My chances at Northwestern/Medill

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: My chances at Northwestern/Medill
By Enosis (Enosis) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 05:21 pm: Edit

Applying Early Decision to Northwestern University

WASP from a small southern town.

ACADEMICS
GPA-3.958 w, approximately 3.42 uw
Class Rank: 55/517
SAT-1380 (670 math, 710 verbal)
AP US History-3
AP Music Thoery-4
AP American Government-3
AP American History-3
AP English Language and Composition-4

HONORS AND ACTIVITIS
National Honor Society (12, 11, 10)
Academic Team (12)
Mock Trial (12)
Principle’s Honor Roll (11, 10)
FCAT perfect score on reading and writing (10)

EMPLOYMENT AND HOBBIES
Florida Federations of Garden Club (FFGC) Wekiva Youth Camp counseling, 2003-2002
Seminole Softball concession stand, 2003-2000
Freelance website writing, 2003-1999
Personal website writing, 2003-2001
Satire website writing, 2003-2002
Writing and production of an independent film, 2003

MUSIC
Wind Ensemble, my school’s top band (12, 11, 10, 9); district level superior (11, 10, 9); state level superior (11) and excellent (9); first chair alto saxophone (12, 11, 10)
Marching band (12, 11, 10, 9); district level superior (11, 10, 9); associate section leader (12); equipment manager (10)
Saxophone lessons with UCF saxophone professor (12, 11, 10)
Orchestra (12)
Volunteer music lessons and assistance at local middle schools (12, 9)
Jazz band (11, 10, 9); state level superior (9) and excellent (11); district level superior (11, 10, 9); first chair alto saxophone (11, 10)
Disney World “Very Merry Christmas” parade (11, 10, 9)
Sanford Christmas parade (11, 10, 9)
Seminole High School homecoming parade (11, 10, 9)
Festivals at Disney World and Universal Studios (11, 10, 9)
Solo and ensemble festival (11, 10, 9); Florida Bandmasters Association (FBA) grade 7/7 solo (11), district level superior, state level excellent; FBA grade 5/7 trio (11), district level superior, state level excellent; FBA grade 7/7 solo (10), district level superior, state level excellent; FBA grade 5/7 solo (9), district level superior, state level good; FBA grade 5/7 trio (9), district level excellent.
Show band (10, 9)
Sanford Christmas charity event jazz ensemble performance (10)
Benefit cancer fundraiser razz ensemble performance (10)
Goldsboro Elementary School Reading Banquet volunteer duet performance (9)
Arts Alive festival of arts (9)

By Crnchycereal (Crnchycereal) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 05:50 pm: Edit

Your rank, GPA, scores, and honors/activites are all pretty average (perhaps even a bit below average) for Northwestern. However, you seem to be quite accomplished in the music department. If you can make this part of your app shine through, you should have a decent shot.

By Musictoad (Musictoad) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 06:33 pm: Edit

true, your stats are avg but you do have a chance to get in. go ed.

By Enosis (Enosis) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 07:18 pm: Edit

I am planning on retaking my SATs, and I should have above a 4.0 weighted GPA after first semester this year. Also, I have had a pretty difficult course load over the years. Do they take that sort of thing into consideration?

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 08:42 pm: Edit

Slim chances with only a 1380 and a 3.4 GPA. Northwestern only accepts people they absolutely know they would accept in RD during ED, and you do not fit that mold. Your dedication to music is outstanding, but you're not a music major, and your committment to music far outshines any of your work in journalism. Are you sure you want to use your one ED on Northwestern? Where else are you thinking about applying?

By Enosis (Enosis) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 08:59 pm: Edit

According to my research, the acceptance rate for Northwestern regular decision was about 34% and the ED rate was 50%. I figure if I don't make it in to Northwestern ED, I probably won't make it in to most of my other choices EA (Columbia, U. of Chicago). My alternate plan was to go to UF (another good journalism school) and see about transferring to Northwestern after a year or two.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 02:03 am: Edit

columbia isn't EA
why trasfer? Pick a school and stick with it, unless you're a prestige-whore you will most probably find your school decent enough. And what about friends? I don't know but isn't college about friends and fun just as it is about academics.
UF will NOT have a journalism department that's so much worse than NU's.

By Musictoad (Musictoad) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 09:22 pm: Edit

there is a website with Northwestern's last 5 years SATs etc for applicants to each school. I think you've got a great shot at getting in, it's just that at these levels everything's a crap shoot. while the site I mentioned has the averages, it doesn't give ranges so I am inclined to think that NU has some leeway and that not everything is SAT-centric. The same is true for someone applying to their music school. Most kids who have any talent can't have great ECs in music and have great SATs and a perfect 4.0. Something's got to give
You'll do fine but have some safety schools handy as you just never know.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page