COLLEGE SEARCH--I AM SOO LOST, PLS EVALUATE *(exchng stdnt)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: COLLEGE SEARCH--I AM SOO LOST, PLS EVALUATE *(exchng stdnt)
By Sots (Sots) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 11:08 pm: Edit

My SATs are 1380, with a seven-something on the verbal. I took the ACTs once, and am retaking ACTs and SATs in Oct and Nov. ACT I did well on everything but BOMBED the science (what the heck was that?!) so I got a 28... No SAT 2's yet (uh oh... ) and dont know what I can take besides writing. Took a Bio one in 9th grade with no AP course and got a 650, which I assume is pretty bad. I have score choice, but I am going to try for competetive colleges-- should I ditch the record?? Class rank: 28/450-ish, 97.1 gpa w/ a 101% average last year. Also, I'm really looking a lot to my extracurriculars here, which have hurt a lot of other things-- I was an exchange student in Brasil for a year, now speak fluent Portuguese, and am a very talented artist (considered art school, but then I'd feel like all of those APs were such a waste, and I want to find really motivated people in college). I was also chosen out of my grade as one of 5 people interviewed for Empire Girls State, and I was the one that was selected as a first-choice to go. I went and got "Comptroller," which is a really high position. Editor of Art and Lit Mag, HS, regular clubs, youth court.... work almost every day after school.... I'm hoping all of this will push me up so I can compete with people who have better scores... But I am new to all of this, and any advice/criticism would REALLY help me out here. ...Also, I really want to go to Brown--there I could take art classes at RISD, a very good art school next door, and they have a whole portuguese community there. Am I dreaming?

By Serdu (Serdu) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 11:16 pm: Edit

You sound like a unique case. 650 w/o the AP class is HARD, I dont know what you're talking about with " bad". You rank is top 5%, VERY cool and unique activities, with leadership. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT forget to mention girls state, it is EXTREMELY prestigious. I dont see the problem. The only thing you can do now is Re-test for SAT's(1380 is a tad, just a bit low, aim for a 1420+)and SAT II's. IF YOU ARE TAKING THE II'S ON NOV. 1ST TODAY IS YOUR LAST DY TO REGISTER W/O PAYING 40 BUCKS IN LATE FEES! Do it now! I think you've got excellent chances! Also, please see my slightly controversial conversation at "PLEASE HELP( answers needed)

By Sots (Sots) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 11:18 pm: Edit

Sure, hey thanks a lot!! I know, I am a "unique" case, which is confusing the heck out of me. ^-^ So should I keep the 650 or not? *confused* And REALLY?? Is it?! OMG thanks for telling me!!!!!

By Serdu (Serdu) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 11:25 pm: Edit

Of course, unless you think you can do better. Will you retest for BIO in Nov? And NO PROB, happy to help :) Unique, yes. 1st of all, your passion for art shines through, make sure to mention it in the essay and what you hae done to follow it. 2nd you know what you want out of brown, which is EXCELLENT. That makes you stand out! But if you want to put the icing on the cake, write abot your passions in the essays, they are important.

By Sots (Sots) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 11:36 pm: Edit

Erm, nooo... Lol. I took the bio one 4 years ago, during which Ive gone through a period when I almost entirely forgot the English language, renivented myself, and let's just say that I have enough trouble retaining the info from the reading I did for APUSH the night before. :P So I'll keep it then, and here I go a-registering... a registering.... no... this has no value WHATSOEVER as a song... anyway... Now (tnx!) Im registering for a few more lovely SAT 2s.

And yes, thanks a lot. You really reinforced what I had been kicking around in my head dubiously for quite a while. I'm going to submit a portfolio with my application, I think, cuz I'm kind of a local art celeb, and we'll see where that and the GS and the Portuguese takes me... :) Where there's a will, there just might be a way!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page