Princetoned?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Princetoned?
By Pimpdaddy (Pimpdaddy) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 08:55 pm: Edit

Seeing as how its almost time to send in those apps, what do yall think my chances for the following schools are?
(ill prob be a bio or eco major)
Princeton ED, Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth, Cornell, Columbia A/S, NYU A/S (maybe stern)

GPA: 97.1, (97.7 w/o fresh. year)
PSAT: 80m 80v 76wr
SAT: 800m 770v
ACT: 34 Math, 35 English, 36 Reading, 36 Science, 35 Composite
SAT II: Biology-800
World History-800
Math iic- 800
Chemistry-770
Math ic- 790
American History- 770
Writing- 740

APs: European History- 5
Biology- 5
Spanish Language-5
American History-5
BC Calculus-5
English Language-4
Will take Macro/Micro economics, Spanish Lit, English Lit and Chemistry this year

My current course thangs:
AP Spanish Literature
AP English Literature
AP Chemistry
AP Microeconomics
Multivariate Calculus

Extracurriculars-
Qualified for AIME
Editor- School Paper
Treasurer- Web Design Club
Secretary- Business Club
President- History Club
Writer for- publications by the math, history, chem/physics and science research departments in our school
Member- Interact (Comm. Service Club), Physics/Chemistry lab assistant
Member- Spanish Honors Society, Arista
Im currently researching a bio-chem intel project at NYU and attend the Science Honors program at Columbia University. I volunteer at the Red Cross but i only have like 100 hours. Yeah, i play the violin too.

(PS i thought it looks kinda funny how when u write Princeton ED w/o a space it looks like princestoned, lolz"

By Trojan1444 (Trojan1444) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 09:06 pm: Edit

You won't get in anywhere. You are totally underqualified.

By Mehere (Mehere) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 10:14 pm: Edit

Wow! I am also considering Princeton ED but after looking at your stats I think I will not apply. You can get in all of the schools you listed.
PS: why not MIT?

By Mehere (Mehere) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 10:14 pm: Edit

Wow! I am also considering Princeton ED but after looking at your stats I think I will not apply. You can get in all of the schools you listed.
PS: why not MIT?

By Interested123 (Interested123) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 10:14 pm: Edit

Hmm...you look like the typical applicant (unless you have a 1600 scores don't carry the same weight these days). At this point theres not much you can do, just try to differentiate yourself with what you have. By all means go for it.

By T0fu (T0fu) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 10:17 pm: Edit

Is a 1600 so much better than a 1570? Really?? I don't think so.

By Interested123 (Interested123) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 10:23 pm: Edit

Uhhhh....yes? T0fu, the point I was trying to make is that scores don't mean ••••, they can get you in the pool, but their not gonna get you in...and please don't even try to argue that point.

The guy has a good chance OK. Im not gonna say more than that because last year when people posted ed accepted/rejection status I saw some pretty •••••• up stuff (4.0 1600 2400 intel finalist waitlisted for one). People with simlar stats were rejected while other with significantly lower ones were accepted. College admissions is wierd, and pimpdaddy bud, your definetly in the running.

By T0fu (T0fu) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 10:27 pm: Edit

Oh I totally agree.

I'm just saying that a couple more points on his SAT wouldn't make that much of a difference. I would guess he'd make it.

By Pimpdaddy (Pimpdaddy) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 10:50 pm: Edit

thnx everyone,
in response to that why not mit?, well i visited the place and it just didnt seem very "collegy." I felt like i was in an office park or something of the sort. Besides, I really like a well rounded education, and i dont think i can really get that at mit.

By Pimpdaddy (Pimpdaddy) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 11:10 pm: Edit

bump, useful input would be appreciated instead of this 1600 banter, lol

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 12:14 am: Edit

i'd rather have a 1570 than a 1600. A 1600 looks kinda ...fake, and sort of pointless. If you have a 1600 you think you're better than everyone else, while a 1570 shows a great sat score.

By Cornell00 (Cornell00) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 08:47 am: Edit

you are a great candidate im shure you could get in with great essays and amazing recs, just boost up your EC'S!!!
GOOD LUCK!!!:)
ps:dont let anyone tell you you dont have a chance because you shure do!!!!! dont give up!!!
1570!!! impressive

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 09:00 am: Edit

You're scores are excellent, but you're ECs aren't even decent. I'd say you have an average/below average shot at all your schools listed.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 09:46 am: Edit

I think you are looking good. Just keep up the great work, and nurture your contacts who are writing your recs. You are really more in the running than most kids who want to go to these schools.
The post talking about who did not get in last year with sterling stats is a warning to make sure you stick in a few schools that are not so selective. You just never know and you really don't want to get yourself stuck. NYU is slightly less selective, pick another, maybe a state school that is very numbers oriented and a one page ap. I really don't think you will need them. You are as qualified as anyone but as smart as you are, you can see why it's good to cover your bases.

By Pimpdaddy (Pimpdaddy) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 11:26 am: Edit

why are my extracurriculars lacking? I always thought i had a good mix of things
Additionally, whats this formula i see being thrown around like 73% chance of being accepted and whatnot?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page