Stanford EA Rate-A-Profile

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Stanford EA Rate-A-Profile
By Recherche (Recherche) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 03:35 pm: Edit

Hello all, I thought I'd try my luck on these boards. I attend a public high school in Central NJ. I am white, Asian, and 1/16 Persian (is that URM?).

NUMBER STATS
4.2 W GPA, 3 out of 505.
SAT - 1450 (retaking in Oct.)
SAT II - 760 Writing, 790 US History, Lit, Math IIC (taking in Nov.)
AP - US History (5), Psych (5), Econ - Micro & Macro, Calc AB, English Lit, Euro History, Gov & Politics.
My school only offered 2 APs junior year so I am compensating this year. If all goes well, I'll be taking a course at a local cc second semester.

EXTRACURRICULAR
- A Place for Kids/PS 2 (summer 9, 10, 11) - government sponsored daycare for Chinese youth in NYC
- Amistad (10, 11, 12) - afterschool program for the children of Mexican immigrants
- Food Not Bombs (9, 10, 11, 12) - soup kitchen
- Pres. of Amnesty Int'l (10, 11, 12)
- Pres. Spanish Club (10, 11, 12)
- Sr. Rep Octagon Club (11, 12)
- Sec. Key Club (9)
- Spring Track & Field (9, 10, 11)
- I have a "continuing interest" in photography and I plan on submitting a few of my prints.

AWARDS, ETC.
- This past summer I attended a free and very selective summer program (39 kids in the state were chosen)
- CTY Law & Politics (summer before junior year)
- PC Future World Leaders '03 (I attended on a scholarship)
- Police Athletic League 1st Place Creative Writing
- District Reading Award
- National Honor Society
- I've been published in a small literary magazine (does this count for anything?)
- I just started working at a local coffee shop
- I'll have a letter of recommendation from a Princeton professor

I am really worried about my poor performance sophomore year. I moved from NYC to suburban NJ and it was very difficult for me to adjust (academically, especially). I plan to explain the inconsistency in one of my essays but I know Stanford likes "upward trajectories." I'm afraid because I just don't think there is any room for failure in the application process.

Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this entire thing.

P.S. Is "bump" an acronym for something?

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 10:36 pm: Edit

1/16th anything isnt URM

You probably won't get in.. You have as good a shot as anyone though who isn't a complete freak

bump means to "bump" something up to the top of the list

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 10:48 pm: Edit

bring up my post....

By Brianp (Brianp) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 01:26 am: Edit

Apply Regular. You're taking SAT II in November. What's the point of taking it if you're application will have already been evaluated by the time your scores get to them?

Just out of curiosity. How could you have a bad sophmore year and still be ranked third? And isn't Persian just a euphemism for being Middle Eastern? If so, don't even bother writing that down. They are not URMs.

You're probably pretty angry right now that you're finding out that $tanford does not really care that you've devoted your life to them. I'm going through the same thing. You seem to have as good a chance as anyone who's not URM, or 5th generation legacy

By Recherche (Recherche) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 08:08 pm: Edit

Cmaher - I've read on these boards that being 1/32 constitutes being of a certain ethnicity so I was just wondering if Persian even is a URM. I appreciate your honesty but You have as good a shot as anyone though who isn't a complete freak? Thanks, and good luck in the admissions process to you too.

Brianp - I figured I would apply early because I am really attached to the school (bad, I know). You're in the same situation - you really think it's more strategic to apply regular? I did have a bad sophomore year but I kicked a*s as a freshman (straight A+'s in all honors courses). Lucky me, Stanford doesn't even consider 9th grade in calculating GPA for their own purposes. You're right, it's kind of harsh but thanks for your help and good luck.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 09:32 pm: Edit

persian is NEVER a URM. persian is white, white is not minority. Admissions go by race, not by ethnicity.

By Nealp (Nealp) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 09:40 pm: Edit

shaddup. there is one race = man. otherwise we would have homo sapien sapien caucasians (genus species subspecies subsubspecies). if you are black you do not have a different race, you have a different ethnicity ie african american not homo sapien sapien black shaddup.

By Brianp (Brianp) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 01:57 am: Edit

Recherche- keep in mind that my opinion cannot be 100% honest because I am also applying early. But it seems to me that you'd have a better chance in the regular pool. Personally, since I'm only taking the SAT II in October, and not another test in November, it makes sense for me to apply early because I will not be trying to improve myself after November 1. If you got a high score on the SAT I Math, they're going to wonder why you have not taken IIC. But yes, I can understand the temptation to get this over with as soon as possible.

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 02:22 am: Edit

Nealp, there are subcategories of human beings.. these are called "races" or "breeds", they aren't new species, but they differ from each other in some significant ways.

black people are fundamentally different from white people in certain ways. watch the olympics, kenyans ALWAYS win the racing events because they have longer limbs (a trait of black people) PLUS they live in the mountains so they require larger lungs (creating a very beneficial effect when racing at sea level).

there is a reason why most NBA teams are almost all-black and most NFL teams too.. it is a biological thing, not a socioeconomic background drive/desire thing. life isn't neat and nice and life will exist independently of what we think is right and wrong and our system of morals.

By Recherche (Recherche) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 02:59 am: Edit

brianp - Just wondering, what did you write about for the essay concerning future academic goals/interests? My others are done but I'm completely lost on this one.

By Brianp (Brianp) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 03:38 am: Edit

Recherche- Either I'm completely lost or I don't have that question on my application. Anyone of the three short essays could be the one you're describing. Can you give me the number of the essay? 9,10,11,12,13 (if you're doing 13) Please don't tell me there are more essays that I don't know about.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 10:18 am: Edit

You do still have a shot at it. Write an essay explaining the trauma of the move. Depending on who reviews your file, you may get some sympathy.
Of greater concern is your missing SAT2 score. You need 3 of them and you won't have that by the time they review your file. A lot of time if you are missing something that they have on their checklist, you don't even get consideration unless there is a very good reason addressing it. I worked in an admissions office (I was bottom of the barrel clerical help there) and one of my jobs was the cull apps that did not have all the required items. The admissions officers did not even want to review any aps missing something that was on their list unless there was a reason attached or if the applicant was "tagged" as special consideration.
But if there was a reason explaining it, they would at least read the reason--the ap would at least make it to the readers. Does Stanford require 3 SAT2s? Just make sure that all of your issses are covered in your packet. I have heard that Stanford is more personal and compassionate than many schools with similar selectivity when it comes to the admissions process so you may well be able to address their issues.

By Nealp (Nealp) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 11:49 am: Edit

haha racial "discussions" on cc. well, i make it a point to jump on people when they say "race" instead of "ethnicity" because like you said the black people are black, long limbed etc but it is because of where they evolved, geographically. but if they were different enough from say, white people, both would be subsubspecies. so, they are infact very similar and should not be called "races". end discussion (at least on my part)

By Recherche (Recherche) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 12:36 pm: Edit

brianp - I should have been more specific. It's the "intellectual interests" one, #10.

jamimom - Stanford doesn't even require SAT IIs so I figured I would apply early with just the two I have and take a gamble as to whether they would arrive in time for the committee to review. I need them for my regular decision schools anyway. Is it wiser to just wait? On the SATII date in May, I had a 103 fever but I went to take the tests anyway, only to cancel them once I arrived home because I felt horrible. Do you think that's a valid excuse? I still have the receipt of score cancellation.

By Brianp (Brianp) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 02:31 pm: Edit

I'm writing about my experience volunteering on a Senate Campaign. I know it doesn't directly answer the question, because the question is in the present tense. My essay is in the past tense. But it's all I got. I only have one essay done out of the five.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page