Evaluate my Extra Curriculars for ivy leauge acceptance

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Evaluate my Extra Curriculars for ivy leauge acceptance
By Matlm (Matlm) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 07:23 pm: Edit

These are all the things I have done up to date...Let me know what you think

- assisted a psychologist in hosting group therapy for socially challeneged teenagers

- produced an independent CD from scratch, and grossed over 2000 dollars

- Created a website that recieved over 20,000 unique hits from over 50 different countries

- Served as the deputy field cordinator and sign cordinator for a campaign for the Maryland house of Delegates ( I successfully oversaw the placement of over 500 yard signs, more than all of the other candidates combined) I also was successful in landsliding a precint which we were assumed to come in last place

- Assisted the Campaign cordinator of a slated democratic campaign for the Maryland House of Delegates

- Interned for congressman Al Wynn. (blah blah, everyone has interned). I sucessfully scheduled two town hall meetings.

- Served as a Congressional Liason for a State Delegate to appropriate funds for a local sidewalk.

- Elected to the District 14 Democratic Club executive board. ( a very influential group in local politics)

By Sammileah (Sammileah) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 07:49 pm: Edit

Lol can i be you?
Fantastic ECs, you really do have a significant if not definite chance at the Ivies

By Matlm (Matlm) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 08:15 pm: Edit

Yeah you can believe me.
But.... the funny thing is, I dont think what I have done is all that impressive.. I was thinking about it at the mall today. I read these posts about people who have invented things, and written papers that were published in major journals, and i say to myself "man, these people really did something, not me."

By Matlm (Matlm) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 10:27 pm: Edit

anyone else?

By Sw4y (Sw4y) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 11:11 pm: Edit

my ec's are listed below tell me what you ppl think?

 Friendship Friend (8, 9, 10, 11, 12), 10 hrs/wk, 39 wks/yr. I spend three Saturdays a month with my friend, Hans. Because of his disability, his activities are limited with his classmates. I am one of his few friends that are strong enough to carry him up and down the stairs and help him use the restroom. I take him to watch movies and attend local sports events. In the evening, I help him with his homework and exercise regimen. My friendship with Hans means a lot to me. I have devoted my personal statement on him.

 John William Ward Society President (12), Member (10, 11), 5 hrs/wk, 36 wks/yr. Ward Society is responsible for organizing community service events and seminars with influential speakers to make members aware of the importance of public service. I coordinate all events with help from the Board Members. I was appointed to the Ward Fellowship by U.S. District Court Judge Mark Wolf in 2003.

 Intern for Representative Kevin G. Honan 2003-04 School year – 3 hrs/wk, Summer 2003 – 40 hrs/wk, 8 weeks. I provided constituent services (attending meetings, researching potential problems, responding to constituent inquiries), researching bills and issues, and office advice for the Legislator and legislative staff. I am a voice for Asian Americans in the Massachusetts State House. I also worked to reveal problems in laws regarding disabilities and health care.

 Arthur R. Lambert Memorial Scholarship Awarded by Senate President Robert E. Travaglini and Speaker of the House Thomas M. Finneran to three out of 400+ eligible legislative interns at the Massachusetts State House for devotion to public service. I lobbied for changes to the Joint Committees of Human Services and Elderly Affairs to acknowledge problems in laws regarding government funding for wheelchairs for disabled children and worked along side the Committee to help solve them.

 Boston Latin School TV Executive Producer (11, 12), 3 hrs/wk, 36 wks/yr. The TV show is broadcasted everyday to announce school events, develop school spirit, and serve as a forum for diverse opinions. Appointed by Class President to organize the TV show, I set up events and lead the broadcasters.

 Seevak Website Competition Competitor (10, 11, 12), 12 hrs/wk, 16 wks/yr. I was part of a three-member team to make a website on a person who is devoted to human rights and/or freedom. My team was awarded Honorable Mention for our website on Yitzhak Rabin.

 Chinese Chess Club President (11, 12) 2 hrs/wk, 36 wks/yr. Club provides Chinese Chess practices and tournaments for members.

 Website Art and Design President (10, 11, 12) 2 hrs/wk, 36 wks/yr. Club teaches Dreamweaver and Flash.

 Men’s Volleyball Junior Varsity (10, 11), Varsity (12) 15 hrs/wk, 10 wks/yr. I started middle for JV and I will be playing Varsity in my senior year.

 Intern at Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) Summer 2002 – 40hrs/wk, 8 weeks. I researched the ergonomics of different mouse and keyboard positions. I analyzed wrist movement while using the mouse and touch-typing on the keyboard.

 Allston Brighton Public Library Conversational Classes Teacher/Co-Founder, 4 hrs/wk 12 wk/yr. I started conversation classes of ten students each with another teacher to help immigrants in Boston develop and hone their English skills.

 Harvard Extension School Student (10), 6 hrs/wk, 17 wks/yr. I took Expository Writing at on school nights, where I learned to analyze different pieces of literature.

 US Air Force Academy Summer Seminar (11). I was invited to live as cadet for a week in June at the Academy. In the Physical Aptitude Exam, I scored top quartile in all events.

 Congressional Nomination I received my nomination to attend US Air Force Academy from US Representative Michael Capuano early because of my academic performance and leadership qualities at school and while working in the Massachusetts State House. (I declined my nomination after learning that USAFA cannot fully accommodate my medical and political interests.)

 Sketching Private Lessons (8, 9, 10) 3 hrs/wk 52 wks/yr, Artist (11, 12) 2 hrs/wk 30 wks/yr. I took classes on drawing portraits. I continue to teach myself through books and practice.

 Student Council Representative Elected Representative (9, 10), 2 hrs/wk, 25 wks/yr. I represented 30 students and participated in fundraising projects for my school.

 National French Exam (9) I won the Certificat de Mérite after taking one year of French.

 National Latin Exam (10, 11, 12) Gold in 2001 and 2003. Silver in 2002.

 Medusa Mythology Exam (12) Corona Olivae.

 Xintra Scholarship (11) Awarded by TechBoston for my promise and strong interest in computer science and technology.

 Football Freshmen (9) 20 hrs/wk, 12 wks/yr. I started offensive tackle for my school’s team.

By Diconoclastx (Diconoclastx) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 11:19 pm: Edit

Hmm.. ok superman.

By Lbpolystudent (Lbpolystudent) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 12:29 am: Edit

do you sleep?

By Sw4y (Sw4y) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 12:31 am: Edit

yea 4 hours a night and a 1 hour nap when i get home. im going to bed early today.

By Sw4y (Sw4y) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 12:31 am: Edit

yea 4 hours a night and a 1 hour nap when i get home. im going to bed early today.

By Matlm (Matlm) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 08:02 am: Edit

will someone else, comment on my ECs? I dunno why this dude posted his ECs in my post, lol.

By Sw4y (Sw4y) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 11:51 am: Edit

cuz i want comments too!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page