Chances at Georgetown, Barnard, etc.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Chances at Georgetown, Barnard, etc.
By Noshiksagoddess (Noshiksagoddess) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 03:27 am: Edit

I'm sorry to post again on here, but I've altered my list and remembered some ecs...

GPA: 4.3 in a solid curriculum. Plenty of college classes (community and cal state) but no APs because my school doesn't offer them. Ranked #1 in a class of 165.

SATs (1st time): 800 V, 600 M (taking again in Oct.)
SAT II:
Writing 800
Lit 760
World History 700

ECs:
--I have taught or co-taught voice, theater, french, and nutrition at 4 different elementary schools. I also helped design and teach several workshop in improv comedy and film comedy to high school students at a performing arts academy.
(8-12 grade, 1-10 hours a week, depending on the class.)

I was a founding member of a youth theater company (run by adults) and took part in over 25 shows, acting, co-directing, stage managing, and designing lights and costumes.
(4-12 grade, 5-10 hours a week)

I founded and still run a completely teen staffed theater company that produces contemporary plays and employs teenage designers, directors, technicians, and actors. As artistic director, I write grants, manage finances, choose the plays we perform, assemble creative teams, and find rehearsal and performance space. I'll also be participating as director and actor this season.
(12th grade, 20-40 hours a week)

I do and have done about 15 plays with over 7 local theater companies, including one that produces only original works.
(3-12th grade, 20-35 hours a week in season)

I was one of 90 teenagers out of 400 selected for California State Summer School for the Arts, a four-week audition-only theater program. I received a California Arts Scholar 2003 award for my participation in this program.
(80 hours for duration of program)

I directed, stage managed, organized, and performed in 8 concerts (revues) benefitting local organizations including Panned Parenthood and several school groups.
(8-12th grade, 10-15 hours a week while conceiving, rehearsing, and performing---about 10 weeks)

I'm part of the youth library council, a group of teenagers that advises the library on which books to buy for young adult section. We also devise strategies to gets kids and teenagers reading, and I shelve books and help out with programs designed to draw kids into the library. I was in two TV commercials promoting the library system, took part in a political campaign and commercial for a proposition that would have increased library funding. I also was interviewed for a video about the councils by a nationally recognized expert in young adult lit and publishing.
(9-12th grade, 1-5 hours a week)

I've written two columns about books that were published in newspapers and are now used in local college classes. I also had a column on local youth theater summer programs published.
(9-11th grade, 9-15 hours per column, including research)

Helped organize a group of singers to visit nursing homes and hospitals throughout the holiday season.
(9-11th grades, 5-10 hours a week in season)

Appeared in promotional television commercials advertising a sandcastle competition that benefits a non profit organization dedicated to youth empowerment.
(7-11th grades, each commerical took about 2 hours.)

OTHER STUFF:
Rural California student, white, middle class, female. No religious ties (very strong Jewish cultural background but no personal connection.) 1/8 Hispanic, 1/32 Cherokee (no tribal card or anything.) No personal connection to either race.

I plan to be a musical theater major (where possible) or theater major. With these stats, do I have a chance at:

Barnard
Boston College
Brown University
Carnegie-Mellon (auditioning for their Musical Theater program)
Georgetown
Harvard
NYU (auditioning for the musical theater program)
Northwestern
Sarah Lawrence
Swarthmore
UCLA (auditioning for the theater school)
Wesleyan

Thanks so much!!

By Noshiksagoddess (Noshiksagoddess) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 01:43 pm: Edit

bumpity bump

By Cheerios128 (Cheerios128) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 04:50 pm: Edit

good chances at all schools..but why georgetown? i thought their music program was terrible.

By Noshiksagoddess (Noshiksagoddess) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 02:12 pm: Edit

bump

By Mz_Sterious_510 (Mz_Sterious_510) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 02:27 pm: Edit

I think you have great chances. I'm sure you'll get in to Georgetown. Good luck.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page