Tough luck.....

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Tough luck.....
By Chemyst (Chemyst) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 06:16 pm: Edit

Hi all! (I'm not getting much response from the other place where I posted this....tough luck.....) PLEASE rate my chances....I'm getting desperate......
My name's Anna and I am a high school senior from San Jose, CA. Homeschooler, too, though not the social outcast you'd expect from most. I am hoping that my being a homeschooler will not in any way hurt my chances of admission to Berkeley. Would you all be so kind as to rate my chances of admission to Berkeley? I really wanted to go to MIT, but I am not thinking I'll get in there. Berkeley has been my other top school, though. :-) I want to get into Berkeley's College of Chemistry. Thanks! Here are my stats:

White/LATINO/HISPANIC/Other FEMALE
GPA:
unweighted: 3.9 (one B in college math since I had a TON of emotional issues going on and it was summer school)
weighted: ~4.75-5.00

SAT: 1340 (640 M, 700 V) retake in October
SAT IIs: French 800, Chemistry 750, Math IIC 650 (retake), Writing 640 (retake)

Junior Year schedule: (community college is *)
English 1A Composition*
English 1B Literature*
High school calculus
Calculus 1A* (single variable)
Calculus 1B* (single variable)
Chemistry 1A* (general chemistry)
Chemistry 1B* (general chemistry)
French 3A* (advanced French)
Human Anatomy*
World Literature class
Physics

Senior year schedule:
Calculus 4A (multivariable)*
Calculus 4B (differential equations)*
Calculus 4C (linear algebra)*
Chemistry 12A (organic chemistry)*
Chemistry 12B (organic chemistry)*
LIterature--Shakespeare
Economics
American Government
Psychology 1A (general)*
French 3B (advanced French)*
^^^Would have taken calculus-based/engineering physics at the college, but there were conflicts with class times. Will potentially take if this can be resolved.

Extra-Curriculars:
Piano for ~9 years and studying for diploma with Guild
Swimming for ~11 years (quit because of consistent ear infections)
French Immersion weekend, participant for two years
Speech
Debate

Hobbies:
avid amateur astronomer
language enthusiast: Irish, Elvish, German, French, Spanish, French, etc.
reads literature on mathematics, chemistry, and astronomy in free time

Jobs:
Instructional assistant to chemistry department chair i.e. grading test and lab reports
Collaboration on French workbook with French department chair, two times, name on book in bookstore
Tutor---French, chemistry, maybe mathematics

Awards:
Most Outstanding Foreign Language Student of 2001 of Santa Clara County, community college level (awarded freshman year of high shool)
4th place in national French essay contest at highest level for non-native speakers (i.e. university level French)
three-time national speech competitor
semi-finals at nationals in expository, prose/poetry/thematic interpretation
^^^have not had opportunity to participate in any national olympiads, etc. please don't count against me....

That's about all I can think of at the moment. THANKS!!!!
~Anna

By Jtmoney84 (Jtmoney84) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 06:45 pm: Edit

You do have outstanding resume. I would raise the SAT scores to 1400s. You also need 3 nicely written essays. Then you are in. You posted so much info. No wonder anyone would care to read through this.

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 07:12 pm: Edit

wow i think you have a good shot at getting in...maybe just raise your scores a bit. but other than that, your national standing in some of the academic competitions and your courses especially are very impressive. and the fact that you read math, chemistry, and astronomy books during your spare time shows a lot of love for learning. i do the same thing, except i read history books. putting down "hispanic" on your application also helps a lot. best of luck to you! to which colleges are you thinking of applying?

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 09:26 pm: Edit

You are so getting in. There is no word to describe the amount of your getting-in-potential.

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 09:31 pm: Edit

How much hispanic are you? If its 50% or more, apply to MIT and Caltech also.. aswell as other schools like UCLA, UCSD, Carnegie Mellon and other chemistry schools.

By Chemyst (Chemyst) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 12:47 am: Edit

I am between 1/4 and 1/8, closer to 1/4 Hispanic.
Thanks for all your comments!!!! I certainly hope to get in. I will definitely apply to MIT (not Caltech, no study abroad) and probably UCSD, too. Not counting at all on getting into MIT, though it certainly be an accomplishment! I would apply to Carnegie Mellon and UCLA, but I just don't really like the feel of those places. Thanks so much!!!!
~Anna

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page