Do I have a good chance at an ivy school?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Do I have a good chance at an ivy school?
By David on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 04:55 pm: Edit

Junior in HS
SAT - 1450 VERBAL 650 MATH 800
GPA 4.3 RANK 15/300 TOP 5%
AP: Currently taking AP Calculus BC, AP Physics, AP Chemistry, AP US History
AP Exams (previous years)
AP Calculus - 4
AP Computer Sci A - 4
AP Computer Sci AB - 3 (taking again this year, did something stupid last year, easy 5)
AP Language & Comp - 3
SAT 2: going to take now in jan and then agin is mar, so far took chemistry no score yet
I have 500+ hours community service, dealing with clinical and business aspects at a medical office
good teacher recommendations
part of math club, science club,junior statesmen of america, programming team (officer in science club) since 6th grade
part of ROTC, going to be corp commander next year currently one of the top in my school (leadership skills)

do you guys think i have a shot at the ivy leagues?

By david on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 04:59 pm: Edit

oh yea forgot to add i was on varsity swimming for a year

By david on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 05:13 pm: Edit

oh yea and I'm also part of national honor society and have abunch of awards like tandy scholar, etc... also my teacher rec are all good my teachers love me....

on the sat2's i'm predicting 800 math, 750-800 chemistry, and 750+ writing

By david on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 05:16 pm: Edit

and last thing i am doing research over the summer at several universities and I am currently working on my intel research

By david on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 05:48 pm: Edit

haha I know I sound dumb posting a 100 times but it won't let me edit and i'm doing this in a hurryw hile everyone wants to use the pc so please bear with me.

I forgot to add that I also skipped 2 grades and will be graduating HS right after i turn 16.

took psat don't have results yet but took a practice right before and got 227.

By david on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 11:39 pm: Edit

anyone, please??? btw I goto a school with a special interest program also known as magnet. Its one of the toughest in my area, and one of the only nationwide to offere differential equations, radiation physics, and some other advanced courses...which i happen to be all taking this year

By MTchick on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 12:12 am: Edit

You went to INTEl last year in Kentucky?

By david on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 12:57 am: Edit

no you know the intel research thing where you apply for possible scholarship. check it out on intel's website. Its called by another name but I can't remember it at the moment.

By MTchick on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 12:59 am: Edit

INTEL talent search is over. that's all i can think of

By david on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 01:48 am: Edit

yea intel talent search..I'm strating a year early...I'm going to submit my project beginning of next year

anyways, back to the original topic....do you think i have a chance at the ivies?

By david on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 06:31 pm: Edit

can someone please tell me....

do i have a chance at rice, ut austin honors and/or any ivy school?

By david on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 07:59 pm: Edit

Bump this again. Please respond, I would appreciate it.

also next year i will take 6 more ap's so i should have around 14 when i graduate. also, by this semester my rank will be about 10ish cause i made straight 97+'s and noone else has really. also i recounted my hours of community service i actually have around 700

By yep on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 08:38 pm: Edit

yea rice will take you if you have good recc's/essay.
friend of mine only took 6 AP's, 2 college courses, 1520 SAT score, 2270 SAT II avg, above avg. EC's

but superb essay/interview, awesome recc's. this guy was like a legend at our school.

he also won the flinn scholarship from our state >$45,000 scholarship

so what happened?
Stanford: accepted
MIT: rejected
Harvard: accepted
Rice: accepted + $40,000 stipend
Columbia: rejected (who gets in?)
UC-Berkeley: rejected (again, who gets in)

Just goes for show: don't need 10+ AP's to excell.
he did fine with 6, but doing excellently on each subject, as reflected from his superb reccomondations. teachers loved him, he won every award at our school, and practically every scholarship.

in short, just remember this: it's mostly about quality, not quantity.

By david on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 08:59 pm: Edit

good to hear about that, dont mean to be a nag but from the stats presented do you think i have a chance at:

UT Austin Honors
RIce
Harvard
MIT
Yale
Stanford
U Penn
Princeton
Duke
John Hopkins
also i have a bunch of •••••••• awards like who's who and americas outstanding students or crap like that, that i didn't add to my list

By yep on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 12:22 am: Edit

good. don't add awards you think are "crap".. who's who and nat'l honor roll are both scams to spam you and your relatives with commercial $hit, if colleges see you're desperate enough to put that on your resume, that would suck. so don't.
also, just highlight what best represents you.
they'd MUCH rather see a strong focus or two than a jack of all trades, if you will.
if everything you have mentioned is true, i can't think of any college that won't take you based on your merit alone.
however, expect a lot of rejects from the upper ivy leagues because they know there are "overlaps" in applications. for example, UPenn may reject you for no good reason at all... because they know that with stats like yours, you must also be applying to harvard/stanford/yale. But I say you'll get into the top ivies if you keep everything up, DO NOT SLACK OFF SENIOR YEAR. HUGE MISTAKE!
and don't clutter your resume/EC's. they don't like that AT ALL.
and a crappy essay CAN hurt you, despite what some people say.
oh, also try to up your SAT I verbal score a bit, at least break 700 and you'll have a shoe-in.
Well, good luck. And if you don't get into any of those on your list, remember you always have UT Austin Honors. A great program. I'm sure they'll accept you with full scholarships + stipends.
And if you haven't already, check out the post in the same "What are my chances" section titled "Perspective: From Start to Finish"
I found it to be very helpful.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page