College list..WHAT ARE MY CHANCES!!!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: College list..WHAT ARE MY CHANCES!!!!!
By Lostboy86 (Lostboy86) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 10:41 am: Edit

Hey, i just wanted an evaluation of my colleges, and whether i have a decent chance to get in.
I'm doing the IB diploma, predicted 38-40 points total. Subjects are:
HL Economics 7
HL Geo 6/7
HL Bio 6
SL Math Methods 6
SL Malay 5
SL English 6/7....
SAT's: I am gonna do em' this October.
I'm also an international student living in Singapore, of Indian heritage. I have a good list of EC's, senior Rugby Team (4 years), Social service, guitar, Water polo team, Soccer, etc.
Please could someone tell me if i'm being an idiot applying to these schools:

Middlebury (ED for December)
Amherst (reachy)
Swarthmore
Williams
Carleton
Grinel
Cornell

Any comments would be really useful...

By Briteeyez4322 (Briteeyez4322) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 11:34 am: Edit

you seem to have pretty reasonable choices although it's hard to gauge w/o GPA or SAT scores... IB is a good thing to have (go IB! hehe) and your international status is something these small LAC's always want.... at Middlebury and Williams, athletics is a big thing so that should help you there... but w/ these kind of schools (the uber-competitive) there's so many variables... hope this helps

By Briteeyez4322 (Briteeyez4322) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 11:35 am: Edit

btw.... which school is supposed to be your safety? because even though you seem to have "hooks" and a well-rounded application, you should have at least one school that you know you can get into just in case...

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 12:25 pm: Edit

Iagree with the previous posts. Without SATs it's hard to tell where you are and you do not have any safeties. Check out Fairfield University which has Rugby and Water Polo, I think. It would love to have someone like you and it fits your safety needs especially if your SATs come in well. Also if you need financial aid, that can color the scene differently. Swarthmore, Williams and Cornell are not easily match schools either. Swarthmore and Williams are as selective as Amherst and Cornell is only slightly less selective with a 30% accept rate. I know several kids with high stats who were waitlisted at Cornell, which surprised me since some of them were quite top drawer. i've also seen a larger than usual number of kids with less than brilliant apps get in. Look also at Gettysburg, Dickinson, Lafeyette.

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 07:54 pm: Edit

Briteeyez4322:
Are you positively sure colleges such as Middlebury and Williams "favor" international students and atheletics? I am not trying to question your statement or anything, but I just want to make sure since I'm an international student and I have a decent amount of 'athletics' in my resume.

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 06:45 am: Edit

BUMP-o-RAMA

By Lostboy86 (Lostboy86) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 08:24 am: Edit

Thanks for all the comments...and yeah, i knew that without my SAT's it'd be hard to guage my credibility...as backups go, my American backup is Grinel, and my major back up is McGill...Im also applying through UCAS to LSE, UCL, Kings, Manchester, Warwick and Nottingam...not that you guys might know about those unis though cos their all in the UK...

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 09:27 am: Edit

btw Grinnell has 2 lls and 2ns (you wouldn't want your backup to think you didn't care about them)

By Lostboy86 (Lostboy86) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 09:38 am: Edit

thx....hehehe ......good point.....

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 10:21 am: Edit

Yes, athletics are important. But they really make an impact only if you plan to pursue them in college and you have contacted the athletic director of the college about those plans. If he puts you on the athletic "wish list" that is a powerful hook, one of the most powerful.
I am not sure about the international part. A lot of US schools will not consider you if you are non-US and need financial aid. That I do know. Williams is need blind, I know to international students but I don't know about the othr schools you have listed--you need to check on that if you need financial aid.

By Lostboy86 (Lostboy86) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 10:09 am: Edit

So do any of you know what type of SAT II scores a place like Middlebury is looking for? Just a query...and if i don't do well on those tests, then how much will it affect my chances...

Middlebury is my dream school cause once i get in, i am likely to get the Davis scholarship cos im a UWC kid....

By Heartfang2 (Heartfang2) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 07:49 pm: Edit

Hei, I am from Malaysia.

SAT 1 (1 sitting)- 780 -M
730 -V

Applying
Harvard
Princeton
Yale
MIT
Williams
Kenyon
Colgate
Oberlin
Lafayette
Mount Holyoke
McGill

Already applied
Cambridge
King's College London
Imperial
UCL
Edinburgh
Bath

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page