VIDEOGAMES ARE HORRIBLE__________________________

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: VIDEOGAMES ARE HORRIBLE__________________________
By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 11:01 am: Edit

Videogames are the biggest waste of time . . . they aren't even fun. I'm glad I stopped playing them in 7th grade. How do you guys feel?

By Chenfei (Chenfei) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 11:13 am: Edit

They ARE horrible. It was a lucky coincidence that a virus has corrupted all my save stats a couple months ago, preventing me from wasting even more time. Praise the Lord! =)

By Dkm (Dkm) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 11:22 am: Edit

i havent played my games in 3 years...i stopped getting fake games...the originals r so f****** expensive..hell no i wanst gonna buy them..atleast i study more now...

By Hsimpson2k4 (Hsimpson2k4) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 11:40 am: Edit

Video games are boring, but pc games are another story. If you think that they are a waste of time, you just aren't playing the right genre. I mean, you guys are being hypocritical. How can you spend so much time on a message board (probably other boards too) and then say that gaming is a waste of time? When you think about it, what isn't a waste of time?

Kid A spends his free time playing video games. He enjoys himself and is always having fun and being happy.

Kid B studies during his free time so that he can get into a prestigious college, leading to a good job, success, etc.

However, if Kid A gets good grades and into a good college, which is the better decision. Having fun and being successful or working hard all the time and being successful?

However, if you guys are doing something else fun instead of video games, that is just as good. The point is to be happier, if you enjoy studying, go right ahead. I prefer gaming.

Just one guy's opinion...

By Mema2286 (Mema2286) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 11:59 am: Edit

believe me, playing video games is definitely a waste of time. atleast if u spend sum time on the boards, u learn sumthing new...usually something that may help u.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 12:06 pm: Edit

mmm isn't this a bigger waste of time. I agree with simpson, i could have been playing diablo 2 and enjoying it instead of being here...

By Ksolo (Ksolo) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 02:16 pm: Edit

Video games are just an outlet for entertainment. No one can possibly study 24 hours a day. Sometimes, or many at times, doing one thing continually is just not healthy.

Gaming isn't a waste of time if you are having a good time playing. There are many things in life that can be considered a "big waste of time." The internet, watching tv, speaking with friends about "nothing," etc. But now, that isn't really wasting time either, right?

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 02:50 pm: Edit

All of the things you listed can give you knowledge or develop your social skills. Videogames can't do either.

By Seventoedsloth (Seventoedsloth) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 03:16 pm: Edit

I still play video games. They do not get in the way of academics. Personally, I am 6th out of 360 in my class and probobly do 1/4 the work of the people in front of me. To me, the work they do is a waste of time. Also, I would like to develop games after college. What other medium can connect people all over the world and provide so much entertainment? By the way why is this thread under What are my Chances?

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 04:21 pm: Edit

You guys dont know what youre talking about. Video games are awesome (not pc games, because they tend to suck). Boring? well you obviously havent played a real game before. How are they a waste of time? So entertainment is a waste of time? Then we'd all be studying all the time.

By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 04:31 pm: Edit

"All of the things you listed can give you knowledge or develop your social skills. Videogames can't do either."

Yeah it can. You can play them with friends (like talking to friends about nothing...). You can gain hand-eye cordination, great if that's what your job needs... and they can give you knowledge. How do I know what "feral" means? Not from the dictionary... :)

By Justinfiddler (Justinfiddler) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 04:34 pm: Edit

you can't say video games are a waste of time.
what about strategy puzzle games?

sports are a waste of time
i personally think running around a track like gerbils is just stupid

By Hsimpson2k4 (Hsimpson2k4) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 04:35 pm: Edit

Jason, didn't mean to insult you. I am a graphics whore, and the half life 2 engine beats this hit out of any console game.

WHy do you have to gain something in order for it to have value. I am happy, that's enough. I don't need to learn from games...

Why do you guys waste so many hours sleeping?? I mean, you could be studying during those hours.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 05:28 pm: Edit

Actually, i wasnt referring to you hsimpson, just the rest of the posters. You're right about the half-life 2 graphics. Looks amazing.

How do I know what "feral" means? Not from the dictionary...

diablo 2, baby.

By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 05:54 pm: Edit

Haha, got it...

If videogames are a waste of time, then so is/are...

Movies
Sleeping in later than needed
Watching TV

I love doing all those things so... and in all you don't gain knowledge or social skills.

By Nealp (Nealp) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 06:11 pm: Edit

i thought i was the only one who calls track and cross country participants GERBILS. haha.

By Hsimpson2k4 (Hsimpson2k4) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 07:17 pm: Edit

Who can't wait for October 28th? If you don't know why this date is significant, then you aren't as stoked for this game as I am. It'll be so awesome! You Diablo 2 fans should like it...

By Neo (Neo) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 07:30 pm: Edit

I'm waiting for the sequel to Splinter Cell to come out. On the X-Box :^)

And again, Alimshk, why is this thread under "What are my chances"? Take your video-gaming hatred somewhere else!

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 07:48 pm: Edit

Meh, whats Oct 28? Its not like the 1.10 patch is coming out...

By Hsimpson2k4 (Hsimpson2k4) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 07:57 pm: Edit

It has nothing to do with Diablo except that it will a huge MMORPG! I'm threw beating around the bush, it's FFXI.

By Futureal (Futureal) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 12:28 am: Edit

cs > tv anytime... come on

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 12:42 am: Edit

meh, hell will freeze before I pay monthly fees to play a game.

Cmon guys. PC games suck. Admit it. It's all about Final Fantasy VII and the godly console RPG's.

By Pat57575 (Pat57575) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 02:31 am: Edit

I second that jason! Final fantasy and zelda all the way.

Oh, and anyone that knocks on videogames, or anything else for that matter, for lack of educational or social value should read "The Bacchae" by Euripides.

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 10:06 am: Edit

Nah

By Crnchycereal (Crnchycereal) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 10:22 am: Edit

Well, I'll have to disagree with the statement that videogames suck/are pointless. Like any other medium, they are a source of entertainment and I personally find them enjoyable. And I don't really discriminate between PC and console games that much (I'm a fan of CS, DoD, and tons of console RPGs). Anyway, they certainly haven't interfered with my academic life. Though I may not play AS much as I used to (back in middle school, I could spend 4 hours straight on an RPG), I still find time to play some every day AFTER all my work is done. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I still think they're really fun.

By Whzup44412 (Whzup44412) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 10:47 am: Edit

Actually videogames have been scientifically proven to increase your intelligence. I read on the internet about a study from a test group of people who played videogames for 1 hour each day (compared to those who didn't play out all). The group was given a memory test at the beginning of the resarch experiment. Those who played videogames were found to increase their skills 5-8% more than those that didn't play. Also, videogames are becoming a really social thing. And yeah, i'm #1 in my class and play them.

By Ksolo (Ksolo) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 11:20 am: Edit

In the late great video gaming magazine, Next Generation, they have an issue where they interviewed a professor at MIT, regarding video gaming, and its benefits and negative points. He really said a lot of things in favor of video games being good. Hmmn, wonder if I still have that issue somewhere around?

By Hsimpson2k4 (Hsimpson2k4) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 11:38 am: Edit

Alright so 13 bux a month is a little rough, but think of all the money you save from not buying/renting other games. Anyway, I consider it my smoking/drinking money. (Stuff I have never done.)

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 12:56 pm: Edit

lol

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 01:05 pm: Edit

"think of all the money you save from not buying/renting other games"

but think of all the money you save from not buying/renting games at ALL

By Hsimpson2k4 (Hsimpson2k4) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 01:19 pm: Edit

Alright. Well the money you save on not buying video games is the less than the money I save by not buying prep books, tutoring services, etc.
=P

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 02:05 pm: Edit

So what if you're #1 in your class and play video games everyday? That doesn't mean you have a social life Whzup44412. I find it far far more productive to play or learn a sport than to play video games. Think of all the time/money spent on video games in high school . . . with all of that I bet you could have gone on a really cool adventure, paid for an interesting trip, learned a new sport, or something else. Maybe you could worked harder on some ECs.

By Hsimpson2k4 (Hsimpson2k4) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 02:33 pm: Edit

First of all, if you play video games with your friends, it is social. You don't have to go somewhere in order to have a social life. Also, this is why I don't think you understand or play the right games.

"Think of all the time/money spent on video games in high school . . . with all of that I bet you could have gone on a really cool adventure"

Video games are really cool adventures and you go on them daily rather than for a week! You've lost your inner child and can't have fun doing something unless there is a purpose. Sorry...

I hope you have fun working 100 hour weeks while we get just as much of money and have fun with our lives.

I feel sorry for you alimshk. You think that it is better to improve you college app than to have fun. Do you frequently go out with your friends and "learn new sports"?

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 02:44 pm: Edit

i don't pay for videogame because there are more useful things i can do with my money - food.

That is not to say i don't play them. I play them a lot, i just don't pay for them a lot.

PS. Me Asshcroft(intetional error) - my bad days are over, please don't arrest me.....ahhhh help me he's here already!!!!!!! HEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!!

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 02:56 pm: Edit

maybe I don't like sports.

Plus, some video games are "interesting adventures". Hell, RPG's are basically novels. I learned lots of SAT words from videogames. So it's fun AND educational (not much, I admit). Not many things with those 2 qualities

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 04:49 pm: Edit

Videogames just aren't fun for me. If they're fun for you, great.

By Hsimpson2k4 (Hsimpson2k4) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 05:02 pm: Edit

Is the pic on your profile you? If it is you HAVE to teach me how to do that on Photoshop!!!

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 05:07 pm: Edit

Yeah, it's me. I used the cutout tool on photoshop and played around with the settings. Then I changed it to greyscale.

By Hsimpson2k4 (Hsimpson2k4) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 05:16 pm: Edit

It's really cool.

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 05:50 pm: Edit

Thanks.

By Hsimpson2k4 (Hsimpson2k4) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 06:54 pm: Edit

So, my question is how long did that take you and how was it not a "waste of time"???

PWNED!!!

=P

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 07:18 pm: Edit

lol, you can only say PWNED if you've played EQ before.

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 07:19 pm: Edit

But I made the graphic during my graphic design class freshman year because I finished my project early!

PWNED, tksu~

By Hsimpson2k4 (Hsimpson2k4) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 07:26 pm: Edit

First of all, pwned comes from CS. Second, it is a gamers-only term and since video games are a waste of time, you don't have the right to use it. Third, how do you know I've never played Ever Quest before? Lastly, it is still a waste of time. It doesn't matter when it was, you could have been studying for the SAT I!!! I still PWN J00!!!

By Seventoedsloth (Seventoedsloth) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 09:09 pm: Edit

The SAT is supposed to measure how smart you are since your GPA demonstrates your work ethic. Studying is just for people who realize they are too stupid to do well on their own brain power. Studying is the real waste of time.

By Hsimpson2k4 (Hsimpson2k4) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 09:18 pm: Edit

Well in that case, I repeat, it doesn't matter when it was, you SHOULD have been studying for the SAT I!!!

BURN!!!

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 09:18 pm: Edit

no studying is for people who work hard. Being smart will not get you ANYTHING in life. I speak 4 languages and have a 600 on my verbal sat. I also consistently score 800 on the math( i still haven't taken the real thing). Being smart doesn't get you ANYWHERE unless you work for it. I know a guy who works FOUR jobs to keep himself alive, and he is also the smartest, most naturally tallented man i know(he remembers what day of the week any date in the last 40 years was and a bunch of other wierd stuff).
He is a high school english department assistant, a coach of 2 clubs at a different school, a pizza delivery man, a magazine writer and something else.
And btw the SAT doesn't mean crap, it is a test long ago mastered by tutoring companies, and a little HARD WORK will easily get you a 1500+ if you have a parent with a thick wallet.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 09:31 pm: Edit

ouch! PWNED!!1!1

By Enosis (Enosis) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 11:00 pm: Edit

Give games a couple hundred years. Students will have to play the classics for school. College students will study Miyamoto (Zelda, Mario) like they study Shakespeare now. Video games tell a story. They are the most modern adaptation of screenwriting and storytelling, and each person's experience with them is truly unique.

By Wickedpriest (Wickedpriest) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 11:33 pm: Edit

Battle Field 1942
Jedi Academy
Splinter Cell
Medal of Honor
Diablo 2
War Craft III
Half Life

Enough Said?

By Neo (Neo) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 01:31 am: Edit

Enough Said, bro :^)

Someday they'll add the Halo trilogy to that list. And Super Mario Brothers (the original, on the monochrome GameBoy)

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 01:32 am: Edit

No not enough said.

Final Fantasy 7
Zelda: Link to the PAst
Final Fantasy 6
Lufia 2
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Breath of Fire 4

enough said?

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 01:45 am: Edit

those are the crap games jason.
They're old. i mean look at the numbers, final fantasy 7? how much did the first 6 have to suck for them to make a 7th one. And the fact that people buy the 7th version of a game is just plain sad.
And stop pwned people, you sound gay.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 01:57 am: Edit

jesus, you don't like these games (if thats even possible)? you apparently have no taste in good games, sir.

Oh and age has nothing to do with it. In fact, the older games are (generally) better than newer crap games that are all graphics and no gameplay. In most cases.

By Greatsurgeon (Greatsurgeon) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 09:54 am: Edit

aw hell. CS is the ••••. i play crazy sports and have crazy activites, so to relax a little bit i play CS... what harm does that do?

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 02:56 pm: Edit

Yeah, Rubenizm pwns. Hard work > natural intelligence. And you're a loser if you still go out to buy FF7. -Nuff said.

By Hsimpson2k4 (Hsimpson2k4) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 03:41 pm: Edit

All this video game talk inspired me to go apply to Game Stop. I'll let you all know if I got hired in 1-2 weeks.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page