LAST POST OF MY LIFETIME - please respond

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: LAST POST OF MY LIFETIME - please respond
By Seniornow2 (Seniornow2) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 09:56 pm: Edit

hey, i really want to get into the schools of engineering at cooper union. Cooper union is gonna be my top choice and ill apply ED. be truthful, if i can't get in tell me, and tell me what i need to work on and what percentage do i have of getting in. here are my stats.

asian male
4.1 gpa
1340 sat 720 math 620 verbal
sat IIs:720 math IC 690 Physics
ECs: engineering club, cultural club, chess club, NHS, NYS science HS, helped out at city rec center. held office positions in several clubs. active in religious activities
Work: held jobs during summer vactions for the past couple of years.
APs: gonna take 4 aps this year including physics, and calc BC
do i have any chance at Cooper Union? if not tell me were i can get into. Thanx

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 11:48 pm: Edit

Cooper Union is a super stretch for everyone. Not a school you can count on getting in with any kind of statistics. And you barely make the mid 50% in test scores which is very important in engineering. You have to understand that about a third of the students are art majors, and their SATs are not as high or crucial to admittance; their portfolio is their important credential. So the SATs reported are correspondingly lower. Applying early (12/1 deadline) will double your chances of getting in and I understand that if you can convince them that you are committed to your field of study and are a good fit for the school, your chances are greatly enhanced.
By all means apply, if you like the school, but do look for other places. Make sure you put in an ap to your state school--engineering spots fill up fast at the state university, and that could give you a safety. Check out the name brand engineering schools and places like
Rochester Institue, Rensselaer, Stevens, Case Western. Get a nice spread on selectivity and chances for money if you need it.

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 12:39 pm: Edit

Are you retaking your SAT I and II? Try to get your scores over 750 in all areas. What's your unweighted GPA?

Don't get your heart set on Cooper Union. Have you considered to applying to the University of Delaware? They have a good engineering school. I hope you're applying to your state university too.

By Seniornow2 (Seniornow2) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 04:26 pm: Edit

thanks 4 ur input. i gonna retake my sat shooting for 750+ on math and prob around 620 on verbal again. Will that make a big difference? my rank is like 69/289, and my uw gpa is probably around 3.4-3.6. i am gonna apply to other colleges. could u give a percentage please on my chance at cooper and at the following colleges. suny bigminton, stevens, rpi, leigh, bucknell.
i have a question on the cooper app. what is on part II of the app. and when do u recieve them when u apply ED.
thanx.

By Seniornow2 (Seniornow2) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 04:52 pm: Edit

bump

By Ken285 (Ken285) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 02:03 pm: Edit

cooper ed...if i remember correctly, they sent my part II app to me once they processed my part I app.

the part ii consists of about 15 questions, which i answered in a paragraph each. i wouldn't worry about it too much. some questions pertain to why you want to pursue and education in engineering, extracuricular activities, etc. generic stuff

By Seniornow2 (Seniornow2) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 05:16 pm: Edit

hey ken285 thanks 4 responding. if u do remember could u list the question. and could u post ur stats. ive memorized the stats from books and stuff but i really would like to see a ordinary kids stats. thanx

By Seniornow2 (Seniornow2) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 10:16 pm: Edit

one more thing do u think i can get in? and what percentage of a chance do u think i have?

By Seniornow2 (Seniornow2) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 09:17 pm: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page