Appyling early decision to Cornell, help!~

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Appyling early decision to Cornell, help!~
By Shockbldxz (Shockbldxz) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 08:30 pm: Edit

Hey, I'm an Indian male born in Jamaica from Greenwich, Connecticut- one of the best public schools in the nation. I'm applying early and I want to know what everyone thinks about my chances at getting in. I'm applying to the College of Engineering most likely (wondering how hard it is to switch schools if I change my mind?)

1490 SAT- 690 Verbal, 800 Math - retaking in October for whats its worth
780 Math 2C, 710 Chemistry, 660 Writing

AP Calc BC- 5, AB Subscore-5
AP Chemistry- 4
AP US Govt- 4
AP US History- 4

Currently taking AP English, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP Psychology, and Honors Physics.

I have a cum GPA of 4.2 weighted, I'm not sure what the UW is, probably around 3.7ish.

I have done Band all 4 years, playing 3 different instruments and I'm a section leader.

I helped found and am the Vice President of our Habitat for Humanity club- went on a trip to Mexico, moving experience, center for my essay (the whole 'constructing/engineering' correlation)

I have been an active member of the school newspaper, and am the News Editor.

I am the President of the Middle Eastern Outreach organization in our school.

I've run track and field all 4 years, qualified for County Championships.

I've volunteered over the summer at a local hospital, worked at a doctors office, and I volunteer during the school year at a local nursing home.

I'm an Eagle Scout (another basis for one of the FIVE essays, it's also the only real 'award' i have)

My recs are from the heads of their respective departments, so I'm sure they will be top notch, plus I've put a lot of time into my essays. I want to know if I have a reasonable chance at Cornell (or any other ivy for that matter.) Please let me know, it would be greatly appreciated.

By Whzup44412 (Whzup44412) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 09:05 pm: Edit

I'd say yes. I had a friend last year (an eagle scout and band member also, they like that at cornell) who got in with lower scores and a lower gpa. Good luck!

By Nealp (Nealp) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 10:40 pm: Edit

you's my competition foo

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 11:07 pm: Edit

nice

By Shockbldxz (Shockbldxz) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 11:24 pm: Edit

Do I have a shot at any of the other Ivies?

By Shockbldxz (Shockbldxz) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 06:32 pm: Edit

Please, tell me if I have a shot at any of the other ivies

By Shockbldxz (Shockbldxz) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 10:20 pm: Edit

~

By Spiffybrownboy (Spiffybrownboy) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 11:00 pm: Edit

Yes. You have a shot at other ivies. Number-wise, you have a shot at every ivy (would help if a couple of those SAT II's were a bit higher, though). Rememeber, however, that ivies are not everything, and there are just as good schools that you may want to consider and that you have a shot at as well (Northwestern, Washington U., etc.). Doing ED to Cornell (if it is indeed a place that suits you well), is great, and I think your chances of getting in are great.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page