Ivy League & Athetics

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Ivy League & Athetics
By Frogman9595 (Frogman9595) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 09:56 pm: Edit

How much do schools like Harvard, Yale, and other ivies care about athletics during high school? I understand that it is important to participate in athletics or similar extracirriculars, and I do although I probably won't be varsity until junior or senior year. My forte is academics, but I am worried that even the most academically driven schools will find fault in my althletic ability. In terms of competition, will higher rank, gpa, SATs, and academic achievements put me at an advantage or disadvantage over people who have excelled in athetics while maintaining a decent grades, etc?

By Nycneedhelp (Nycneedhelp) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 10:02 pm: Edit

u had better be well rounded in something else besides athletics...remember:

IVY's DO NOT TAKE NERDS! (As in go home and study all day...in other words...no ec's)

i guess if ure passionate in something else, (e.g. art, dance, music, science, etc.) pursue it...

my friend isnt even in the top 10% of his class. he only has a 1330 SAT. Yet he's ranked #1 in the state in the pole vault and went to nationals last year. Oh, and he's prob. goin' to Princeton. (The coach already recruited him - he's in)

By Frogman9595 (Frogman9595) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 10:10 pm: Edit

So ivies do in fact recruit students based on athletics? I thought you had to be a pretty strong student in addition to any athletic ability to get in. I am involved in track & field, i'm just not particularly great at it. I just fear of trying so hard in academics only to be beaten out by a varsity sports player at an academically oriented school!

By Nycneedhelp (Nycneedhelp) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 11:19 pm: Edit

yes, but my friend was also pretty good academically...i guess his average was about 97-98 ish...still not top 10% though...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page