Dreaming of NYU

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Dreaming of NYU
By Dreamingofnyu (Dreamingofnyu) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 12:08 am: Edit

ok, i'll just spit out my info like a machine, but first i'd like to say...i know right now my chances at NYU, one of my dream schools, are veerrry slim to none...but i just wanted some feedback on people who are experienced w/ this college business.

Also, i live about 10 min. away from Franklin and Marshall College, which is a very, very nice school...almost ivy-leage level education...so, that's also an option for me. I'm even hoping that i will first go there, and 'taste' what college is like w/o totally jumping in the entire way and then going to NYU for my bachelors or whatever...newais, here are my stats:

GRADE: 11

SCHOOL: Hempfield High School (One of the best in central PA...if that says anything...)

ETHNICITY: Korean (even though i'm a 'minority', if you think about it, there are A LOT of asian students applying to veerrrryyy competitive schools...so this doesn't really give me much of an edge...)

GPA: 3.5 (not quite NYU material...)

PSATs: 1200 taken in the 1st quarter as a SOPHOMORE, so it doesn't count (yea...i know it's a little low...)

CLASS RANK: 88/549 (that's of the end of soph. year...and it's like the top 16%...i'm working on getting into the top 10%)

MAJORS:
I want to major in veterinary medicine, or something 'medical (humans)'...or, on the way other side of the spectrum, art.

COURSES:
SCIENCES:
Honors General Science
Honors Biology
Honors Chemistry

SOC. STUDIES:
College Prep. Soc. Studies (i forget the exact name of the course...)
Honors American Cultures
Honors World Cultures

MATH (not really good in this area >_<):
College Prep. Algebra 1.5 (the 1.5 is a system that my school made...it's tougher and weighed heavier than regular college prep courses, but not as heavy as honors)
College Prep. Algebra 2.5
College Prep. Geometry (i took 2 math courses in 2 semesters my soph. year)
College Prep. Advanced Math aka Trig

LANGUAGE:
French 1 (not really a weighed course until you get to French 3)
French 2
French 3 Honors
French 4 Honors

ENGLISH:
Honors English 09
Honors English 10
Honors English 11

OTHER:
Fundamentals of Design (a prerequisite for art classes)
Drawing I/II (1st/2nd Semester this year)
Applications of Technology (Required*)
Health*
Gym 09*, 10*
Orchestra 5th-11th grade (i'll be getting a varsity letter+ this year)
Science Research (a class for science fair...it would make the entire process easier since it's required for honors science courses anyway...)

EXTRACURRICULAR (not much):
Girls Tennis 11
Possibly County Orchestra
Whispering Minds Magazine Club (school publication of art and poetry) 10
Math Study Club 9
AP Art 11
Steering Committee 11
Volunteering (only about 48 hours over the summer..at animal hospital- interested in veterinary medicine)
Job - Animal Hospital 6-10 hours/week (the place i volunteered at decided to hire me at the end of the summer)

"WHY I'M SPECIAL"
well, the only thing really going for me in this area is ART...a bit of music...but mostly ART...

sorry this was so long...and thanks if u made it down this far...but really, what are my chances? i'm currently working my BUTT off right now...and i have straight A's...(even though it's only at the halfway point of the 1st quarter...)

any feedback would be appriciated...

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 01:39 am: Edit

Does your school offer AP classes?

If so, people would see you as not really taking advantage of your easily given opportunities. You said you go to a very good high school...

The Math and Science courses do not impress me at ALL. Doctors/Vets are basically trained scientists who care for people. Art isn't going to help much here.

If you get 1400+ on the SAT 1's and 700+ on 3 SAT 2's and that GPA is UNWEIGHTED, you have a decent shot.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 01:47 am: Edit

Everytime that I look in the mirror
All these lines on my face getting clearer
The past is gone
It went by like dust to dawn
Isn't that the way
Everybody's got their dues in life to pay

I know nobody knows
Where it comes and where it goes
I know it's everybody's sin
You got to lose to know how to win
Half my life's in books written pages
Lived and learned from fools and from sages
You know it's true
All these things come back to you
All the things you do, come back to you***

Sing with me, sing for the years
Sing for the laughter 'n sing for the tears
Sing with me, if it's just for today
Maybe tomorrow the good lord will take you away

Dream on, dream on, dream on
Dream yourself a dream come true
Dream until your dream comes true

Sing with me, sing for the years
Sing for the laughter 'n sing for the tears
Sing with me, if it's just for today
Maybe tomorrow the good lord will take you away

raise your rank, sat score to a 1300 at least. Otherwise this zeppelin song is directed towards you.
But seriously this is one awesome song.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page