Am I completely deluding myself?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Am I completely deluding myself?
By Peterkitts (Peterkitts) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 11:50 am: Edit

Here goes another one of those posts:
I will try my shot and apply ea at yale. Tell me what you guys think.

SAT I: 690V 710M (will take again in october)
SAT II: will take in November
ACT: 30 (will retake in october)
GPA: 3.8 uw, 5.9 w

AP classes taken:
AP Psychology
AP European History
AP World History
AP Statistics
AP English Language
AP US History
AP French
AP Biology
AP Physics
AP Microeconomics
AP Macroeconomics
AP US Government
AP Comparative Politics
AP English Literature
AP Chemistry

I will not post my ap grades because they are AWFUL and with that said I think you know what that means.

Extracurriculars:

Class President- freshman and sophomore yrs
Mu Alpha Theta- Vice president junior year(won several tournaments)
Founder and President of Future Doctors of America- junior and senior year
French Honor Society- treasurer junior year/ president senior year
National Honor Society- parliamentarian senior year

Volunteer stuff:

700 hours at local Nursing Home
100 hours at Hospital
20 hours American Cancer Society (served on walk committees; registered hundreds of walkers)

And that's it. Feel free to tear my post apart. With the thousands of outstanding students who will be trying their shot at Yale, I know that this will be a tough competition. Anyways, do I have a fair chance?

By Thedad (Thedad) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 12:30 pm: Edit

You have the "leadership" tics that a lot of colleges like to see but your EC's are lackluster and are a photocopy of those presented by 5,119 other applicants in this year's application pool.

By Peterkitts (Peterkitts) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 02:09 pm: Edit

bumpity bump

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 02:48 pm: Edit

i really hope that's the Ap's including senior year.

By Peterkitts (Peterkitts) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 04:10 pm: Edit

no im still take 5 aps this year. those are from the past 3 years. Unfortunately I think I may have overloaded myself a bit which accounts for my poor ap exam scores.

By Neo (Neo) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 06:55 pm: Edit

I think you've got a slim chance. Maybe it's unusual, but there might be about ten other students applying to Yale from my school whose stats could be switched with yours without anyone becoming the wiser -- except that all 10 of them have 4,000s.

By Peterkitts (Peterkitts) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 08:00 pm: Edit

4,000s? what's that?

By Anduin (Anduin) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 01:53 am: Edit

A 4000 is a number used by people who do not get enough of an ego boost out of saying that they have 1600's. It means getting a 1600 on the SAT I and 800's on three SAT II's.

Answer me this for AP's. Did you at least take the exams for all of the classes that you mentioned?

But you might have a shot at Yale. Roll the dice, and don't be inordinately disappointed by a deferral.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 09:55 am: Edit

If you were one of my kids, here is how I would assess your ap for the ivies.
1) Curriculum----5 out of 5 as good as it gets
2) Grades--------4 out of 5--upper 10%, depends
on the school, however.
3) Test Scores...2.5 out of 5, incomplete,
however without the Sat 2s and AP scores
which could effect 2 as well
4) Extracurriculars... 2.5 out 5, below average
for ivy applicants
5) Recs...Can you get somone to give you a "best
student I've ever had and glowing commentary?
That is up in the air.
6) Essay, Interview, Personal interest
factor...Again, up in the air
7) Hook....? Don't know. That can make all the
difference in the world depending how strong
it is.
So you can sort of see how you stand right now given the information you have posted. In the top schools, I've informally noticed that giving 5 points to each section, you need a 27-28 out of 30 to get in out of the first 6 items, and the 7th, the hook can really swing things depending on how powerful it is (world class musician, olympian, celebrity, --those categories can overide nearly any deficiencies in the lower 6)
That hook is what I have seen get kids into high powered schools with less than lustrous stats. So depending on a lot of factors, you have a chance to get in anywhere. But realize that even with a perfect ap, Yale is one of those lottery ticket schools and select some other schools with that in mind. Things have really intensified in the top 30 schools in the US so that it really is difficult for anyone to predict who will get into these schools. I do a lot of work with catholic schools and the acceptances last year from Notre Dame and Boston College were frighteningly low for some stellar kids who looked like ivy material. The lastest stats show that BC had a banner year and their acceptances hit a low of under a third. A young lady I know with a low 1500 , top AP studded curriculum who was #2 or 3 in her class in a prep school did not get into any of the ivies, and did not get any of BC's top 25 applicants' scholarships. The school called to find out who was getting this merit aid and was told she was #42 on the list. If 17 decline BC than she would be next in line for the award. She did not get it. That meant that at least 25 applicants chose to go to BC with more stellar aps than this young lady who was at least a 27 or 28 on that 30 point scale. She was a talented award winning artist with a portfolio and some great experiences in that field--but can't really rate that hook. This sort of situation makes it impossible to predict where someone sits in that application pool. How much more can a 17 year old achieve in her lifetime? Her list of community and civic service was astounding to me. She was a gifted actress, president of the drama club, wrote some plays, produced some plays, did sets of some professional prodtions. The list goes on.
I am rambling now, but it does shock me how hard it is now for you kids. But as I said earlier, I have seen some surprises in the application process, which makes me refuse to tell anyone, he has no chance. But I sure tell everyone to look for some less selective schools as well as the highly selective ones. There are many that are wonderful places to live and study, and often will fit a kid better than his dream school. Good luck. Heartfelt.

By Peterkitts (Peterkitts) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 05:08 pm: Edit

Many thanks to all of you who responded. I am really taking your advice to heart. Anduin, yes i did take all of those ap exams and it was...tiring. Jamimom, i guess i will just have to try my luck because i don't really have anything to lose. We'll see come december what happens.

By Dazedconfused (Dazedconfused) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 04:06 am: Edit

Quality, not quantity! You should have not gotten 4's and 5's on those AP's instead of taking so many of them and not scoring well.

By Peterkitts (Peterkitts) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 05:01 pm: Edit

It's a little too late for that now isn't it. Oh well, I can only hope...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page