Georgetown student answering questions

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Georgetown student answering questions
By Hoya on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 12:29 am: Edit

I'm a government major at Georgetown U. Seems like you all are pretty nervous about college, so if you have any questions about GTown in particular i'll be happy to answer them.

By nswisher64 on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 01:42 am: Edit

Hi. Georgetown is one of my top choices. I was just wondering about your overall gtown experience, i.e. what you enjoy most, what you dislike most. Also, what do you think it was on your application that set you apart, i.e. gpa, test scores, extracurriculars.

By Hoya on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 01:52 am: Edit

What I enjoy the most....well there are many things. I am a government major and it is a very politically charged atmosphere, so I enjoy that. What I dislike the most is that 98 percent of the people around me are white. (I'm white too, by the way.) Also, there are some things about the Catholic affiliation that bother me. For example, there can be a pro-life student group (Hoyas For Life) but the administration forbids a pro-choice group. Also, it is a bit of a party school for being so prestigous. But all in all, I love it here. The campus is beautiful as is the surrounding area. I really don't know what set my application apart. I had 1460 SAT I and 720, 700, 690 SAT II. My GPA was 4.3 weighted. What are your stats?

By wannabehoya on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 07:48 am: Edit

Thanks again for doing this! Can you tell me a little more about your stats (if you remember even) like how is your GPA calculated, Ec's, etc. Where are you from? Also you mention that its a bit of a party school,which I want!! But I actually heard before that party life wasn't that big because there are lots of cops around and that only upperclassmen have fun at bars and nightclubs. Is this just a myth? Congrats on going to one of the best schools in the country!

By Hoya on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 08:25 pm: Edit

I had a 4.3 GPA with AP's counting as 5.0, and regular and honors classes counting as 4.0. I took four AP's junior year and 3 AP's senior year. I passed all of my AP tests except AP Chem junior year. I was active in a lot of political things like Speech, Junior State, Student Gov, and I interned for a congressman. Basically with the party thing, it's as much as you want to make out of it. If you're looking for parties, you will not be dissapointed, but you can also avoid them if you want. What are your stats?

By Hoya on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 08:25 pm: Edit

I'm from large public high school in CALI

By wannabehoya on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 09:33 pm: Edit

I'm a junior, who lives pretty close to D.C., I go to a really good school. 4.0 unweighted (for now),but I have a feeling Calc grade might be a B+. 1500 SAT, 730 Writing, I haven't taken others yet. I've taken two AP's so far, and now I have 4, 3 next year. okay ec's 1 club really involved, I'm pretty good at Spanish, won a couple competitions, went to Spain for a semester, ect. For my school the GT admit rate is 50%. I wanna study economics or some business related field. I also work 15-20 hours a week and do varsity track. Nothing else to significant tho... Thanks for reading this.

By Hoya on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 10:14 pm: Edit

What school do you go to? Winston Churchill?

By u on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 10:27 pm: Edit

Do you know a guy by the last name of Yankey? He also goes to GTown (freshman). 1600 SAT.

By Hoya on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 10:37 pm: Edit

No, but I know plenty of guys who should be named Yankey.......most people here go by three names, a number, and expect you to know who their father is. For example, a lot of the people you meet will say something like "My name is Phillip Johnson O'Hanley the third, my father is of course Phillip Johnson O'Hanely, Jr., CEO of (you fill in the company). I go to (Fill in the name of a saint here) Prepatory Academy. And you?" Thats the majority of the people on campus.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page