My Class Rank Sucks Is that Bad?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: My Class Rank Sucks Is that Bad?
By Alise (Alise) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 12:57 pm: Edit

I desperately want to go to Columbia or UC Berkeley...

Ok Freshman year I was fine, first in the class, though tied with a few others. Now it's my senior year and i'm 18th. A huge slide since my class only has 235 people (It was 298). This means I dropped out of the top 5% of my school. This is my basic transcript/resume:

Freshman year:
English Honors
Geometry Honors
Biology Honors
Civics Honors
French I
Band
Gym/Health (why am I putting that in there?)

Sophomore year:
English Honors
Algebra II/Trigonometry Honors
Chemistry Honors
European History AP
French II
Band

Junior Year:
English Honors
Pre-Calculus Honors
Physics Honors
US History AP
Chemistry AP
French III Honors
Band

Senior Year:
English AP
Calculus AB AP
Physics AP
Biology AP
Statistics AP
US Government AP
Band

GPA: 3.57 Unweighted 4.77 Weighted
AP's: Euro History: 3
Chemsitry: 3
US History: 4
SAT: 1320 (taken back in January, already registered for Oct Exam)
SAT II: Writing 720, US History 700, Math 2c 780

Extracurr: School Plays: Camelot the Musical (Chorus member), and The Crucible (As Tituba). Literary Magazine (Editor-In-Chief). Science Olympiad team member (Won two medals in the only two events i did). Science Olympiad Assistant Coach. TEAMS (Tests of Engineering Applitude, Math and Science) first place regional winner (our team was, that is).Winter Track team member
Tiger Marching Band member (Piccolo),Tiger Marching Bang Squad Leader (2002 and 2003). Member of the High School Symphonic Wind Ensemble (Principle Chair Flute). Member of the National Honor Society

Other:
Volunteer:(Candy Striper)50 hours, Habitat for Humanity: Currently doing
Alternate for the Governor's School of Acedemic Excellence
Publication of Poetry
Anthology of Poems by Young Americans © 1994
Hidden Frontiers © 2001
The Best Poems and Poets of 2001 © 2002
Sound of Poetry (CD of 33 poets)
Letters from the Soul Series (Title yet to be determined)
The Best Poems and Poets of 2002
I Have played the Piano since I was 5 years old (12 years)

Ok what can I say, I'm a horrible Test Taker. Tell me what you think.

By Alise (Alise) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 01:32 pm: Edit

silly me i forgot to put down my work:
Work as Laboratory Assistant for the University of Delaware since Oct last year

By Sadeyedlady (Sadeyedlady) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 03:31 pm: Edit

Those poetry things you listed are scams. They publish everyone who pays and aren't available in bookstores..it's vanity printing.

By Alise (Alise) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 03:33 pm: Edit

don't worry i didn't bother paying =) it fills lines on my application, all i care.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 04:27 pm: Edit

You'd have a good chance at UC Berkeley if you were a Calif. resident but they are really tightening up the number of out-of-state residents they will take next year due to the state's budget crisis so as an out of state resident (assuming since you said you work in a lab in Delaware that you're out of state!) I wouldn't be too hopeful. For Columbia, you need to get your SATs way up. It's not your rank that will hurt you in both schools, it's your GPA and test scores.
Good luck

By Mstee (Mstee) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 06:09 pm: Edit

I read something in the paper just recently that the U.C.'s are actually thinking of upping out-of-state admittances (and charging even more) as a way of trying to help offset budget cuts, and thereby preserving more places for in-state students (which otherwise will have to be reduced due to 20% cuts in budget next year). Anyone else pick up on that? I only skimmed the article, don't remember details. And anyway, it is just an idea that is being considered, who knows what will actually happen.

By Alise (Alise) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 03:22 pm: Edit

*bump*

By We_The_Ppl_Fire (We_The_Ppl_Fire) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 04:38 pm: Edit

I'd say leave out the poetry list. The admin officers will take one look and see right through your intent. They know the awards are scams, and no doubt that will leave a bad impression on your true abilities.

By Tennizpro06 (Tennizpro06) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 05:16 pm: Edit

yeah i definetly agree with leaving them out. list poetry as a hobby and for a descrp, put like published a few poems but don't list the books. ad com's will think you weren't serious enough about poetry to actually do a little bit of research. it's pretty general knowledge that those were scams

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page