QUARKY, if anyone remembers or cares about him

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: QUARKY, if anyone remembers or cares about him
By Quarky (Quarky) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 05:38 pm: Edit

This sucks, I want to post, but no longer have topics, since I am in college now. Anyone have anything to say?

By Soulofheaven8 (Soulofheaven8) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 05:43 pm: Edit

Your thread regarding girls really intrigued me. Maybe you've already said so, but how's the search going? Do you have a girlfriend yet?

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 05:43 pm: Edit

where?

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 05:48 pm: Edit

Hi Quarky!
Where did you end up in college? Weren't you tending towards your own state school in, was it Iowa? How's it going?

By Soulofheaven8 (Soulofheaven8) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 06:00 pm: Edit

I think he's at CalTech.

By Sandy (Sandy) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 06:29 pm: Edit

Hey Quarky,
Do you remember me? Probably not, but I was the one who was like jumping up and down when you were on waitlist. What's up? How is college? Good luck with everything!(although I really need it right now)

By Quarky (Quarky) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 06:58 pm: Edit

Yay! Some nice CC people remember me. Thank you all.

Soulofheaven: no girlfriend. This is one thing that is really frustrating right now. That's like my next goal, really. I got the academic part covered, cuz it's pretty easy and this month has been enough to get me on track to easy yet educational year. I really want a GF, but am still looking. I found one who would be a perfect fit for me. I like everything about her, and she is also Russian like me. But there are several problems. She is a junior, so she is insanely busy with work and school (she has to support herself, cuz she is on a student Visa in the USA). The second prob is that she has a bf, but he's in Twin Falls, which is basically a long-dist relationship, and those don't last. The #1 problem is that she is very stressed due to the lack of time in her life. She studies/works 24/7, basically. I tried to make her go relax and do some fun stuff, but she has made college+work her #1 priority and looks like she isn't efficient at studying, so it takes up all of her time.

I, on the other hand, am really efficient here. Homework doesnt take up that much time, in some classes like Calc 3 i dont need to do homework cuz profs dont collect it and I learn everything I need from lectures. Like in calc 3, i have done only one homework assignment this year -- the very first one. The prof gives homework 3 times a week, but doesnt collect it. I understand the stuff very well, so I got like 90, 99, 95% on my quizzes and 97% on my exam.

Back to the topic of GFs. There are many girls that are totally after me, but they aren't my type. They are crazy/wild, which is what i am around friends (thats why these girls think im their type), but my inner personality is a quiet, shy, innocent boy :)

Rubenizm and Texas I'm going to U of Idaho. It's alright. I can handle it... Still hoping for caltech though. I will most likely apply as a transfer. Classes here at UI are really easy, so I joined several academic clubs, plus Im doing chemistry research to get some hand-on experience.

Sandy! Yes, I remember you! Well, unfortunately i didnt get off the WL, but thanks for ur support anyway. Thanks for wishing me luck, I wish you the best of luck as well. What are your plans?

Take care everyone,
Dima

By Sandy (Sandy) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 07:15 pm: Edit

"a quiet, shy, innocent boy "
hahahah....you and shy? impossible:)

It is nice that you are handling everything pretty good. You sound calmer and more satisfied. YEY!!!

My plans??????? The whole CC knows..lol..Rice, Rice, and did I mention Rice? MY DREAM SCHOOL!!!Go to the Rice discussion and 50% of the posts are mine:)

By Cornell00 (Cornell00) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 07:36 pm: Edit

how cute!! a quiet, shy innocent boy aw!! in into that!
well
I suggest to find another girl since shell provably sound too busy!
well gook luck!!

good luck if you do decide to transfer to Caltech!!
i used to read ur post:) cool your back

By Quarky (Quarky) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 09:42 pm: Edit

Sandy -- that's cool. I'm thinking about applying to Rice as a xfer. If I have time, I will apply to 2-3 safeties this year. If not, then I'll just stick with U of I. But I really want to make some time to apply to Caltech. The only thing that might keep me away from applying there is the application; I don't know what the xfer app looks like. For instance, if it asks for a letter of rec from the dean of students or something, then I don't know how I would get that.

Cornell00 - be more careful with your word usage. "... if you do decide to transfer to Caltech!!" Unfortunately, it is not up to ME to decide. If I was guaranteed admission as a transfer APPLICANT, then I'd go there... But yeah, if I decide to apply to Caltech as a transfer, then thank you for wishing me luck.

I agree with the girl suggestion. She is like way too busy. The only thing that keeps me thinking about her is the fact that I am very sorry for what she has to go through and I wish I could help (I won't go into details, but trust me -- she has other problems, and her life here in the US isn't easy). Unfortunately, she has no time to give me the opportunity to help, so I am afraid there's nothing I can do... ANd don't be mistaken -- I am sorry for her as a friend. I would help her as a friend. I'm not necessarily asking for more. I honestly wish I could help her with her problems... I need her to open up though... I dont really know what to do. Most likely, I will have to let her deal with everything on her own, which I know will be a pain in the rear for her..

By Heartfang2 (Heartfang2) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 01:40 am: Edit

Hi, You can help evaluate the chances .. there are LOTS of 'Please Evaluate My Chances' posts begging for people to say something.

Or review the essays.

This sucks, I want to post, but no longer have topics, since I am in college now. Anyone have anything to say?

By Quarky (Quarky) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 01:20 pm: Edit

No, that's a waste of time, I have learned. Do you really think I am qualified to speak for Ivy schools' ADCOM? NO!

By Neo (Neo) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 01:52 pm: Edit

Hey, Quarky :^) I'm Neo. Nice to meet ya. Read a lot of your posts on some of the older threads when I was initially rather tense about the college game, and they helped, so thankya. Now that you're in there at last, what is college really like? Did you fit right in, or did you have to do a bit to put yourself outthere with other people? Are you working, or cruising, or is it just right?

By Quarky (Quarky) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 08:13 pm: Edit

Hi Neo! I am glad that I was able to help.

To answer your questions. I don't fit in, I have no social life, and I study and work 24/7.

Just kidding :)
Well at the beginning it was kinda tough because there was one week of freshman orientation. The problem is that I got thrown in a random hall (i applied too late, so my first 2 choices were full by then). This hall sucks in that there are stupid loud people who get wasted big time. I think they get high too, cuz one time i went into the community bathroom to brush my teeth and some black guy was standing there with his pants down, half naked. He looked at me and said whats up. His eyes were red + the fact that he was half naked told me that he was really high. It was pretty scary. Basically, I dont do anything with my res hall. The friends I make are mostly from my classes or friends of my friends whom I knew before I came here. I often hang out with a group people, some of whom live off-campus. I also meet some interesting people, because luckily, I have three honors courses so people there aren't stupid. Like today, I hung out with a really nice girl from my HON math 315 class. Later today, Im getting dinner with some friends (some are off-campus), and then we're gonna get a party going. I will probably just crash at their apartment, cuz tonight is time to get wasted, but I will be fine. Im always under control :) Yeah then tomorrow I will prolly wake up at around noon, go back to my res hall, get sumfin to eat, then do homework. Then I have a meeting with my dumb engineering group so that we can do our lab report.

As far as working/cruising -- a little bit of both. Partying is nice cuz that's the cruising part :) I need a break from work during the week, you know. I dont really work that hard, cuz it aint that tough. Some stuff is simply time-consuming. Like having three labs - I have three lab reports due each week: Mon - Electr Engr, Tue - Phys 211, Wed - HON Chem 111. It's not too bad though. I am getting used to it. I get really high grades on those lab reports too, because it looks like my HS did a good job of educating me in the math and sciences. Maybe it's just because UI is stupid (I think it's both, actually). Yeah, stuff like that... I usually try to get a head start on the lab reports, so I already have my chem lab report done, and will prolly start physics report tomorrow. I also do chem research in the lab, it's really fun and provides great hands-on experience. I work 5 hrs/week for the math department, for my HON Math 315 professor. See http://www.uidaho.edu/imc

Any other questions? Thanks!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page