Brownie for 4 years?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Brownie for 4 years?
By Sw4y (Sw4y) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 11:38 pm: Edit

brown is my number 1 choice school. i dont want to go anywhere else cept brown.

im applying early decision.

scores: 1370, 750 math 2c, 720 chinese, 700 writing

gpa: 3.9 of 4.0

concentration: political science (im asian so ill be special cuz the classes there are all white)

my recommendatoins are stellar because i have read them all.

my essay is really good (not to brag but according to my friends from harvard it is "exceptional")

i hope to get in with my extracurriculars:

 Friendship Friend (8, 9, 10, 11, 12), 10 hrs/wk, 39 wks/yr. I spend three Saturdays a month with my friend, Hans. Because of his disability, his activities are limited with his classmates. I am one of his few friends that are strong enough to carry him up and down the stairs and help him use the restroom. I take him to watch movies and attend local sports events. In the evening, I help him with his homework and exercise regimen. My friendship with Hans means a lot to me. I have devoted my personal statement on him.

 John William Ward Society President (12), Member (10, 11), 5 hrs/wk, 36 wks/yr. Ward Society is responsible for organizing community service events and seminars with influential speakers to make members aware of the importance of public service. I coordinate all events with help from the Board Members. I was appointed to the Ward Fellowship by U.S. District Court Judge Mark Wolf in 2003.

 Intern for Representative Kevin G. Honan 2003-04 School year – 3 hrs/wk, Summer 2003 – 40 hrs/wk, 8 weeks. I provided constituent services (attending meetings, researching potential problems, responding to constituent inquiries), researching bills and issues, and office advice for the Legislator and legislative staff. I am a voice for Asian Americans in the Massachusetts State House. I also worked to reveal problems in laws regarding disabilities and health care.

 Arthur R. Lambert Memorial Scholarship Awarded by Senate President Robert E. Travaglini and Speaker of the House Thomas M. Finneran to three out of 400+ eligible legislative interns at the Massachusetts State House for devotion to public service. I lobbied for changes to the Joint Committees of Human Services and Elderly Affairs to acknowledge problems in laws regarding government funding for wheelchairs for disabled children and worked along side the Committee to help solve them.

 Boston Latin School TV Executive Producer (11, 12), 3 hrs/wk, 36 wks/yr. The TV show is broadcasted everyday to announce school events, develop school spirit, and serve as a forum for diverse opinions. Appointed by Class President to organize the TV show, I set up events and lead the broadcasters.

 Seevak Website Competition Competitor (10, 11, 12), 12 hrs/wk, 16 wks/yr. I was part of a three-member team to make a website on a person who is devoted to human rights and/or freedom. My team was awarded Honorable Mention for our website on Yitzhak Rabin.

 Chinese Chess Club President (11, 12) 2 hrs/wk, 36 wks/yr. Club provides Chinese Chess practices and tournaments for members.

 Website Art and Design President (10, 11, 12) 2 hrs/wk, 36 wks/yr. Club teaches Dreamweaver and Flash.

 Men’s Volleyball Junior Varsity (10, 11), Varsity (12) 15 hrs/wk, 10 wks/yr. I started middle for JV and I will be playing Varsity in my senior year.

 Intern at Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) Summer 2002 – 40hrs/wk, 8 weeks. I researched the ergonomics of different mouse and keyboard positions. I analyzed wrist movement while using the mouse and touch-typing on the keyboard.

 Allston Brighton Public Library Conversational Classes Teacher/Co-Founder, 4 hrs/wk 12 wk/yr. I started conversation classes of ten students each with another teacher to help immigrants in Boston develop and hone their English skills.

 Harvard Extension School Student (10), 6 hrs/wk, 17 wks/yr. I took Expository Writing at on school nights, where I learned to analyze different pieces of literature.

 US Air Force Academy Summer Seminar (11). I was invited to live as cadet for a week in June at the Academy. In the Physical Aptitude Exam, I scored top quartile in all events.

 Congressional Nomination I received my nomination to attend US Air Force Academy from US Representative Michael Capuano early because of my academic performance and leadership qualities at school and while working in the Massachusetts State House. (I declined my nomination after learning that USAFA cannot fully accommodate my medical and political interests.)

 Sketching Private Lessons (8, 9, 10) 3 hrs/wk 52 wks/yr, Artist (11, 12) 2 hrs/wk 30 wks/yr. I took classes on drawing portraits. I continue to teach myself through books and practice.

 Student Council Representative Elected Representative (9, 10), 2 hrs/wk, 25 wks/yr. I represented 30 students and participated in fundraising projects for my school.

 National French Exam (9) I won the Certificat de Mérite after taking one year of French.

 National Latin Exam (10, 11, 12) Gold in 2001 and 2003. Silver in 2002.

 Medusa Mythology Exam (12) Corona Olivae.

 Xintra Scholarship (11) Awarded by TechBoston for my promise and strong interest in computer science and technology.

 Football Freshmen (9) 20 hrs/wk, 12 wks/yr. I started offensive tackle for my school’s team.

what are my chances at brown early decision?

By Bamagirl (Bamagirl) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 11:57 pm: Edit

really good. you have so many ecs although your test scores are not terrible high. you mind telling me what you think of my chances at brown ed. thats the only place i want to go too. im Brown ED Chances?

By Trojan1444 (Trojan1444) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 03:08 am: Edit

Ok, couple of things about the original poster....

One: you sound arrogant as hell. Examples: "My recs are great because I've read them all." or "concentration: political science (im asian so ill be special cuz the classes there are all white)" Schools don't look for diversity WITHIN majors, just overall. And being asian will hurt you more than help you.

Oh, and what the hell does this mean: "I am a voice for Asian Americans in the Massachusetts State House."

Hopefully you don't come across as this cocky in your essay.

Also, your SAT's are below the median for Brown. And being asian with below-the-median SAT scores isn't a recipe for admittance at ANY school, let alone Brown.

By Esmerelda (Esmerelda) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 11:44 am: Edit

oh, come on now. Sw4y is just trying to be as honest as possible, trying to give us as many angles to look at as he or she can so that we can accurately (try) to assess his situation.
Trojan is right though, they don't care about race within a major.
oh, and about the recs...did you not waive your right to see them, or did your teachers just show them to you. If you don't waive your right to see your recomendations, it doesn't look as good to the colleges. Maybe your teachers do what my chem teacher does. We had to write our own recomendation (DAMN HARD) and she changes it as she sees fit.
As for you getting into Brown, I have no idea. It could go either way. you may want to retake your SAT Is, or not, whatever. Your ECs are phonomenal. Oh, and what kind of classes did you take? Do you have a weighted GPA? :) Good luck!

By Sw4y (Sw4y) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 12:51 pm: Edit

well thing is i got A's and B's soph and freshmen year so i didn't have a super gpa. then in junior year i got all A's. so weighted it is 3.9 i hope they will see that i had a 4.48 in my junior year and even higher senior year.

my aps:
ap bio (4)
ap comp sci (4)
ap econ
ap lit
ap environmental sci
ap calc ab

my teacher showed me the recommendations they wrote for me it was absolutely great because i didnt even know they noticed the little things about me and my character which they provided detail explainations.

By Sw4y (Sw4y) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 09:41 pm: Edit

well if my activities list comes off as being arrogant how do you suggest i change it then?

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 12:13 am: Edit

You will get in.. I have no idea how you will fit all those EC's on the application, though.

By Sw4y (Sw4y) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 12:16 am: Edit

cmaher what is your aim/msn im so scared i have no shot. what if trojan boy is right. what if i do come off too arrogrant. my scores are low but im going to take the ACT's and aim for a 32 which is like a 1400s in SAT's so hopefully ill get it.

are you in college cmaher?

By Sw4y (Sw4y) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 08:08 pm: Edit

yea what ec's shold i take out?

By Delirious (Delirious) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 10:56 pm: Edit

Your standardized test scores need a lot of work. Definitely take something else besides Chinese. A 720 is atrocious and will hurt you more than it will help.
Your ECs don't add up. I'm sorry but the total hours a week spent on ECs exceeds 40, which means that either you literally have no life or that you exaggerated a bit.

By Sw4y (Sw4y) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 10:58 pm: Edit

i added them up but if you look at the weeks they arent for the whole school year. its about 25 on week days. and i spend saturdays with my friend

By Sw4y (Sw4y) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 04:20 pm: Edit

any more advice?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page