Please Evaluate My Chances!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Please Evaluate My Chances!
By Mz_Sterious_510 (Mz_Sterious_510) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 12:50 pm: Edit

I am a homeschooler who combined community college, home study, and correspondence school work to create an interesting eclectic curriculum.
I am trying to apply a year early though, as if I skipped 9th grade.

College GPA (for 50.5 semester units): 3.82
Trent School (correspondence school for only 10th grade): 4.0
Home study (mostly elective type classes, ie, dance, PE, cooking, home ec, but also one English class) : 4.0

SAT I
Last: 1330
~Oct 11: At least 1500

SAT II
Chemistry: 550
Writing: 620
Literature: 620
Biology:500
World History: 580
~Nov Math IIC: at least 650

ECs:
1 year Chabot College student Government (senator);
70+ hour volunteering at the local library;
1 semester Students for a Cause (Chabot College on-campus club); Chabot College Student Ambassadors

Work experience:
6 months executive asst. at Yozhyk Inc.
1 year executive asst. at Barbalat Enterprises

By Mz_Sterious_510 (Mz_Sterious_510) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 12:58 pm: Edit

The schools I am looking at are Stanford, Harvard, Yale, MIT, Rice, Berkeley, Northwestern, and UPenn.

By Pacman (Pacman) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 01:03 pm: Edit

Harvard: Reject
Stanford: Reject
Yale: Reject
MIT: Reject
Rice: Accept
Berkeley: Maybe
Northwestern: Maybe
UPenn: Maybe

By Mz_Sterious_510 (Mz_Sterious_510) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 01:08 pm: Edit

Why do you think my chances are so gloomy?

By Chenfei (Chenfei) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 01:41 pm: Edit

Actually, your chances are 1-(5/6)^8=75% of getting in at least one of these schools.

Okay, I was just kidding. Bad joke.

I think your SAT IIs are too low. 650 on Math IIC won't get you anywhere. Get them above 700 and your chances will certainly improve a lot. Another problem is your shortage on ECs.

By Mz_Sterious_510 (Mz_Sterious_510) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 01:44 pm: Edit

Shortage on ECs? I spent my whole life trying to improve Chabot College and working. I am not sure what I am going to get on my Math IIC at all. I did wonderfully in my Pre-Cal class but I have absolutely no clue what I'll get on my SAT II. What do you think about applying early though, good or bad?

By Chemyst (Chemyst) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 01:57 pm: Edit

Your leadership position is very good. However, it's the scores which will hurt you. If you really want to get into any of those colleges you mentioned, raise your scores, especially on the SAT II. Which classes did you take at community college? Will you get good recs from your profs? And quite honestly, a 650 gets you nowhere on Math IIC. It's below the 50th percentile, if you can believe that. I'm much in the same boat as you, except with higher SAT II scores and SAT I scores. For a homeschooler who has even done college work (like you and me), the scores must be very high to get into Harvard. When you apply to Harvard, the people there are getting 800s on their Math IICs, along with all the other SAT II stuff. Berkeley is a maybe. I wouldn't count on it. Your GPA will probably get you somewhere good, but unless you improve your scores, that won't be very far. Why is this? It's because we've been homeschooled. For all that the admissions office knows, our parents or whoever taught us could have been kind enough (or stupid enough) to give us A's no matter how we did. Now I'm sure that's not the case with you, but how do you tell that to them? A good community college record and high SAT scores. Best of luck to you!
Chabot College? Do you live in the Bay Area? I go to West Valley College and De Anza. If you ever want to chat online sometime, let me know.
~Anna

By Mz_Sterious_510 (Mz_Sterious_510) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 01:57 pm: Edit

I dance too and I am planning to submit a fine arts submission for that. I have been dancing for nearly 7 years on and off. Also, at Chabot I was on the newspaper staff for one semester, as a photographer and writer (interpreted in my college GPA).

Also, within my home study I have classes in all of the following:

dance
cooking
home economics
intrapersonal skills
typing
Computer Application Systems
PE (I work out at the health club an hour a day plus I run for .5 hours 4-5 times a week and I stretch for an hour a week)
Literature

My Chabot classes include:
tech theater
theater
sociology
macro econ
inorganic chemistry
algebra II
trig
pre-cal
stats
psychology
journalism
english 1A
English 7
Political Science
history post-construct
speech
conversational italian
Step aerobics

Trent School:
Fine Arts
English
World History
Geometry
Biology

Future Chabot Classes:
Physics
Calculus
and at least 2 more
plus I am planning to work in the tutor center next semester

Also, I ran for student government president at Chabot (I was 15 running agianst a 20 year old) and I lost by only 1 vote.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 01:57 pm: Edit

Imo, your SAT II scores are devastingly low, to the point where they call into question the rigor of the curriculum you've studied and make a strong case for presuming inflated grades.

If you think you're in the running, you have absolutely *no* idea of the profiles of the students you're competing against. Even if you had a major hook such as recruited athlete/legacy/URM, I'd still think you were in serious trouble. I think you need to look at colleges a couple of large notches down the scale.

By Chemyst (Chemyst) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 02:00 pm: Edit

Try applying to UC Davis and UCSD as safeties. Maybe add UC Irvine and UC Riverside onto that list. I'm sorry....but these SAT II scores are just too low for any of those schools that you mentioned, unless you can show them something spectacular that you've done with your life. I'm an MIT wannabe....seems you are, too. But face it, it's difficult to get in there. Don't get your hopes up too soon. Try for something a little more reasonable and don't set yourself up for disappointment. I know how it feels to be told you can't get into these colleges. Good luck! And still do apply!!!!!
~Anna

By Chemyst (Chemyst) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 02:04 pm: Edit

I'm really sorry to break it to you......but those classes probably just won't cut it. You took Inorganic Chemistry at the college and got a 500 on your SAT II? :-O Sorry, but that's a little unbelievable. I know it's chemistry and all, but having taken a college class, you should be able to demonstrate more knowledge there. Look into other schools. You won't make it into any of the ones that you mentioned. Maybe Northwestern, maybe Berkeley. But I am leaning on the side that they will not let you in. Sorry. :-( I know this must be disappointing for you.
~Anna

By Mz_Sterious_510 (Mz_Sterious_510) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 02:04 pm: Edit

I haven't take the SAT IIC test yet but I suppose I will do well. Like I said I don't know yet. I have fantastic teacher recommendations and I have talked with admissions with several of the schools and they were significantly more encouraging than all of you. The lady at Berkeley that I talked to told me it would be easy for me to go to Berkeley as a freshman or to transfer to the college of letters and science (if I finished IGETC).

By Mz_Sterious_510 (Mz_Sterious_510) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 02:08 pm: Edit

I got a 500 in biology not chemistry and it wasn't very easy learning bio at home w/o an official teacher. Besides I am looking into business, so I am really aiming to make my SAT II math IIC stand out but I am not even sure what would be a good score on that test.

By Chemyst (Chemyst) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 02:12 pm: Edit

Do you have Yahoo IM? I could talk to you and give you some advice pertaining to applying to some of those colleges since I am almost in the same boat as yourself. My name is leitheoir07.
~Anna

By Mz_Sterious_510 (Mz_Sterious_510) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 02:15 pm: Edit

I don't use IM. I'd love to hear your advice though.

By Chemyst (Chemyst) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 02:29 pm: Edit

Okay.....I think you have a great chance of getting in IGETC. You have a 3.82 GPA which is quite impressive for someone of yours or my age. You have taken a lot of college classes, which is a big plus in most people's eyes. You have been on student government at a young age. That's pretty unique and that's a big deal. You're going to take college calculus and college physics, that's great! I know you've dedicated your life so far to enriching Chabot. Kool! Have you worked for any professors? In any labs? Demonstrated intense interest in science? What do you want to major in? I'm taking it you want to major in some sort of science if MIT is on your list. Just for you to have, here are some of my stats. Most people say I can get into Berkeley, for sure. I am a homeschooler myself:
SAT I: 1340 (640 M, 700V) retaking, SAT II Chem 750, SAT II French 800, SAT II Writing 620 retake, SAT II Math IIC 650 retake KEEP IN MIND that my test scores were predicted to be much higher than they are here. Don't fall into the trap of believing the scores PR gives out.
WHITE/LATINO/HISPANIC FEMALE
College GPA: 3.99
Homeschool GPA: 4.00
Weighted GPA: ~ 4.75-5.00
Senior schedule:
Multivariable Calculus
Linear Algebra
Differential Equations
Organic Chemistry
Psychology 1A
hopefully Physics if that department cooperates

I have ~70 units from my colllege and I am a chemistry major (duh). I have my name on a French book at the college bookstore and I have worked as an Instructional assistant for my chemistry professor who is department chair. I have won several awards in French and speech and debate at the national level.

I honestly do not mean to brag. I just want to bring you into the reality of what you're up against. My stats are quite mediocre compared to some. You can still make it, though.

But when it comes to getting in, say Fall 2004, with the SAT scores that you have, that is what is making it so difficult for you. Retake the SAT II's that you took, or at least most of them, score higher, and I'd say that you're in. Get at least a 650 or so on each, and you're into Berkeley or Northwestern. Get 800's....maybe better schools?

Anyways, don't take my word on any of this. Still do apply to all the schools you mentioned. I'm no admissions whiz. I'm going through this all myself. I wish you the best of luck and don't give up! Homeschoolers have just as much right to all these good schools as any public schooler, in my opinion. We shouldn't be discriminated against for being schooled at home, but unfortunately we sometimes are. Your college classes should DEFINITELY help you, though. That is certainly your biggest draw.
Wishing you the best of luck,
~Anna

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 03:51 pm: Edit

I'd add one more thing to Anna's excellent advice. From reading your list of classes, your English classes seem weak - only three that I can see. Most of the schools on your list will be looking for 4 years of English from regular students. One suggestion would be to add another English course at the community college to boost yourself into that range. Good luck.

By Mz_Sterious_510 (Mz_Sterious_510) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 05:13 pm: Edit

I have 2 english classes at Chabot. I am currently taking an English class right now at home and I took and english class through a correspondence school.

Also, I am planning to retake the writing and biology Sat IIs, yet I am more focused on my SAT II for Math IIC since I am going to major in business/econ.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 05:46 pm: Edit

with what you have right now, you are not getting in into your schools. you miight stand a shot at berkeley, but you are so not getting into wharton with your sat 2s. Oh wait berkeley gives more weight to sat 2s. You will not get into those schools with those scores.

By Sailorgirl1985 (Sailorgirl1985) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 07:22 pm: Edit

I agree with what's already been posted. You're applying to the hardest schools to get into, all of the other applicants will have at least 650-700+ on ALL of their SAT's and SAT 2's. If you get your SAT up to 1500 then it's okay but your SAT 2's are still AGES TOO low. Although the circumstances surrounding why you got these scores may be explainable in your mind the colleges WON'T care. They look at the numbers they see those as facts, you're ability level/knowledge level in the different subject areas. If you want to spend the money apply to some of the schools you listed such as Berkeley, but definitely include several matches and safeties, perhaps some of the easier UC's and other schools.

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 09:07 pm: Edit

Your test scores are way too low and you take too many elective "classes".

By Mz_Sterious_510 (Mz_Sterious_510) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 10:56 pm: Edit

Well, my core curriculum would be as follows:

6 math classes
3 science classes
4 (or 5) English classes
3 S.S. classes (depending on how you count)
Intensive foreign language instruction (Russian)

I am going to business plus I want a minor in either pyschology, communinications, or international relations, hence the 6 math classes and many of the electives.

By Pimpdaddy (Pimpdaddy) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 11:08 pm: Edit

some people seem to be stressing the math iic test. I always felt that the iic was like a throwaway 800 (or similar high grade) that people take to make their score reports prettier. On my test, 800 was 91st percentile, so i doubt that that would make any difference for the schools ure looking at. In my opinion, math sat iis are the least respected and useful of any of the sat iis.

By Mz_Sterious_510 (Mz_Sterious_510) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 11:41 pm: Edit

I wouldn't know I haven't taken it yet.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 12:10 am: Edit

I have worked with homeschooled kids and watched them apply to colleges. If they had really high SATs and AP test scores and an interesting portfolio, they seemed to get into schools more easily that kids who had to compete within their schools. But without the super high test scores, I do not know a single one who got into a highly selective college with the exception of celebrities and those who placed exceptionally well on the national scale in something. (like olympics, music competitions, famous science competitions, getting a role on a tv series or Broadway show)
Grades from community college courses did not seem to impress the schools.
I suggest you talk to someone at Trentand ask for some names of successful graduates of their program. Find someone with scores like your and see where they ended up. They should be delighted to give you that information. Also ask for transfer information--hard statistics on where Chabot transfers end up with your statistic. The counseling office should have that data at their fingertips. They may have a deal with Berkeley.
One danger I found with kids who took too many community college course is that they are sometimes considered transfer students and the accept numbers for transfers is generally very low. Now if your comm college as an arrangement with a UC, well, that is a different story. Other wise you are just another transfer student.
I don't know if there is a bias against homeschooled kids. Though the test scores are used more heavily, I think that is a necessity because it is just too difficult for figure out what someone's grade would have been. Schools are saying that they like and encourage homeschoolers. It's just that without a highschool class, it is difficult to place you into a peer group.
Good luck.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page