Chances at Yale looking grim....

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Chances at Yale looking grim....
By Haithman (Haithman) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 09:35 am: Edit

Ah where shall i begin?

A little about myself- Iam of arab decent born here in the U.S. My parents were born in Africa (Uganda) but were forced to leave because of Idi Amin and came to the U.S. as refugees when they were about 17 and 18. My Grandmother, and my Great Grandmother are both black. One from Uganda and the other from Madagascar. Aside from english i also speak swahili (the native language of tanzania, kenya, and some of uganda).

I had always known that i wanted to go to college but i never really took it seriously. I just thought i could basically "chill" in school and then go to college that easily. During the second quarter of last year (freshman year in hs) something just clicked in my head, i found this site and it made me realize how hard i had to work to get into the school of my choice. Then i fell in love with Yale. I promised myself whatever it takes, or how hard it would be, that i would get into Yale. So after a shaky first semester i managed to get almost straight A's for the second semester and end up with a 3.4 GPA for my freshman year.

This year iam taking all accelerated (Honors and G/T) classes so that i can prepare for the Ap's that are coming next year.
This is a rundown of my schedule. now and what i hope for after that

soph. (now)
Alg. 2 (total waste of time just want to get over cause its a requirment)
Geometry (another total waste of time)
Chemistry Honors
World History Honors
Mythology
Spanish 1 (yes haha laugh all you want)
G/T English 10 (basically Ap for soph.)
Business Communications
Designs in clay
CIP

Probably Junior Year
Ap English 11
Ap US History
Ap Physics
G/T Pre-Calc
Spanich 2
Health (ugh)
Sports History
SAT review (have to)

Probably Senior Year

Ap English 12
Ap Government
Ap Calculus
Ap Stats
Ap Chemistry
Astronomy
Spanish 3
EPI

To me it seems like i have a pretty good schedule but i only have one problem. or atleast i think i do. If i wanted to apply to Yale early (EA or ED i dont know which one yale follows) would i have to apply at the end of my 11th grade year? And if i did how would they know about all of the Ap classes iam going to take in my senior year? Would they just look up until my junior year and admit or defer me from those stats or will they also look at my senior year stats and grades?

Iam sorry that i wrote so much but iam really worried about how this will turn out for me.
Thank you very much.
-Haitham Said

By Esmerelda (Esmerelda) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 11:01 am: Edit

hey, don't worry! Good for you for thinking that far ahead. Early Action single choice is what Yale uses (You can only apply to Yale early but it is not binding) and the application is due in early November of your senior year. November first this year. So, they do see your Senior year classes as well as your senior year first marking period grades. I don't know any colleges that make you apply at the end of junior year. I think you may have been misinformed. Most early decition/action applications are due in November and regular decisions can be due between november and early January (depending on the school, some schools want you to apply as early as possible). So, really, you have time. I think you have a good chance of getting in, as long as you keep your grades up there, and study like mad for the SATs and SAT IIs (you have to take three for yale!) if you don't do well on them already. Many colleges don't mind a crummy begining freshman year as long as you shape up and improve. so, yay! Also, how are your extra curriculars? Because they look at that a lot. As you are a sophomore, if you don't have many extracuriculars, it's not too late. Find something you love and work at it for the next few years. Find your passion. Something you would want to continue in college and all your life. Get a job, try an internship, start a club, learn to fence, try out for a play, write for the newspaper, the lit mag, volenteer, join habitat for humanity, play a sport, whatever. Find and enjoy as many opportutities as you can find. My last piece of advise? Look at other schools too. Be fexible to change. Putting all your hopes on one school is not a good idea, especially one as competitive as Yale. I'm not saying you won't get in, I'm just saying that Yale is a reach to EVERYONE. As are most ivies. The competition is maddening. Look at other schools as well, and good luck! Try to enjoy high school while still working hard.

By Haithman (Haithman) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 11:19 am: Edit

Thanks alot for the reply.
Yea i play varsity soccer right now and will join the math club when they resume their sessions. I am also planning on joining newspaper and getting into the national honor society next year. When i get my license iam going to get a job (if that is an ec) and also try and to maybe get an internship at the local universities (UMBC) science or computer department and maybe do some volunteer work at a hospital.
When i was 13 i tried to open my own business but i had to shut it down due to some financial problems and lack of experience in the business world but i may try to start that up again.
Yea i do have some other schools in mind but i just put yale on here because that is the one that i want into most. I also have Princeton, Upenn., Dartmouth, NYU, and U of Maryland on my list alond with some other safeties. Thank you for the reply it was much appreciated.
-Haitham Said

By Esmerelda (Esmerelda) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 05:06 pm: Edit

UMCP is a good safety or UMBC. Aren't there a lot of maryland people on this site?!> weird. MD has a lot of oportunities for interning too. NIST and NIH are always looking for interns. Depending on where in MD you live, this could be a good opportunity for you. Oh, and NRL in DC. OR you could try working at the Library of Congress, my friends have done that. Or the zoo, or whatever, if you can get to the metro. Just some suggestions :). GOOD LUCK! I, myself, am applying to Yale EA, i think. I'm a senior, and totally wish i had done more EC, but I think I'm okay. I'm also applying to UMCP, and some other schools (alot of which are reaches) but we'll see. oo, nerves!

By Jnorsky18 (Jnorsky18) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 11:25 pm: Edit

wow, u got started early, i didnt start thinking about college till beginning of junior year, i have good grades, probably in top decile, and skipped years and stuff, but i couldve done better. Also i have no ec except for baseball, which i am all - league in and swimming, i give u cheers for starting early enough to get things into gear . good luck

By Haithman (Haithman) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 09:40 am: Edit

Thank you all for the responses.
-Haitham Said

By Haithman (Haithman) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 12:57 pm: Edit

bump

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 01:39 pm: Edit

Keep your focus on the grades. You will need to continue improving to keep Ivy League schools on your list. However, as a previous poster noted, there are many fine schools around that are not Ivys, and you should investigate as many as you can.

Regarding ECs - you should try as many as you can. But don't take something up or stick with it because someone tells you it will look good on your college application. Get involved with activities that really engage you - ones you really enjoy and learn from. For better or worse, college admissions staff appear to be favoring students who focus on a few ECs over those who have one year of everything, but follow your genuine interests regardless.

By Haithman (Haithman) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 08:07 pm: Edit

bizzybump

By Haithman (Haithman) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 07:00 pm: Edit

hmm no one else?

By Ken (Ken) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 10:08 am: Edit

Vipi Haithman,
This is Ken the Kenyan and I just wanted u to know how pleased i am to see somebody of East African origin . It can get quite lonely on this board u know. Anyway I think with your determination u probably will enter Yale. I'm also applying Yale EA and i wish i could say the same about myself.....

By Haithman (Haithman) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 08:55 pm: Edit

Hey Ken,

If i can recall i do remember seeing your stats and they looked excelent an i wish you luck in admission to yale.

Oh yes i have one more question, can i still have a shot at yale if i only take 3 years of spanish?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page