I have decided to apply to...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: I have decided to apply to...
By Papalemming (Papalemming) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 03:04 pm: Edit

MIT
Caltech
Stanford
Harvard
Princeton

Of those, my need for financial aid kills my chances at Caltech and Stanford. I won't get in at Harvard or Princeton, leaving MIT the only, though difficult, place where I could get in.

Why I apply to them, you may ask? Because I'd rather get rejected by them than to reject myself automatically by not applying.

Yale offers need-blind finaid for int'ls. How good is their chemistry (and science, in general) undergraduate program?

I'd like to apply to Berkeley but sadly that's a no-no.

Well, for those of you that don't remember me here are my stats:

Sex: Male
Hometown: Caracas, Venezuela
Studying: Just started senior year (11th grade) mention Science (our system is somewhat like the French system).
Would like to major in: Chemistry or Chemical Engineering (the former is my first option, though).

Education
- Average: 19 out of 20, which usually solid grades in science subjects.
- Subjects: Over here we have a fixed curriculum and that somewhat sucks. But I've seen math all years (including algebra, trigonometry, precalculus, etc.), I have also seen physics, chemistry, biology, world history, literature, spanish, english, geography, etc. My school isn't bilingual, though.

SATs and tests:
- SAT I: 1380 (will retake it)
Math: 770
Verbal: 610

- SAT II:
Writing: 640
Chemistry: 800

- I'll take the TOEFL, too.

Extra-curriculars:
- Bronze medallist, 35th International Chemistry Olympiad (Athens, Greece; July 2003)
- Gold medallist, 20th Venezuelan Chemistry Olympiad (July 2002). The competition is aimed for 10th grade students but I participated while being in 9th grade.
- Silver medallist, 27th Venezuelan Mathematical Olympiad (July 2002)
- Will participate in the 8th Iberoamerican Chemistry Olympiad (Mexico, October 2003)
- Gold medallist in my school's internal physics olympiad. Not very big, but mentioning it won't hurt me.
- Participated in the "training classes" for international math and physics olympiads. And chemistry, of course.
- If the economic issues allow it and everything goes along as expected *knocks on wood*, hopefully I will participate next year in the 36th International Chemistry Olympiad which will be held in Kiel, Germany on July.
- Participated in the South American Model United Nations (which is totally English-based) in November 2000 and November 2001, both as a General Assembly delegate. Will participate again this November.
- 70 hours of volunteer work.
- Probably I'll do some research starting on October.

By Papalemming (Papalemming) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 03:05 pm: Edit

So well, what do you think of my list?

I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks in advance for helping.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 03:09 pm: Edit

I think that MIT is the hardest school to get into now. I don't understand how you can say that you stand no chance at princeton or harvard but might get into mit. The USNews Rankings really don't mean anything. I mean seriously your list is composed of all the top 6 USNews, except yale, which you are also considering. That's just wrong man.

By Papalemming (Papalemming) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 03:21 pm: Edit

Well, I am aiming high because if I don't get in any I'll just stay here (in a pretty good university, by the way).

There's no point for me to leave my country to get a relatively lousy, expensive education in Unknown State University when I could stay here, in a good university which has good reputation in US grad schools.

I'd only leave if I got accepted on any of the top schools, where sure the economical and emotional sacrifice is worth it.

In the end, if I got rejected by all of them (as it is most likely to happen) I would have lost about 150 dollars, but I would know that I least I tried and that it was not up to me getting rejected.

I'd like to apply to other, probably less selective universities, but, rather ironically, they are economically unviable for me.

On why I said the Harvard/Princeton/MIT thing, I said it because, judging from the lot of posts I've read here, I seem more more like a student MIT would accept than Harvard or Princeton.

None of those universities I put on the list to are supposed to be my 'safety'.

By Chenfei (Chenfei) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 03:51 pm: Edit

Papalemming, your ECs are very impressing but are lacking a bit of diversity. Getting into the IChO is not a piece of cake to my mind, so you really should stick to it as your major achievement.

I understand your way of thinking, since I am applying as an international student as well. The competition is terrific, so there might be just a spark of hope for every international applicant. Keep in mind that you belong to the top students of your nation, and a admission decision won't change this fact. One can always apply as a transfer student later. :)

By Papalemming (Papalemming) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 07:04 pm: Edit

Thanks, Chenfei. :)

If I don't get admitted in any... well... I'll do my undergrad here and then leave. In what I want to do (scientific research) grad school is more important than undergrad.

*bumps*

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page