Chances for ivies

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Chances for ivies
By Dsmith207 (Dsmith207) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 09:05 am: Edit

i really would love to go to an ivy league school but i'm not sure what my chances are of getting in. here are my stats:

gpa 3.87 (unweighted)
class rank 2-245
sats 1320 (680 verb, 640 math)
sat IIs Math 680 Bio 660
act 29 (34 verb, 28 math, 28 reading, 25 science)
all honors classes since freshman year
4 ap classes (bio-scored a 5, calculus, english, spanish)
4 year varsity soccer player and captain
4 year varsity winter track and captain
4 year varsity spring track and captain
student council (9-12) secretary
president of the national honor society
tutor for local hispanic students
various awards for scholar-athlete

although not an ivy, my dream school is stanford. i'm from ma so i thought being on the other side of the country might be a good thing.
do i have even a remote chance of getting in?

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 10:01 am: Edit

Very impressive. Harvard likes athletes.

By Dsmith207 (Dsmith207) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 01:01 pm: Edit

im a decent athlete but probably couldn't get into a school like harvard on my athletics. i would like to study biology (pre-med) so i'm looking at schools with strong programs in that field. what kind of schools should i apply to? would notre dame, duke, and northwestern be out of my reach?

By Sw4y (Sw4y) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 01:07 pm: Edit

not to break your heart but im from ma too. i attend boston latin school. and i know a lot of ppl apply to stanford and an overwhelming amount are rejected from my school like 95%. you have a good shot at harvard, but stanford prefer west coast ppl from my knowledge. but i think you should go for it if you really want it. it is just very difficult for east coast people. and if you are a minority it wouldnt help much at stanford because they can get minorities easily from cali. aim harvard you have a really good shot dispite the sub 1400

By Dsmith207 (Dsmith207) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 02:39 pm: Edit

thank you so much for your input! i'm having a hard time with the whole college search process. i can't figure out which schools i even have a shot at. what do you think about the colleges i listed in my second post?

By Dsmith207 (Dsmith207) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 04:01 pm: Edit

if anyone gets a chance can you please help me out? i just need some feedback because i am getting little help from my guidance counselor on the college process.

By Nealp (Nealp) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 04:34 pm: Edit

dude stanford is an ivy, isn't it?

By Sw4y (Sw4y) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 04:36 pm: Edit

no :-x stanford is not an ivy

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 06:05 pm: Edit

Stanford is on the same level as Harvard, Princeton, and Yale, but it is not an Ivy League school.

The Ivy League is merely an Athletics League that was started many years ago and it just happens to be that the schools in it are very very very good.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 06:46 pm: Edit

All of the schools you listed are stretch schools for you unless there is some special hook you did not mention. If you want to get in, you will really have to give them a lot of attention and put in a stellar application, and even then it is a crap shoot. By all means pick a bunch to apply to, but start looking for some match and safeties as well. U of Mass is a great safety for you if you like it and if it can serve your academic goals. Start looking at some schools where your scores or athletic activities ( if you can participate at college level-div 3 maybe) put you in the upper 25-50% of the applicants. When you apply to colleges you can apply to a lot of selective schools if you like but do not ignore a couple of match schools and safeties. Good luck and happy hunting.

By Nealp (Nealp) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 05:14 pm: Edit

i always thought hypsm was short for ivy, well kinda

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 08:02 pm: Edit

Wow

By Nealp (Nealp) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 09:32 pm: Edit

haha

By Dsmith207 (Dsmith207) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 06:45 am: Edit

thanks for all your messages!
just wanted to include a few things that i left out before as far as EC's and awards. I'm a volunteer at my local hospital, I volunteer at a soup kitchen every friday, I'm in four national honor societies, I'm a Big Sister for incoming freshman at my school, and I'm involved in my school's community outreach program. I've also worked as a page in Washington, D.C. in the house of Rep. and been a soccer referee for 4 years. I've received various awards for my athletics and academics as well. (example, I'm a Wendy's High School Heisman nominee). With this info, and the stuff I wrote above, what schools should i be applying to?

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 11:53 pm: Edit

By all means, apply to your dream school. Add a few more in California--the Claremont schools have a nice bunch in varying degrees of selectivity. Pomona, Claremont Mackenna and Pitzer. Throw in Notre Dame and Northwestern. Mix it with a couple LACs, Grinnell and Macalester. Then look for several schools where your SATs are within the mid 50% range (your actual SATs not anticipated). Marquette, Kent State, Purdue are just some suggestions if you like big schools. Any of the Big 10, actually. Then throw in U Mass as a safety or one of the other New England state schools that Mass has an agreement with. That gives you about a dozen schools with everything you want, a few match/safeties, a few safety/reaches.
If you can get an idea of where you would be a contributing athlete, you could bump up your matches. You may want to talk to your coach and a few college athletic directors about that. You'll have a lot of flexibility since you are not limiting yourself to schools within a few hours of where you live. Have fun making the matches!

By Dsmith207 (Dsmith207) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 06:35 am: Edit

thanks so much! do you know of any medium size schools i could apply to?

By Pacman (Pacman) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 11:41 am: Edit

All the "Ivies" basically suck except for Harvard. MIT and STanford are not Ivies but they are better than all other other "non_Harvard" Ivies.

By Over30 (Over30) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 03:17 pm: Edit

For pre-med, you might want to look at Wash U. in St. Louis.

By Dsmith207 (Dsmith207) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 06:33 pm: Edit

i went out to notre dame this weekend and loved it. it is definitely my number one school right now.
how are my chances at georgetown or upenn?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page