SAT percentiles really HIGHER for regular applicants?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: SAT percentiles really HIGHER for regular applicants?
By AWM on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 07:45 pm: Edit

Just a random thought: When looking at a college's 25th-75th percentile of SAT scores, shouldn't it really be higher for the average aapplicant, because students with Legacy status, parents or family who donated money, and URM's get in with lower scores, thus lowering the 25th-75th percentile? How much higher would it be for a regular ol' white kid with no legacy status?

By AWM on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 09:52 pm: Edit

biz to the ump

By Emilyg9930 (Emilyg9930) on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 10:06 pm: Edit

dont know the answer but good question...
i dont understand the biz to the ump thing--why do u guys all say that!?

By AWM on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 10:21 pm: Edit

Once upon a time, the great Jay-Z once said "H to the Izzo, B to the Izzay". Ever since that day, it was been a favorite past time to break up regular words by saying "(the first letter) to the (rest of the word)". For example: "i'm gonna go eat some F to the ood and drink some S to the oda" Ya feel me? HOller back

By slacker on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 06:42 pm: Edit

No, because you must consider that a lot of morons apply to schools they know that they can't get into. Anyone can apply to a college. I am sure that the ivy's get a lot of students with SATs in the 1200s but do not accept them unless they are a super athlete.

By ballernuts on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 07:53 pm: Edit

No, but the stats are only for those admitted

By Dadster on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 07:45 pm: Edit

AWM, your base supposition is correct. For an average non-minority, non-legacy, non-athlete, non-EC-superstar, etc., the SAT distribution would be much higher. Thus, it's good to be in the top quartile statistically at ultra-selective colleges if you don't have some major hook.

By anonj on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 11:03 am: Edit

I'm with dadster. Anytime you take *any* specialized segment of the population like athletes, flutists, URMs, whatever, they will have lower SATs, because they're not being compared to the entire pool.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page