NYU?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: NYU?
By Benspinspace (Benspinspace) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 05:31 pm: Edit

Hi,

I'm a mediocre student with fantastic extracurriculars in art and theater and computers and music. This explains my poor grades, without justifying them.

My GPA is 2.9 unweighted, and 4.3 weighted. However we do a 6 point scale instead of a 5 point scale for our weighted grades. Thus I believe my weighted GPA would be around 3.7 or so weighted by normal 5-point-scale standards (I'm guessing). My SAT was 1350. I take mostly honors/AP with a touch of non-honors classes, and basically I get Bs in honors classes.

However, why does "Counselor-O-Matic" on the Princeton Review website rate NYU as a Match school for me? I thought that it would be a Reach or basically an "Unreachable." Does NYU not have as excruciatingly high academic standards as I had thought, or is it that they give special weight to students that involve themselves in my types of extracurriculars?

I qualify for Minority status, I've had all sorts of jobs, many leadership roles, gone to "enrichment" programs, yadda yadda yadda.

However, you should consider: it ranked "NYU" as a match for me even when I experimented with my results and made my GPA even lower, my SAT even lower, and marked myself as "white." Even with all three of those, it said that NYU was a match. Why?

Also, would someone of my stats be able to get into Brandeis, McGill, BU, UMichigan, or even (super reach) Chicago?

Thank you.

By Xtech (Xtech) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 05:48 pm: Edit

Why are you getting so worked up over some automated program? It's simply meant to help you, it's by no means an exact science. You're right that NYU is definetly a reach. Even with great SAT's, hell even if you had a 1500+, and good EC's a 2.9 GPA will almost definetly get simply thrown out unless you have something totally unique that no one else could bring to the school but you. Sorry to burst your bubble but most of the schools you're asking about are just simply out of reach for someone with your GPA. I don't know about Brandeis and McGill but you're not getting into any of the others.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 07:04 pm: Edit

no that's not true. The nyu average gpa is a 3.5(maybe 3.6). A 2.9 is low but it by no means makes you illegible for the school.
Don't forget that he's a minority which helps a LOT.
I think that if you apply ED, your chances of getting in aren't that bad, your sat is average, but if you raised it a bit, you'd stand a great chance

By Nyugrad (Nyugrad) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 07:18 pm: Edit

I'm not an admissions officer, but the stats seem very reasonable for the school of education, health,arts, and nursing professions, and a bit of a reach but certainly not impossible for the school of arts and sciences. Write a good essay, get good recs, and talk to guidance at your school for other suggestions on applying to NYU. Good luck!

By Ksolo (Ksolo) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 11:53 pm: Edit

Fortunately, you did well on the SATs, which may help them to overlook your GPA a little. The GPA doesn't help your cause though. Unless, you come from an inner-city based high school, or being from a family that has a low-income.

If you are interested in the arts, you should try applying to Tisch maybe. Plus, that school looks at artistic talent much more than academic merit.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 12:07 am: Edit

Ksolo is right. Tisch may be the way to go for you. NYU like a few other schools has meaningless averages for the entire university because it is made up of widely varying schools. To get into Tisch, a portfolio or audition counts heavily. To Stern or Arts and Sciences, they will look carefully at your grades, and you would be borderline. I understand that even Tisch has to meet certain NYU standards, and I believe a 3.0 is pretty much the bottom line. On the other hand, your highschool and minority standing can mitigate that somewhat. What are you planning to study? If it is art, get those slides together. TIsch, CMU, Coopers Union, all of those are in the picture if you have a great portfolio.

By Benspinspace (Benspinspace) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 12:27 am: Edit

Well let me give you some extra-curriculars that might be relevent.

I've done theater for countless years, including many lead roles. I'm the vice president of the program.

I've played piano for 10 years.

I've played guitar for 12 years.

I'm in my school's Honors Choir. I'm the Section Leader of the Bass section, and I also arrange music and conduct sometimes for the choir.

I took singing lessons for many years.

I founded a jazz combo, and I conduct/rehearse the ensemble, as well as fill in gaps on guitar, piano, or bass guitar when needed.

I'm in the Marching/Concert Band at school. I'm the Drum Major.

I've been on my school's Math Team for years, and have gotten "Perfect Score" awards at a state meet.

I've played the Harmonica, Banjo, and Bass Guitar for years, and am decent at all three.

I have done tons of computer game programming/development, as well as website programming/development for many, many years.

I've been drawing since I was a few years old. I do lots of cartooning, especially. I have an online cartoon strip.

I repair computers for a job (I also work at an apple farm). I do websites/games on commission and for fun, though... I am sort of a freelance computer guru. My video games have gotten hundreds of thousands of downloads, worldwide... if download.com can count right. I took down my most popular game though, which in retrospect was a bad idea... it had a massive number of downloads, and good reviews.

I teach guitar lessons.

I have been composing my own music for voice/guitar/piano/etc. for many years now. I have written many songs, which attracted attention from a song producer in the area. I didn't want to sell my songs at that point, so I never took her up on her offer.

If I get into NYU or any of my other schools, in all likelihood I will be a music major. However, There are many other things I am interested in. I'm sure I could always go to RPI for computers, or another decent school for psychology, or perhaps criminal law or another interesting field. But the odds are that I will end up in music, so... I'm assuming in that case I would try for Tisch. However, this confuses me... are there separate schools for 1. The College of Arts & Sciences and 2. The Tisch school of Arts? Or is Tisch just a subdivision of the Arts & Sciences?

Also, which one is better in that case, for an arts major, or someone with diverse interests?

I can only hope that you think that my ECs are fitting enough for me to have a boosted chance at admission.

One last thing: From what you're all saying, I'm assuming that I should send a portfolio. What sort of stuff would I include in a portfolio? A single area of artistic talent (such as a music CD), or would I want to include anything that I think would impress them, including cartoons, realistic art, musical scores I've written, maybe a few photos of me conducting the school band and in the choir and playing instruments and such?

Thanks,
-Ben

By Greenmoo04 (Greenmoo04) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 12:54 am: Edit

Isn't it true that NYU does not weigh grades? (in terms of honors/AP) That was what the outreach counselor told me at a college fair. And what grades do they count? Academic courses? Or EVERY single class, including PE or something?

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 10:13 am: Edit

You sound like a strong contender for Tisch. You have to bring all those ECs to the table. NYU is comprised of 7 colleges and you must pick one on your application. You should browse through their website, look at their viewbooks, and visit and talk to them to pick which college best suits your needs. Because it is such a huge school a lot of departments give more of a numbers look-see procedure to their applicants--they get over 30,000 applications per year. So unless you apply to a department where you can have a portfolio assessed, or have an audition, you can be overlooked in the EC area and that is one of your strengths. If you are an URM, that would be a slightly different story. But still keep in mind what 30,000 applications look like in the time they have to review them.
I suggest CMU as companion application. They too have 7 schools, but you are permitted to multi apply to them and because they are much smaller they can give your paperwork a more personal consideration. They have a school of fine arts and computer programs that are as good as any, some say the best.
By all means apply to Chicago,Michigan,Brandeis, NYU, McGill, BU and focus on a portfolio in slide format. Call NYU for info on that--Tisch, I think. And include it with you aps. I think I would add CMU and Coopers Union to the list--might as well get some mileage out of those slides
and then look for a good solid safety both in financial and selectivity areas. Your state schools are usually a good bet for that and the application is usually short--hurry though because rolling admissions means you can get shut out if you are later in the season. Good luck.

By Benspinspace (Benspinspace) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 04:56 pm: Edit

bump

By Eileen (Eileen) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 01:05 am: Edit

Check the General Studies Program too at NYU in the School of Continuing and Professional Studies.

Signed,

An NYU Professor

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page