Goucher and hopkins have a joint program?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Goucher and hopkins have a joint program?
By Bignick123 (Bignick123) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 08:55 pm: Edit

hey, what's the deal, they have a joint program with biomedical engineering. if i go to goucher will i get a full scholarship and a degree from goucher/hopkins

stats

SAT M 790
SAT V 720

GPA 3.9 unweighted 4.2 weighted
Sat 2's
Writing - 720, chemistry-750,math-780, Spanish-710

Class Rank top 5 out of 344

2 AP'S in junior year
5 AP'S to be taken in senior year

Learned Basic Chem. in the summer before my junior year, passed final and went straight to AP chem.

Ec's

1) Varsity Tennis Team (9-12)

2) Founder of Spelling Contest Club of America
- organized Spelling Bee for entering Freshman Classes

3) Woodbridge Township Ambulance and Rescue Squad
10-12, cadet, lieutenant of cadets in 10th, captain of cadets in 11th. EMT in 12th. 10hrs/week

4) Volunteer at local temple, 5 hrs a week.
Received community service award, and recipient of scholarship.

5)peer-leader/tuturer for math in high school

6) Chosen for Editor-in-Chief position of the school paper by teacher advisor based on the criteria for leadership, responsibility, dedication to club, ability to articulate and communicate effectively with peers, diligence and organization

7) Founder of "help the heart"
-Cpr trained some of the faculty, brought Red Cross CPR training to local schools.
- campaigned and fundraised money to buy a defibrillator and taught faculty how to use it.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 09:08 pm: Edit

I read over the information on their web site and it looks like an interesting program (I was surprised that Goucher had so many joint degree programs with Hopkins!). Of course, you'll be tacking on another year of school if you do it this way as the program requires spending 3 years at Goucher and 2 years at Hopkins. You might get a free ride at Goucher for the first 3 years but it says the last two years will be on Hopkins bill. With your stats you probably have a shot at Hopkins to begin with and might even get a comparable aid offer there - might it be better to do that and then use that "fifth" year for graduate school instead of ending up with two Bachelor's? Something to think about. Certainly, this is worth considering as a backup if you don't get into Hopkins or don't get enough aid from them. Let us know what you decide.

By Fee12345 (Fee12345) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 09:38 pm: Edit

http://www.goucher.edu/academics/Science_Engineering.html

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 09:41 pm: Edit

i don't think you'll neccesarily get a full scholarship. A 1510 is impressive, but goucher's honors students average over 1400.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 11:24 pm: Edit

Check it out carefully. I know a little about these programs and they are not easy to carry out. Often you can't just sign up for them--they all have requirements and gatekeeping. Also going back and forth between Goucher and JHU is no fun.

You can take classes between Columbia and Juilliard too but the actual mechanics is not easy. The same with the Pittsburgh consortium and the Smith-Amherst 5 college consortium. Or taking too many courses from Cornell's none state affiliated colleges when you've been accepted to a state funded one. I know people in all of these cases and the can all tell you that it is not that easy to do except on an occaisional basis because the school schedules are not set up to mesh though the permission is there.
There are many, many colleges that have joint engineering endeavors with more prestigious engineer schools. If you read entries in the College Board big book of school, you can see hundreds of them The question is how easy is it to actually carry it out. There is a thread on this message board that talks about this Goucher Hopkins deal and one person says he has a brother actually doing this. It's great if you can do it but don't think you'll breeze through the red tape.

By Fee12345 (Fee12345) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 06:29 am: Edit

1st the people who run this are very accomidating, if you write them a letter if you miss a dead line or something you can easily be right back on track with a letter

The commute is not a big deal its 15 minutes, the school has transportation or you can drive

Yes it is a very tough program, but you get an incredible education

and I am fairly sure you would get a full ride at goucher, I know they offer academic scholarships when you have over a 1280 or something like that, and the higher you get the more $ you get I think you would qualify for 100% for sure

MY bro has managed to do the program and play d-3 lax which is a huge time commitments and still have a ton of free time and fun so its easily doable

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 12:01 pm: Edit

Just checked Goucher's web site again. They offer 12 full tuition (doesn't include room/board) presidential scholarships to each incoming class. The scholarship isn't automatic - you must apply, be interviewed and compete. All of the other merit scholarships offered (and Goucher does seem to have an impressive number for a smaller school) are for less than full tuition.

By Fee12345 (Fee12345) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 05:08 pm: Edit

Carolyn I know for a fact that if you get over a cetain score on the SAT you can get basically full scholarship....

A quick search on their website brings up

"Beginning with students applying for admission with the freshman class entering in fall 2003, Goucher will offer new opportunities for merit-based scholarships. Designed to reward and encourage our brightest and most talented applicants-and make Goucher a very realistic choice for your education-these awards are based on your academic achievements and leadership in high school and your potential to succeed in Goucherís rigorous intellectual environment. They do not take into account financial need. Our merit-based scholarships range from $2,500 to $22,950 (full tuition)"

there is no limit on these...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page