I think i am dead...what do u think

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: I think i am dead...what do u think
By Arora00 (Arora00) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 10:11 pm: Edit

Im screwed guys.
Ive been thinking lately, and i have no clue as to what im gonna major in, what college im going to go to, and what on earth am i gonna do about financial aid and stuff.
AND im a senior.

College Park, Gettysburg, and Washington in St.Louis, are some colleges that i think i would like to go to.
I wanna do something in business such as accounting(but ive heard theres no money in this field). I am also considering Pre-Med or sumthing in bio-chemistry, but i have no clue if i could take the pressure, or worse yet would i be at all interested. Also considering law, im kinda interested in the law stuff(cases etc.) but my articulation sucks, but i can def improve that, and i will.

Please help me.

*I have a 1200 on my SAT's, and ill be taking them again in Nov.
*My courses are AP Chem(5), Ap World(3), AP Lang(3) -- last year, and AP Bio, AP Lit, and AP Calc B/C this year. Hopefully ill score better this year.
*GPA: 3.65(unweighted), 4.23(weighted)
*EC: Cricket(3yrs), International Club(2), Model UN(1), Delegate(1), NHS (i know its not a lot, but i dunno..i guess i shouldve done some more sports but its so much more fun playing street sports)

Please tell me what colleges i should do. And if buisness(accounting, finance) is good field, money wise and stuff. And the requirements for being good in this field. I really dont know.
I am also considering law.

By Giants (Giants) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 11:12 pm: Edit

I don't know about all of them, but you won't get into Washington U.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 09:25 pm: Edit

Gettysburg and UMD College Park are possibilities (especially if you're a Maryland resident). Washington U is out of reach. Find some more realistic reaches, matches, and safeties.

How about: Lehigh, Albright, Muhlenberg, Bucknell - all in PA, Trinity U (Texas), Washington and Jefferson College (PA), Fordham (NY), Manhattanville (NY), Loyola (MD), Tulane (LA), U of Richmond (VA), Trinity Univ (Texas), Villanova, Randolph-Macon College (VA), Presbyterian College (SC), Elon University (NC)? Go to your guidance office or library and get a copy of the Fiske Guide and read up on these schools - or just visit their web sites and order their materials.

Don't worry if you don't know what you want to major in yet - most people change majors at least once anyhow. The above schools all have business programs and are strong in the liberal arts as well so you can try a few different things before you have to committ to a major. If money is a concern, Elon in NC is a bargain and Trinity U in Texas is well-endowed so provides decent financial aid - however, if you have need, it's likely that you'll get a financial aid package from any of these schools.

If possible, try to visit a few schools to get a better idea of what you like and don't like. Good luck.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 09:38 pm: Edit

yeah seriously you are so not getting into wustl.
so to answer your question: yes you are dead.

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 07:46 am: Edit

i wonder why Rubenizm is always so pessimistic?

By Chenfei (Chenfei) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 08:49 am: Edit

'cause he has a realistic way of approaching a problem. :)

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 08:52 am: Edit

Carolyn has some great advice for you. Also start looking at your state schools. If you are in Maryland, College Park can be pretty tough to get into so you should get your application in as soon as possible. You see, many large state schools really just plug 3 numbers into their computer for their decision--class rank, SAT, and date of application. With rolling admissions it is not smart to sit on your state apps. They are usually pretty short and quick to fill out so and relatively inexpensive, so get cracking on that It would be foolish to lose that option. In MD, you have in addition to College Park some state schools like Salisbury State, U of MD Baltimore County, St Marys, , Towson (pretty good for business, I hear), Frostburg State. Then start perusing the private colleges as Carolyn mentioned and try for financial aid. Most states have some form that allows you to apply to a number of state schools on one app and that might be something you want to check out.
Don't be so worried about not knowing what you want to study. The first year usually is filled with core requirements and you'll have a chance to check out several majors. Most kids change their major several times. My two oldest who are now in medschool (one actually finished), had to do summer programs to get their premed requirements in because they were late in making the decision but they still got in and over many who started out premed. I worry more about kids looking at schools for the top astrophysics or biomedical engineering programs than I do for kids like you who are more generalists and are still seeking their niche. To commit so early, can be harmful especially if you go to a specialty college in an area that you decide to change later on. I know of a brilliant girl who could have gone nearly anywhere but she just HAD to go to a BA/MD program. Well, she did get into one at Youngstown State. She hated the school but wanted that program so badly she went there. Two years later she is at school she hates, which is really not a fit for her and she has changed her mind about being a doctor. I'm sure she will do well transferring because her qualifications were stellar, but she spent two years in an unhappy situation that she knew up front she did not like. She was blinded by what she thought was her pot of gold. At 17, 18, it is rare to commit to field for life. Some of us change years into a career, but you guys haven't even started. Cheer up. Just get your state apps rolling because of that rolling deadline.

By Pacman (Pacman) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 11:39 am: Edit

You are not completely screwed. If you have no idea about financial aid, just go to a cheap and easy to get in school. Study hard for the first year or two and transfer to a better school. In the mean time you can think of what you want to major or how you'll get financial aid.

By Arora00 (Arora00) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 04:04 pm: Edit

Wow that is some great advice guys!!!
Thank YOU!!!
Im gonna go apply for UMD right now.
But should i declare major or should i keep it undeclared.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 05:58 pm: Edit

you transfer only if college is about education to you. The difference between umcp and wustl is really not THAT significant in the quality of the education you can receive. You transfer only if you're obsessed with prestige or if you don't have any friends. paired with his radical views on race pacman is a suspect.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 06:01 pm: Edit

unless of course you attend a CC, then you're supposed to transfer. But i don't think that trasfering from a good 4-yr school to a very good 4-yr school is worth the friendships and the fun you'll have in college.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page