Halley Berry for example.

By Jesse Jackson on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 12:47 am: Edit

Everyone should screw until we're all the same color

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page