White Boy Applying to University

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: White Boy Applying to University
By Wheeleroppie5 (Wheeleroppie5) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 07:39 pm: Edit

Here are my stats:

White male senior
Grandfather attended Northwestern in 1940s

NUMBERS:

GPA - 3.9 UW, 5.8 W
Rank - 5/350

SAT I - 1320, retake around 1420
ACT - 29, retake around 32
PSAT - 201 index
SAT II - None taken yet
AP - Calc AB (4), Bio (5), Eng Lit (3), Spanish (3)

EXTRACURRICULAR:

Key Club (Member) - 50+ hours
Student Council (Member)
Spanish Club (Member)
Varsity Math Team
Church Youth Group
Peer Tutoring
Science Team (President)
Yearbook (Copy Editor)
Baseball/Cross Country (JV)
Intramural Basketball/Weighttraining
Washington University in St. Louis Summer Scholars Program (2003)
Work (Local Public Library 15+ hrs/wk)
Entering Biology Research into Intel Science Fair

AWARDS:

Academic Skills Challenge Regional Champions
AP Scholar with Honor
Student of the Month (Chemistry, History, Spanish, P.E.)
More to come...

INTENDED MAJOR(S):

Engineering (Biomed; Aerospace)
Pre-Law
Journalism/Communications
More to come...

COLLEGES:

Cornell, Wash U St. L, MIT, Northwestern, U of Penn, Ga Tech, Rice, Duke, Dartmouth, Stanford, Colombia, NYU, UW-Madison, UM-Ann Arbor, UC-Berkeley, Vanderbilt, Harvey Mudd, U of Miami

Want to keep my options open...

Thanks a lot.

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 08:05 pm: Edit

What state are you in?

By Wheeleroppie5 (Wheeleroppie5) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 08:06 pm: Edit

That doesn't matter, just evaluate my stats please.

By Andrew (Andrew) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 08:30 pm: Edit

5.8 W, wtf is that? What is AP a 6 or something? Anyway, I think you stand a pretty good chance at mos tof the schools except UPENN, Duke, Rice, Dartmouth, MIT, Stanford, Columbia, and Cornell. I mean seriously, could you pick one or two reach schools? Just kidding. But yeah with those everything is uncertain. I would apply to whichever one you like the best ED so that you have a better chance and show that you really want to go there because otherwise I think you're risking disappointment by applying to 5 Ivies and 2 pseudo-ivies. It's not pleasant to get that many rejection letters, as I am sure I will myself. I would settle on a few reach schools and really show them that you are interested and then you'll have a great chance of getting in. As it stands, you're an excellent candidate but I think you should prioritize your list, if that's what I mean to say... :) Anyway, I think all of the other schools are easy to get into for you and you have no problem and the reach schools aren't really reach, I mean you fit their profile for the most part, it's just everyone else applying there is going to have just as good or better stats. Again, just devote yourself to one or two reach schools and work on it. Best of luck.

P.S. - I'm sure you'll get in somewhere that you will be able to succeed at, even if it isn't MIT or whatever.

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 09:03 pm: Edit

State does matter.. youll get into all except Berkeley if you are out of state, MIT, Stanford. You have a good shot at NW and WUSTl, Cornell, Columbia but they are still reaches, the rest are safeties/matches

By Wheeleroppie5 (Wheeleroppie5) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 11:21 pm: Edit

I know I have to narrow it down to a few choices. I was just listing possible choices.

Thanks for all the input.

By Wheeleroppie5 (Wheeleroppie5) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 06:51 pm: Edit

Anyone else want to evaulate my chances at these schools?

By Wheeleroppie5 (Wheeleroppie5) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 07:51 pm: Edit

What do you all think?

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 10:40 pm: Edit

Not really enough info for a best guess. What are your SAT verbal/math breakdown (the 1420 is your highest combo right? ( you know colleges generally take the best math and the best verbal for your SAT) Also SAT2s are really important to the most selective schools. I don't know if you have legacy preference at NW--they usually don't count grandparents. Also what are you taking senior year? More APs? Is your highschool super competitive, and your state does matter because there is strong preference for in staters for Georgia Tech, U of Mich and Berkeley.
I would put Berkely,MIT, Stanford and Columbia, Duke, Harvey Mudd as stretch schools and if you have a favorite you might want to apply early to take advantage of the more generous acceptances for EDs. UPenn (if you apply early), Cornell, U of Mich,,Northwestern, Rice are all slight reaches and the rest are matches. So you need a safety., though I guess U of Miami would be sort of one and I am guessing that one of the state schools is your state school. You have a pretty good list which you might want to pare so that you can keep tabs on all of those schools. Since you really don't know what you want to do, the Tech schools might be a little restrictive. And Columbia and UPenn are very difficult to get into unless you apply ED--they really fill up a lot of their class early to a point that it's almost not worth trying regular unless you have a hook. My guess for you with the info I have would be Stanford,UC Berkely,Duke, Upenn, Columbia ( one of them early would drop UPenn or Columbia if not early, both if not early on on either). NW, Rice, Cornell Michigan as reach/matches, I would go with the matches and UMiami as a safety.

By Wheeleroppie5 (Wheeleroppie5) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 09:17 pm: Edit

corrections:

SAT - 1530
ACT - 35

PSAT - 220 index

lol - this should change things perhaps

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page